Would You Buy A Self-Driving Car?

• Yes

Votes: 51 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 44 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 265 73.6%

• Total voters
Wow... I just noticed 66% of the responses are "no." That's nuts. you guys must either be super-rich and drive Italian sports cars on closed roadways or live in the country far away from the daily horror of the constant traffic jam. I look forward to the day when a human operated car is a quaint hobby like spinning vinyl.

Only if there was a real human pilot at the ready and a bypass switch

Exactly my point, l don't believe many people would trust automation without some kind of human emergency backup in which case it wouldn't be considered fully automated.

you guys must either be super-rich and drive Italian sports cars on closed roadways or live in the country far away from the daily horror of the constant traffic jam

Haha definitely the latter for me unfortunately :rolleyes:, l don't think l could do the traffic jam thing everyday, Melbourne is the closest major city and the traffic there is now woeful, population of 4.8m with road infrastructure no where near up to the task.

Robots are great - but they have their place.

the-jetsons-1280ajpg-6473d5_1280w.jpg

Rather, the California regulations, are going to require manufacturers to certify that they've met federal safety standards before their cars become (driverlessly) street legal.
That will be interesting.

Defining standards for safety will be mandatory, I guess the battle to be as big as the battle to make standards for to comply with it.

Probably, as with aviation, the world will be divided in two or three parties essentially doing the same but just enough difference to keep governments busy.

As I become older and infirm I would certainly consider buying one. I figure by that time they will have ironed out the bugs which plague them now. Let's say 20 years from now, when I will be 78.

The truck backed into the stationary shuttle.
But the shuttle made the "decision" to become stationary and remain stationary while a truck was obviously rolling towards it. Even the dumbest human would at least lean on the horn. I guess if I'm in a so-called "smart" vehicle and there is an obvious accident pending the last thing I want from my vehicle is stoicism and resignation. I don't want my car to get philosophical on me.

Hell no! Manual Transmission only. I hate automatics too. If your desktop computer can get a virus a crash, what about a self driving computer controlled car? A freakin' north Korean hacker makes the cars interpret red lights as green and green as green leading to carnage at intersections. You just wait. Blood everywhere. Mark my words, "blood everywhere".

Hell no! Manual Transmission only. I hate automatics too. If your desktop computer can get a virus a crash, what about a self driving computer controlled car? A freakin' north Korean hacker makes the cars interpret red lights as green and green as green leading to carnage at intersections. You just wait. Blood everywhere. Mark my words, "blood everywhere".
It will never get to that point. Once a few of these get "rolled out" into real conditions the technology will seem like The Emperor's New Clothes. Guys who code in the dimensionally flat world of search engines and social media do not have the slightest idea of what's involved - or if they do they don't want to rock the boat.

Depending on your occupution, you will have a price tag. If yours is not high enough, the car will decide hit a tree, beforehand.

The problem I have with these booster articles is the argument that the number of deaths will go down. Even if that was true, then there's no acknowledgement that this might be due to something that society might not exactly warm to. They're not gonna pitch this technology as something that rewards incompetent drivers while punishing competent ones. I don't think competent responsible people would be willing to sacrifice their lives to such a dubious "greater good".

I would not BUY a self driving car, don't see the point. Would I use one as a taxi and eliminate vehicle ownership? Probably after enough testing was done to assure me they would be statistically safe. I mostly view driving as a chore and think most people should not be in control of several thousand pounds of moving steel.

Everyone thinks they are the perfect driver and rate themselves above average. Something does not quite work with that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom