Seeking recommendations for all in set up $2000-3000!

gazingupward

I’d love to get your thoughts and recommendations as I am working on putting together a new system basically from scratch.

A little info for you. I have been around music for a long time working with a number of bands and concert venues. I have always gravitated towards a warmer sound (I instinctively think tube amp when I think of the type of guitar amp I would want or nowadays something like a Berhinger that can simulate a tube sound among many other options because depending on the style of music, there may be occasions I’d want a more solid state sound.) I listen to pretty much all types of music but often listen to indie rock, shoegazer, alternative, edm, hip-hop, remixes, etc.

I work for a nonprofit and have a hard time justifying spending so much money on speakers considering what I make. But music means so much to me and I have been saving up for a new system for a while. Even with that, it’s (relatively) really a tight budget.

This system is going to have to serve for both music & home theater purposes. Let’s say 50/50 split music & movies.

As mentioned, I work for a nonprofit. Actually, my wife and I work for a college ministry with 2 focused ministries. One is for the general college student population and the other is for international college students. I say all that to say we will host events & parties at our house for students where we will play music and dance, as well as have a set up for karaoke. I plan to attach a 4 channel mixer to the system so I can run some mics and computer for karaoke parties, especially for the internationals. The karaoke is less of a factor in this discussion really but the parties are still.

Not that I expect this to achieve club levels or anything but…

The environment: Well, we just bought a fixer upper. We are currently giving it an overhaul with our remodeling renovations. The house is pretty empty. So, currently listening to a set up is far from ideal. Even when we get things set up, it will still not be the best acoustical environment. This area is an open floor plan with a funky layout. It has concrete floors. We will probably throw down an area rug or maybe two.

We will have a sectional in front of the tv/front speakers with the main seating facing about 9 feet from the wall.

The speakers will probably not be able to be placed an ideal distance from the wall but placed on top of an entertainment system cabinets. Nor will there be a natural sweet spot for listening to music as this will often happen as I am up and moving and not simply sitting in the hot seat. A sweet spot will be more true for movie viewing but again when hosting a movie night there could be upwards of 20-30 people scattered around the great room area with varied viewing/listening angles.

Ideally, I’d love to have a 5.1 set up… well, ideally I’d love to have an atmos set up but I’m trying to be realistic. :)

I have considered a 4.1 set up due to budgeting limitations but also because after listening to a recent 2.1 set up in this far from ideal empty house I felt like something was missing. One conclusion I came to was that I like to feel like I’m overcome by the music (surrounded/enveloped). So, I felt like a multichannel stereo or dolby listening experience might be what I need but I don’t know.

I was listening to KEF LS50’s with a SVS SB 1000 on a Denon AVR X1500h that had not been set up yet with Audessey or really configured much at all beyond the basic plug and play. I recognize my environment is harsh and could also play a factor. I have considered trading the x1500h for the x3400h as it would have 105 watts vs 80 or 85 watts. I’ve heard people say that the LS50’s need at least 100 watts to really sound good despite KEF’s claims. Idk.

I chose these per a Best Buy recommendation based on my budget, aesthetic desire for white speakers (these LS50’s do look sweet).

I did also audition the LS50W’s (powered) and when they were cranked, the highs seemed too harsh for me. I had to ask it to be turned down. This was in a listening room at Best Buy. At the time, I didn’t make the connection.

I do like the LS50’s and think they sound good on the one hand but still feel like something is missing. Would adding rears (and maybe a center) make the difference? Idk. Turning up the bass helps but still… I also wonder about listening fatigue with these.

I will listen at low to medium levels but do definitely like to crank it up and rock out so to speak. Again, these LS50’s often seem harsh when cranking it up. Turning up the bass and dropping the treble a notch does help but…

I also often listen on shuffle and noticed that I kept wanting to tweak the eq with different songs to get a better sound when it was turned up… but this is far from ideal. Most of the music I listen to I suppose would be considered poor recording quality in the audiophile world.

I also do love the way the LS50’s look. Aesthetics are important to me. While my ideal is to get white speakers, I could be open to dropping that for blacks. But aesthetics will take a back seat to other things as necessary.

I do have a turntable but it has a preamp built in so I can get by without a preamp in the receiver. It’s also far from my main music listening source.

At this stage, I have been considering buying a bunch of different types to audition and compare in my home environment to see what I like best. Some of the ones I had been thinking about include (but I’m still learning and being exposed to new ones):

KEF LS50’s, Q150’s, Q350’s, center?

Canton Vento (accessories4less.com) for front & center, not sure about rears

Elac Debut 2.0, Unifi Slim or maybe Unifi UB5 ?

SVS Ultras for Front, Primes for rear, not sure about center (B&W?)

B&W’s 600’s, htm7

I feel like I should probably rule these out but they were a consideration.
Kef T205
Bose Acoustimas 10

Others???

Reviews of the Buchardts sound promising too but not sure how I could make those work with a full setup.

I again was leaning toward the SVS sub as it was the most regularly recommended “best” sub option but am open to other ideas on this too.

And I’m looking at bookshelves not towers.

Oh, and the all important question of budget. My ideal budget would be $2000 all in. However, I believe I can swing taking that up to $2500 or even $3000 if I really, really stretch it. I would basically be planning/hoping on this system lasting us for decades

I picked up the Denon x1500h for $400. The Denon x3400h is going for $600 ($500 refurbished). The SVS SB1000 was $600 and LS50’s $1000. All are still in the window for free returns.

I’m far from a true audiophile but I do love audio and have a more discerning ear than that random guy on the street I’d say.

So, with all that said, I’d love to hear your thoughts and any recommendations you could make for speakers/systems I should check out.

Oh, I’d prefer not to buy something that I’d have to return and pay for shipping/restocking fee and lose out on money. I just don’t have it to be throwing away. That is one challenge with the Cantons.

One last thought, I am leaning toward getting Sennheiser PXC550’s (waiting for them to drop below $200 again) over Bose QC35’s & Sony 1000MX3’s. The Bose and Sony NC bothered my ears but on top of that I just like the sound of the Sennheiser’s better. Granted a room system is different than headphones in a number of ways but I threw that in for what it’s worth.

As an added note, I've always preferred studio recordings to live as well. And I was thinking about my headphone comment, I do think the Bose headphones sound good but the NC was messing with me whereas the Sennheiser's sounded great and the NC didn't hurt my ears.

Oh, I have until mid January to return the Kef's / SVS. So, it is a relatively short window unfortunately.

I recognize this is all a challenge in many ways and is largely dependent on personal tastes and whatnot but I appreciate you taking time to think and guide me in this process.

Any insights and leads you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(Sorry this is so long but in some ways figured it's better to provide more detail to hopefully produce more relevant results.)

LS50s plus a sub is not enough...wow. How big is your room? I run LS50s and an old Velodyne 10" sub crossed over at 80hz in a small room and feel enveloped by sound, especially with edm. Personally, I don't think the ls50s are rock the house type speakers though so I feel you a bit. I also think since you've an avr just adding a center channel will help fill the room. Still if the room is big and you are looking to do dance party type activities I'd look into bigger high sensitivity speaker like Klipsch or Tekton.

The KEF T205 system is on sale until December 31, 2018 or until they run out. They are available in white. Their thin size is great when wall mounted. I am using them for my HT system with good results in a room about 14' x 11'. They may not work well in a larger room. Good luck with your project.

Boy this could go all over the place. :)

If you do like the LS-50s for the most part, I'd say keep them, at least for the time being. But do tell us what you feel is 'missing'. Do you have the SVS sub in white, and if so, does it match well with the speakers, visually? Just curious. A big part of getting a sub to sound good is to set it up properly. With the LS-50's, I would start with the crossover at or near the lowest end of the range, like 50-60 Hz, and I would hook it up using the speaker-level inputs, not the RCA jacks. If you don't have it like this, try it. Make sure that your front speakers are set to 'Large', if that is the paradigm your current amp uses. Set the level so that you can't really notice it, unless you turn it off. With most program material, turning it off should make you realize that something is missing, but turning it on again should not be really obvious.

There are lots of people who seem to think the LS-50s can get a little edgy, but this may be tame-able with warmer electronics. I really like the way modern Marantz gear sounds these days, judging mainly by my SACD player, but also my friend's SR-7008, which sounds really good. The SR-7012 is the current version, and it is on sale at MusicDirect now: https://www.musicdirect.com/receiver/Marantz-SR7012-Surround-Receiver
They currently have an open-box one for $150 less: https://www.musicdirect.com/receiver/Marantz-SR7012-Surround-Receiver-OPEN-BOX
Same warranty, same satisfaction guarantee as with all their stuff. I'd get one, if only to rule out electronics as the source of your reservations. I don't see how you could go far wrong with it, no matter what else you end up with.

The other part of the harshness equation is the room. Send us a picture or two of the room, so we can make recommendations. This may be vital to a successful installation. A bad room can mess up any system, but usually an open floor plan is a plus. What you want to eliminate are early reflections. I know you say that you may have listeners all over, but a good seating position is needed for evaluation, so put a chair in the middle of the speakers so they form a triangle. I think you should set up your sub the way I suggested, and send us a picture or two, ASAP, so we can rule out configuration as the source of your doubts. Do some listening in stereo, with a 'direct' setting if your amp has one. Then tell us what you think. The results should be enough to make your 'return?' decision.

Thanks for your comments. Sorry for the lag in response. I returned the LS50's. I was able to a/b test them against a pair of paradigm's & dynaudio m20's both priced at $1k. The LS50's didn't stack up against either of these. I'm leaning towards the Dynaudio M20's for fronts, M10's for rears, & a M15 center now and probably pairing that with the Marantz 6012. My one concern is that the M20's & M15's are 4ohms & the M10's 6 ohms. Not sure how that will handle the load. I'd like for the system to last for years to come.

I'm not joining the discussion here to thread-crap, so please don't take it that way. It's simply an alternate viewpoint. My upgrade path moved away from multichannel to two-channel due to budget, and I spent a few times your proposed outlay.

My thinking goes like this: You have X dollars to spend on speakers. You can divide that between a two-speaker pair, or between four, five, or even more speakers. I feel I can get better sound from an X/2-each pair than I can by buying a larger number of lesser models.

Same for amplification. Again, I feel I can buy one good, two-channel integrated amp with DAC (or add an outboard) that sounds better and provides more power than spending the same amount of dough on a HT receiver packed with surround capabilities and lesser amp stages. When you toss reliability into the mix, as you have done at least twice, then the two-channel amp seems very likely to outlast a surround receiver, which your budget will dictate as the choice. And that both from a build-quality standpoint as well as a death-by-obsolescence one.

I guess I'm saying sometimes less really is more. Food for thought. To me this is obvious, others disagree. YMMV.

I would go fully active. Plop a set of Genelec "ones" in the room and be done with it. ELAC Air-X would be another option.

You stated that music was very important to you, so I assume not necessarily TV or movies.

Just my two cents. Since switching to 5.1 a couple decades ago, and having more than a few systems, I've not found any multi-channel system that sounds as good as a mediocre two-channel system. This includes using an EMOTIVA Pre-pro and an ATI 5-channel power amp along with the requisite sub-woofer.

Without blowing your whole budget on an "adequate" higher-end AVR/HT receiver, stay with a two-channel system.

If you're a movie buff, then an AVR may make sense.

Budget of 2k to stretch of 3k, as you state. I would go 2 channel, if music is your main focus. You can step up the quality a little easier, with fewer, but higher quality gear. Add a GOOD sub if needed.
Personnally, I'm not big fan of multichannel, so I'm biased.

Last edited:
Now for something completely different...

Lots of home theater folks repurpose pro audio speakers due to efficiency, durability, and sound quality. A small 2-way with an 8" or 10" midwoofer and a 1" compression driver can get stupid loud on AVR power...which means it and the AVR are both loafing at normal home listening levels. Of course the subwoofer does all of the heavy lifting below 80Hz. Unfortunately not many commercial offerings to chose from in the smaller sizes but you can get the JBL AC895 in white https://www.amazon.com/JBL-AC895-WH-8-inch-2-Way-Speaker/dp/B077MV4N8J http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/AC895_7.24.15.pdf You have a ton of options if you have room for a 12" monitor...just get the better quality units and avoid the cheap junk. Used can be bargain if you know what to look for.

DIY is also an option...particularly if you can live with whatever finish you can do. Duratex is pretty easy to work with and comes in white. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1519959-duratex-various-colors.html Lots of options...do a google search for econowave and SEOS to see what pops up.

Good luck!

I would focus on two channel. I would also rethink the bookshelf-only requirement. Consider Audio Note AZ-2 speakers (~$1600) or AZ-3 (~$2000), which can be placed close to walls/corners and are very efficient, needing only a few watts to produce a warm room-filling sound. And then have a look at the KingKo KA-101 (~$800) tube amp, or a used Audio Note OTO.

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/az-2_01.shtml

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/az-3_01.shtml

http://kingkoaudio.com/en/pages/KINGKO-AUDIO.html

https://www.dagogo.com/kingko-audio-ka-101-integrated-amplifier-review/

883F0F77-EB44-49B9-9324-D6EF37F55796.jpeg

1ABDCB2C-5AB2-4950-9863-F6614D9BA3A7.jpeg

Last edited:
We sold Denon, Yamaha, Hafler, B&K, NAD, Marantz, Sony, B&O etc over the years. And though Dennon has a great reputation, I prefer Pioneer and Nad sonically. Less fatiguing for those of us that still have our high frequency capabilities. Some speakers NAD can be to laid back, but over all NAD has a pleasant sound as long as you stay away from the Class D stuff. I didn't like Carver's Class D stuff either. I mean even Mcintosh is making Class D now! So there must be possibilities for the format.. If you want to go back in time Sansui. Way back Phase Linear, Bose, Aiwa, Kenwood, BGW, Crest, but I found them to be losers. Lot of folks like Adcom, sometimes I thought it could great other times, just passable. Different electronics relate differently to different speakers. If you like Kef and have your HF hearing you definitely want non fatiguing electronics.. Some Tannoy and a lot of newer B&W speakers can also be sensitive to tiring electronics. I guess that's why tubes and LP's are becoming popular again. I used to like Quad electronics, but that can be an expensive proposition, Just like Mcintosh and older tubed Marantz and Citation.

Back
Top Bottom