Would You Buy A Self-Driving Car?

• Yes

Votes: 51 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 44 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 265 73.6%

• Total voters
As avoiding traffic jams automatically is already done by the newer gps navigation boxes manufactured right now, it is easy to take the alternative.
Although, also the older boxes already give traffic information for years already.

Usually, the end result is ending up in the alternative traffic jam, at least in the congested country where I live.

Now, people need to have a job, if they found a job needing the travel, one goes the fastest way to get there, so myself I see no laziness....

Well then call it complacency....driving back and forth on the same road for thirty years! But that would depend on the access to a certain amount of roads. I understand function and time allotments to complete something possibly being considered an intelligent consideration but driving differing routes breaks up the monotony and reduces stress. Adds to quality of life....

They are being tested in my area by Waymo; I see several daily on my commute. I can't wait! I'd rather take my chances with a thoroughly engineered self-driving car than all the morons I see texting while driving, or with dogs in their laps.

I own and love a dog. You can get a leash at Petco that has a standard seat belt buckle. Fido is tethered in the back when we go anywhere in the car.

Almost all of us who are fortunate enough to reach retirement age will get cataracts; believe me, they impair your vision. The Baby Boomers will be reaching their dangerous ages soon.

Please pardon my angry tone, but this goes directly to my own safety.

So basically self driving cars should include a driving simulator game to please all those excellent drivers out there!

Yes, that is sarcasm, but not really a bad idea.
Of all the really bad drivers out there, when asked about their driving don't most of them tell you they are excellent drivers even when drunk?

I have to wonder if self driver cars wont quickly morf into a form of public transit that is more personalized to the individual passenger than rail or bus..

Maybe there will evolve a system where individuals buy a "personal cabin" rather than a whole expensive car. The expensive technology could be shared among many (maybe publically owned). The self-driving "engine" would come and couple to your cabin when you needed it, and take it and the contents where you needed to go... like in the age of rail, where the very rich had their own personal rail car that could be hitched onto the back end of the train.

The specific problem IMHO is that machine visual perception - arguably a form of artificial intelligence - is way too stupid to be relied upon for the safe autonomous operation of a motor vehicle. There - with this level of specificity you should now be able to streamline your investigation and make the most of your limited time and background.
About a month or so ago one crashed not to far from me. It plowed right Into a semi trailer. It killed the driver. The AI couldnt tell the difference in the sky and the white trailer side.

About a month or so ago one crashed not to far from me. It plowed right Into a semi trailer. It killed the driver. The AI couldnt tell the difference in the sky and the white trailer side.
Here's an earlier post about that accident:

Post 33

It's too bad about the Navy Seal but he had an opportunity to
  • Monitor conditions in front of him
  • See the big black tires under the ambiguous expanse of white
  • Correctly interpret the mystery thing as an 18 wheeler
Maybe he did. Maybe he was unable to take control of the vehicle in time. Alcohol slows the reaction time of drivers. I wonder what the reaction time was in this situation assuming the driver was sober and the only delays were those determined by the interface / software? At least nobody else got killed.

Voted no. I just like driving. This could change as I age. We'll see.

My oldest son, he's 25, has Asperger's Syndrome. I can't imagine him driving in Detroit-area traffic. Because of that, I see buying him a self-driving car as a real possibility.

Not now, but on down the road. (hah!!! I didn't realize what I'd done until I proof-read this!)

Hell no. When insurance is unavailable on anything not self driving, I will get one. Not one second before.

Mass transit does not exist where I live and would be impractical to institute. I would however, use it if it existed. I'd use that extra hour + a day to read. I would also keep my cars.

Cheaper yet, if there were a safe bike path (not a bike lane, which would be useless here without at least a guard rail), usable in all seasons, I'd ride the 35 miles round trip to work. As it is, no such thing exists and a person would have to have a death wish to be on any of the roads between here (Jenison) and there (Holland) on a bicycle. At 5:00am. In two feet of snow.

I know it's coming, but I'll hold out as long as possible. And I don't have to pretend to like it.

Hell no. When insurance is unavailable on anything not self driving, I will get one. Not one second before.
UL - Underwriters Laboratory. At some point the insurance companies will have to investigate for themselves to evaluate the relative risks of normal cars and self-driving cars. I'd be surprised if they've done any testing so far. There will be situations in which every self-driving car goes into a spin-out on black ice, every self-driving car breaks a tire in a flooded chuck-hole, etc. You will have these mass screw-ups in situations that only affect a portion of human drivers. And if the car that's three cars ahead of you goes into a spin-out at least you have some warning cuz you're gonna go into one too.

It's a plot by the "ride sharing" companies to finally get rid of those pesky humans who suck away their profits.

It's a plot by the "ride sharing" companies to finally get rid of those pesky humans who suck away their profits.
I've avoided the political factors cuz I believe they're made irrelevant by the technological hurdles. The only "nefarious" motive I can see for all the hype is short-term gains in the flow of R&D funding. But this cow can only be milked for so long.

"The company needs time to build up its fleet from the two cars it has now and go through the various regulatory requirements such as getting the vehicles smog tested and registered, the spokeswoman added."

Smog testing should be the last and least important thing on their list of priorities!

"The accident occurred when the driver of a second vehicle "failed to yield" to the Uber vehicle while making a turn, said Josie Montenegro, a spokeswoman for the Tempe Police Department."

Sensationalism by association?

Back
Top Bottom