Self-Driving Cars

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by loopstick, Dec 5, 2016.

?

Would You Buy A Self-Driving Car?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Maybe

28 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. No

155 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

If your argument is that it was a random fluke I suppose that's possible. OTOH this behavior might be repeatable, which is how machines typically work. Here's another guy who was curious about the problem. You can see the graphic change from two parallel lines on either side of the vehicle (in the display) to a single line to the left of the vehicle. IOW it looks like the machine has made a decision identical to that made in the previous experiment (at night).

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I see no problem.
    [​IMG]

3. rmeade

rmeade Super Member

Self driving cars are years off. In the near term we will be offered automation that helps us drive. The Tesla 'Autopilot' is exactly a version of this ... it is not a self driving technology but an automation assist technology. This means that one has to use it as a driving aid (like cruise control) and not an opportunity to divert your attention to something else (while the car operates on its own). There is a deeper story here, on the recent autopilot crash in mountain view. The owner of this Tesla had previously complained to Tesla that autopilot was steering to the left under certain conditions. So the 'autopilot' was not working properly. Its a tragic loss of life.

steerpike2 likes this.
  4. loopstick

The question is "Was the autopilot working as designed?". Was the autopilot working as designed and functioning in a normal predictable deterministic manner? Perhaps yes. Is this "proper"? Perhaps no.

5. vinowino

vinowino Well-Known Member

I know I'm getting old, but, I do not understand this "self driving" car thing.
    If I want to go somewhere, I can drive.
    If I don't want to go antywhere, I don't need a car.
    It's like having a "self galloping horse" WHAT!
    You call that a stampede.

6. loopstick

IIRC this isn't the first time autopilot slammed into the back of a large, vividly-colored, visually-obvious (to a human at least, or any life form with a pair of eyes) stationary object. Having your algorithms coded to ignore challenging / stressful forms of data is not good engineering IMHO.

Federal Agency Investigates Tesla Crash; Driver Says Car Was On Autopilot

Please register to disable this ad.

7. steerpike2

steerpike2 Super Member

I'd rather see technology forced into cars along the lines of devices that detect breath-alcohol level of the driver before allowing the car to move, a system that will not allow the car to operate if it detects a working cell-phone in the driver area. Insead of a "key" transponder, an RFID equipped drivers licence, that is valid, must be presented to the car, which would also prove in the event of an accident or theft who was driving, and make it impossible for an unlicensed driver to operate a car.

8. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Well, as someone who loves cars as both engineering marvels and art (which is one in the same to me) AND has emotional attachments to certain models like the 1969 Road Runner or the Holden HSV ANYTHING... (the Aussies have kept the American love of the muscle car alive longer than we have....IMO of course) I welcome the advent of the self driving car.

Why would someone that loves cars be so "Tesla Happy?" Because DRIVING.

Going to work in the morning isn't driving. Going from A to B isn't DRIVING.

Driving is like what we would call critical listening. When you are hyper aware of every tiny little detail. When you want to shift the transmission yourself and feel each vibration as the gears engage. Comfort is secondary to connection with the road.

THAT is driving. Make your own connections with listening to music. And realize how rare the occasion is for most of us.

When I am not DRIVING I would rather be reading or playing a video game or getting some work done. Driving to work is the same as listening to background music. I don't want to put any effort or thought into it.

So I long for the day that I can get into an AI car and listen to music with my eyes closed.

+48V likes this.
  9. loopstick

There's nothing wrong about wishing and dreaming. There are, however, some very fundamental implementational details - like not driving into big bright red stationary fire trucks - that must first be addressed. Therein lies the rub. Hardware is easy. Software - not so.