Would You Buy A Self-Driving Car?

• Yes

Votes: 51 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 44 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 265 73.6%

• Total voters

This proves, alike the car hitting the white truck, technology is not even able to have the sensors working properly. Not talking yet about collision avoiding, let alone collision prediction. Let alone situational awareness and let alone "traffic behavior profiling".

The pictures are alike it was ONE pedestrian only, so what about about a bunch of tourists in Amsterdam looking around for anything except traffic, 50 people on bicycles trying to avoid the tourists and at the same time not colliding into cars or trams, traffic signs hidden by tree leafs, being in the middle of 20 other signs and maybe 20 more signs which are not traffic signs?

Now, for aircraft, it takes years to make better TCAS, and somehow the train management safety systems are not fully deployed, trains still collide and apparently we are not even able to have the bridges stay and not falling apart, prevent trains going to fast taking a turn above highways, just add to the list.....

SO WHY THE HURRY. (of course, the answer is money)

Instead of a self-driving cars, which includes anti-collision software, better implement this systems in cars more or less compensating for human errors.

As taxi's are supposed to have sober drivers, I guess official and serious taxi companies ( not ones so big they can afford to influence politics or industry using money) are the type of users testing out..
Now, the equipment would be able to test itself and whenever a taxi-accident happens or nearly happens but the equipment saves the situation, or a rigid car manouver is detected, you have data to analyze collecting the situation, which can be input for development.

In the end, it will not be the drunks getting punished, but some low paid tech will be blamed for not having polished some sensor good enough if a self-driven car will cause death by failure. Now he will not be able to defend himself in court against the big money.

Just my present opinion.

SO WHY THE HURRY. (of course, the answer is money).
Having some experience in the auto industry myself I would have to agree - with the caution that there's nothing inherently evil about money. OTOH the basic set of equipment necessary for a vehicle - engine, transmission, steering - hasn't changed that much beyond mandatory pollution and fuel efficiency requirements. Where the extra money comes from is the electronic accessories. If the "self driving" technology actually existed (it doesn't, and likely won't, ever) then the issue becomes philosophical / political. Do we make it mandatory for the "greater good" (think pollution, fuel economy) - or do we make it optional for those who want to pay for it? I like my cars pretty stripped down.

SO WHY THE HURRY. (of course, the answer is money)

With money being the prime motivation for so much, I can't really argue it. But if you look at all the people texting, drunk, putting on make up, having sex, eating, gawking, watching movies, searching for music, reading maps, curling hair, working etc, etc, etc...
Could be some fear in there too.

Just like you vintage tube guys. I love the pure driving experience. When I need to get out for a drive I have this. Carburetors, distributor and points. Manual steering, manual breaks. No traction control. No ABS. No computerized engine management. Not even a radio. Its pure driving in the old since of the meaning. So, no, I would not own a self driving car. Well um.. My neighbor has a Tesla. He took me out and showed me how he could take his hands off the wheel and it would stay in its lane and manage curves. He pulls up to his garage and we get out, he pushes a button and the car pulls itself into the garage. I still think my 51 year old car is more fun.

20171007_163711.jpg

The video is sad. RIP to the victim. The vehicle's HID head lights have such a sharp cut off, that it is in doubt whether a human driver could have seen this poor woman in time. There is no question the driver was not paying attention to the road. Over-reliance on technology is a problem.

My 2014 .Accord has those lights and I cannot see above a certain height which makes it precarious when I'm driving at night and I can't see a deer crossing the road. My 2006 Accord doesn't have them and I prefer that car. I don't even know how to use the technology in the '14 nor do I need or want it.
I think these driverless cars are one of most idiotic ideas to come out of industry.

In Friday’s Wall Street Joirnal:
According to Arizona Dept. of Corrections, the driver was convicted and received a 5 year sentence in Maricopa County for attempted arm robbery in 2000 serving the sentence concurrently with a one year for a false statement conviction . In 1998 he also pleaded guilty to driving with a suspended , revoked or cancelled license and was cited for failure to produce insurance and driving with no registration .

Uber said the driver falls “ well within the company’s background check requirements and REMAINS AN EMPLOYEE”.
This is a bad joke . This is one lawsuit I hope will be filed quickly .

Last edited:
In Friday’s Wall Street Joirnal:
According to Arizona Dept. of Corrections, the driver was convicted and received a 5 year sentence in Maricopa County for attempted arm robbery in 2000 serving the sentence concurrently with a one year for a false statement conviction . In 1998 he also pleaded guilty to driving with a suspended , revoked or cancelled license and was cited for failure to produce insurance and driving with no registration .

Uber said the driver falls “ well within the company’s background check requirements and REMAINS AN EMPLOYEE”.
This is a bad joke . I hope that lady’s family sues Uber for millions .
I think the logic is that the driver needs to be DRUNK before the benefits kick in.

Inattention . Negligence . It’s all there . I hope Uber pays substantially.
You're just not supposed to guinea pig the public. When we did preignition testing we used a 200 mph track, and the driver wore a helmet and a flame suit. He didn't just go ripping through town devil-may-care.

Self driving cars.
Nobody wants them/
Yet another technology forced on the public that they never wanted or asked for.
Kind of like how great receivers and amps of the 70's morphed into BPC.
Nobody asked for that either.
The only thing that will surprise me is when quit hiding 100mpg+ engine technology.
Heck they made cars in the early 80's that got 50mpg.
I am reminded by what my pilot brother said years ago:
"Planes these days, a monkey could be taught to fly. Everything is monitored and everything is virtually automated. They have done everything to remove the human component from the equation. Computer programs often trump pilot input. Flying really isn't so much fun anymore"
We're all being hosed.
The faster they can replace us with robots and AI the faster they can be rid of us pesky humans.
I'll take a 1974 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup truck over just about anything these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom