(Seiki) Micro MR-111 in need of stylus or cartridge

Camoflamingo

I have a turntable that's badged as a Micro MR-111. Googling has led to suggestions of it being made by Seiki but there's no indication of that on the deck itself.

Anyway, the stylus looks to be badly in need of replacement and turntable gives low volume so I'd very much like to identify and replace the stylus. The stylus has a relatively large black letter 'e' on it. I assume the cartridge is original.

Failing identifying the needed stylus, I wondered can anyone recommend a compatible cartridge. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on one as the turntable was really cheap and I'm on quite a tight budget. So it needn't be aural nirvana, just reasonable.

Thanks for any help.

A picture would help identify the cartridge. Certainly you could buy the cheapest AT and install it, and you'd enjoy it, but alignment and so on are are hassle than simply replacing the stylus. So even if a new stylus costs more than the AT (which I think you can get in a unlabelled version for 12 bucks or so), it might be worth it.
If you aren't getting sufficient volume, the question immediately is: Are you running it into a phono section? What reciever/amp are you using?
Micro Seikis usually are nice tables.

Here's the cartridge. I have was led to believe by the previous owner that it's probably original.20171202_125437.jpg

You can see the E on the stylus20171202_125629.jpg

Here's the amp, a Prinzlux SA-2001. I got it for free and I'm very happy with it.

I'm going to replace the stylus in any case because it looks very black and worn.

Thank you.

20171202_130248.jpg

If the stylus is black, that's probably gunk, which can be cleaned off. Whether the stylus is still good or not can only be told by looking at it under a microscope, and by listening. I poke around a bit to see if replacement styli are out there. And don't toss the cartridge if you move on -- someone might want it.
Don't know the amp - I assume it has a magnetic cartridge input which ought to give you sufficient volume. Perhaps it's switched to ceramic cartridge.
Does the turntable no have a base? It looks like its just on the particle board cut out. Nice table by the way

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like you could be right about it being a VF-3200. Other pictures I've found online of this cartridge match mine as far as I can see. In particular the hole in the front of the cartridge to take the stylus and the groove along the side.

A little confusing are the references I've seen to different versions of this cartridge.

Can anyone confirm the VF-3200 was the standard cartridge for this turntable?

Also, can anyone refer me to any suitable styluses for this cartridge please?

Many thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like you could be right about it being a VF-3200. Other pictures I've found online of this cartridge match mine as far as I can see. In particular the hole in the front of the cartridge to take the stylus and the groove along the side.

A little confusing are the references I've seen to different versions of this cartridge.

Can anyone confirm the VF-3200 was the standard cartridge for this turntable?

Also, can anyone refer me to any suitable styluses for this cartridge please?

Many thanks.

From what I have read, the white stylus carrier with the letter E is a Micro Seiki V-3100E stylus. :idea:

Please check your information.
http://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_253&products_id=9946

From what I have read, the white stylus carrier with the letter E is a Micro Seiki V-3100E stylus. :idea:

Please check your information.
http://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_253&products_id=9946

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately it's not the right stylus but your post has prompted me to clean mine up and take a good look at it.

In addition to the 'E' (against a silver background) to the front this old stylus has a large circle on each of the sides. There is a clear plastic magnifying cover that swivels. It magnifies the 'E' and the stylus needle below. It's light grey in colour.

There are apparently a number of styluses that will fit the cartridge. Just a case of determining the type of cartridge for certain then finding out compatible styluses.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately it's not the right stylus but your post has prompted me to clean mine up and take a good look at it.

In addition to the 'E' (against a silver background) to the front this old stylus has a large circle on each of the sides. There is a clear plastic magnifying cover that swivels. It magnifies the 'E' and the stylus needle below. It's light grey in colour.

There are apparently a number of styluses that will fit the cartridge. Just a case of determining the type of cartridge for certain then finding out compatible styluses.

Check Micro Seiki V-3100 EⅡ. :idea:

If the stylus is black, that's probably gunk, which can be cleaned off. Whether the stylus is still good or not can only be told by looking at it under a microscope, and by listening. I poke around a bit to see if replacement styli are out there. And don't toss the cartridge if you move on -- someone might want it.
Don't know the amp - I assume it has a magnetic cartridge input which ought to give you sufficient volume. Perhaps it's switched to ceramic cartridge.
Does the turntable no have a base? It looks like its just on the particle board cut out. Nice table by the way

I'll double check it's in the right input, always worth checking. The volume is sufficient, it's just that I have to wind it up for the turntable a lot more than for other inputs.
Turntable has its original wooden housing, the picture angle is deceptive.
I didn't realise these turntables are quite highly regarded. I bought it secondhand about a year ago and haven't done much with it. It'll be great to have a new stylus for it.

Not unusual for the tt to need a bit extra on the volume as compared with a CD player etc.

Of course some cartridges have more output than others so this can also be a contributing factor.

Check Micro Seiki V-3100 EⅡ. :idea:

I can find very little about that particular one. No way I can determine if that's the right one or not. The circles on the side of the stylus aren't coloured and are quite indistinct.Perhaps they serve as a bit of grip during placement.

Not unusual for the tt to need a bit extra on the volume as compared with a CD player etc.

Of course some cartridges have more output than others so this can also be a contributing factor.

That's a good point thanks.
I find the sound quality a little underwhelming, perhaps a bit muddy, that's why I was thinking of changing the stylus. That, and the stylus being very black. It could of course be the amp lacking a decent phono stage. It would be good to source a stylus and start afresh though. The amp is excellent with other inputs.

I may have to stick with the old stylus, but as it will need replacing for certain at some point, I may as well try to identify and source a compatible one now.

Not sure if these will help any.

post-18903-042526700 1324635465.jpg
Yo, after looking at these specs I think this would be another candidate for my Grace G707 arm.

Cartridge-Diamond-Stylus-for-ROTEL-RP3000-RP5300.jpg

Hi Grenadeslio.

Thanks for the input. It's looking like it's a vf-3200 but, as your post shows, there are three versions. Each of those versions takes a different stylus as far as I know.

Thank you.

I've just now had a look at the stylus using the built in magnifier and a powerful hand held lens and it doesn't scream at me as worn.

Still after a stylus as a replacement for the future if not for right now.

Hi Grenadeslio.

Thanks for the input. It's looking like it's a vf-3200 but, as your post shows, there are three versions. Each of those versions takes a different stylus as far as I know.

Thank you.
Different quality stylus, but most likely interchangeable, pick the best one you can afford.

One caveat, the one farthest to the right, the VF-3500/F would need different loading than what's usually standard in most built in phono stages. So I would go with the eliptical VF-3200/e or the VF-3200/xe if the compliance match was an issue. The xe is just a tad less compliant and will most likely work with a wider range of arms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom