Seeking Advice - Install of small driver foams

Drugolf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Doing my first small driver surrounds - 4" - 3.5" size and it doesn't seem easy. Trying my first one it didn't seem to be going all that well so I pulled it off and here I am.

Any little tricks you can share? Maybe I need to let the glue dry just a little more before starting the press?

These particular ones are for AR 48bs. Foams from Rick Cobb and using his white glue.

Thanks!

I'm not sure of what problems you are having, but here's how I do all my surround's.

I use Aleene's Tacky Glue applied to both surfaces and I use a small flux brush that I cut the bristles off to about 1/4" long to smooth out, distribute, and remove any excess glue. I normally apply glue to the cone first and then the surround since it tends to get tacky quicker. I then position the surround and begin to apply light pressure, if glue is oozing or the surround is sliding around then it is not tacky enough, so separate and wait a few minutes then try again. When the position of the surround is correct and the glue is tacky enough you can apply pressure as needed to bond the cone to the surround. Any glue can be cleaned up using a toothpick or small screwdriver followed by wiping with a moistened t-shirt.

I think you were correct in stating that the glue was not tacky enough. Best of luck.

Last edited:
What's been said above but I use Aleena's fast grab glue.

Another trick is a hair dryer to speed up the stick while fingering things together.

Do the cone first. The basket should be easy and there I use a test tone while the glue sets.
Short tests as the glue drys to check alignment.

Yeah, it just wasnt tacky enough it seemed. I will let it sit a bit before trying to get it to stick.
Just a lot less forgiving than larger size surrounds.

Ever done a set of 901's? Maddening! Sooooo many drivers, will never do another pair as I scratched that itch. Same with restoring Maggies.

I struggled with my IMF TLS50II Elac 4EM/101 surrounds because not only were they small, but there was hardly any shoulder built into the basket. I centered the foam on the cone itself by eye and glued that first, letting it dry overnight. Then I glued the perimeter of the surrounds to the basket and used the test tone method to ensure no rubbing as the glue dried. Another trick is to not use too much glue - don't be afraid to get your finger in there to spread out what you've put down as a thin coat and wipe up the excess.

Ever done a set of 901's? Maddening! Sooooo many drivers, will never do another pair as I scratched that itch. Same with restoring Maggies.
Yup! They were pretty easy to do, just so many of them. I made cardboard rings the diameter of the basket surface and once I was happy with the surround position and ring position, I weighted it while the glue dried. Worked great. I did the same with the AR 12's mids, even smaller than the 901 drivers.

Okay thanks guys. You think the 910's were a lot to deal with, I have a long way to go with these Imperial 9's! ALL OF THEM!
x2
0425170932a_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom