Seeking sockets for cost no object build.

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by trainbuftony, Jul 11, 2018.

1. trainbuftony

trainbuftony Electron Herder Subscriber

I recently came into a pair of Acrosound Ultralinear 2 amplifiers. I got a great deal on the first one and paid the same price for the second one. Looking over the circuit and the literature indicates that this amp is one to buy the best parts available for, and rebuild. I have ordered some really nice passive components and I bought a set of spare circuit boards from Brice. Thanks Brice. The boards are very well done and I'm using only premium components. Metal film resistors and nice capacitors are available from a variety of sources, and I don't have trouble finding and selecting good components. Where I run into a wall is with the tube sockets. I just haven't found anything that appears to be the same or better quality than the boards and passive components I'm using. I need 6 octal sockets, and 4 noval 9 pin pcb mount sockets to complete the amp. Does anyone have a source for super high quality sockets that they can share? The kicker is that they need to mount to a PCB. I'm open to hearing everyone's input, however I have already looked at a variety of Chinese made ceramic and plastic sockets, and nothing has jumped out at me as being really well made. Cost is no object here, if I end up spending $50 each to have the best sockets available on earth, that is fine, I'm ok with it. Please throw me a bone here....

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kward

kward AK Subscriber Subscriber

Regardless of cost I think Belton sockets are some of the best made in the world. They also happen to work for folks on a budget. They make them in chassis mount and PCB mount in both 8 pin and 9 pin varieties. They are made with a glass fiber material and have perhaps the best pin grip I've ever seen on a tube socket.

triode17 and trainbuftony like this.
  3. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

I'd start with a rec from @Brice as he spun up the boards. He used something as the design center for sockets, what was it? The PCB through-hole does not leave you much leeway for fitting socket pins larger than specified. That may eliminate most of the Japanese and Chinese HQ ones unfortunately, those pins are huge.

trainbuftony likes this.
  4. trainbuftony

I asked Brice first. The supplier he used was Angela instruments and they no longer list that socket as far as I can tell.

5. kward

kward AK Subscriber Subscriber

Right...I doubt the Beltons will work on an existing PCB with a socket outline and pin size already set.

6. trainbuftony

Well they (the belton sockets) are cheap enough I could order them and decide not to use them if I don't like what I get. I want to hear what others have to say, and I'll maybe order a set of beltons after work today.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. primosounds

primosounds SE KT120 w/ 6J5G drivers. LCLC ps + 2 x 5ar4 Subscriber

I have some old stock, usa made, but they are the plastic type. Good standard sockets. I don't do pcb, so i doubt if i will use them. PM if you are interested.

8. Brice

Brice AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi guys,

Yes, I looked at the Belton octal socket and like them, but because of their straight pins, that makes the pads very close to each other.
    Too close to my taste as I enforce a minimum of 2 mm clearance between traces.

I am also surprised to see that no other manufacturer have products like this.

Primo, after Tony buy you what he needs, if you have some left I am a buyer. Thanks
    Brice.

trainbuftony likes this.