Seeking sockets for cost no object build.

That's what I've taken to using, in my "higher end" projects.

The only ones I categorically will NOT use are the ceramic sockets. They are bad for transmitting mechanical noise to the tube, and are also rough on tube pins (any mis-alignment of the socket pins puts a lot of stress on the tube pins- which can, in worst case, actually crack glass-base (miniature) tubes! They don't sound good, and they might damage a tube- no thanks!
You mean Chinese made ceramic sockets. I use usa amphenol and ef johnson ceramic sockets all the time. Even used ones are often better than current made. The chinese made have very poor tolerances. I had one socket that i found that a misindexed tube could still go in far enough like it was in properly and operate. So, you can't install a tube by "feel" with those ceramic sockets, inspite of the pretty gold flashing .

While "better" ceramic sockets may not be a danger to the tubes- they still aggravate microphonics (mechanical noise transmission to the tube).

That, plus IIRC, something about the dielectric properties, was the reason VAC stopped using ceramic sockets (they look to now use something that's either Belton, or very close in similarity).

Regards,
Gordon.

I have some old Soviet surplus ceramic sockets that are really sturdy, but the pins are a very tight fit. Actually works decent with Russian tubes that have the pointy pins, not so well with old US rounded pin tubes. I have one in use for the eye tube on my hacked together Fisher MPX unit. I don't expect microphonics are an issue for that.

I'm feeling optimistic about the Cinch sockets which I ordered. If the vendors photo is the real deal then they are the OEM design, and will match perfectly with the 9 pin sockets which primo provided. The examples I have on the old boards have 3 large contact points for each pin, and work very smoothly.

Try to find some Eby sockets, most are mil-spec and come in ceramic or phenolic. 9729-181-00-00 is their part number for PC mount sockets. I bought 100 sockets a few years ago for about $100 at surplus store. On the Eby site there several part numbers to chase down, that's how I found the sockets I bought. I used some in Conrad Johnson MV75. I soldered wire pigtails to the socket pins and then soldered them to the circuit board.

Craig

While "better" ceramic sockets may not be a danger to the tubes- they still aggravate microphonics (mechanical noise transmission to the tube).

That, plus IIRC, something about the dielectric properties, was the reason VAC stopped using ceramic sockets (they look to now use something that's either Belton, or very close in similarity).

Regards,
Gordon.
Gordan - On point one, aggravated microphonics, how so? I think a 'glass' or phenolic socket will conduct any possible vibration just as well as a ceramic. But i don't find that the ceramics are prone to micros. Use them in my ST70 and another homemade amp without any microphonics.
Point Two, "the reason VAC",... is probably just because of cost. Belton's are excellent BTW, in 9 pin or 8 Pin.
I find ceramics the best for power tubes, as they act like a heatsink and draw some of the heat away.

Belton/mica has far more mechanical damping than ceramic. It will damp out vibration far better.

BTW- the Beltons and their ilk cost more than ceramic sockets, in the numbers VAC buys, from what I've been told... but they're more consistent quality, and sound better. A few cents more is quite justified!

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom