Seller used MIRACLE PACKAGING when he shipped my receiver.

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
Subscriber
Bought a receiver over a week ago....and it was delivered a couple days ago. The seller used the MIRACLE PACKAGING method. That is..... the packaging was so thin and skimpy that it's a MIRACLE it arrived intact.

Hats off to the USPS employees who handled this one because from beginning to end they must've treated this one like it was a raw egg.

Not that you can really tell from the picture but the receiver was wrapped in the thinnest possible layer of bubble wrap, then cardboard was formed around that. There was less than an inch between the outside of the box and any surface of the receiver. And yet, not one scratch, mark, dent.... no broken glass or loose parts. Like I said..... a MIRACLE. Go figure.

And yes, I'd specifically asked the seller to package the unit carefully and securely. And he assured me that he would do so.....

sanyo receiver.jpg

I've got them like that. And people complain about how rough FedEx, UPS USPS treat packages.

Lee.

P.S. I will be down your way tonight.

The way some people package turntables and other audio gear just makes you wonder sometimes...

I think most of us have either received or have heard of turntables being thrown into a box, tone arm flapping in the wind, platter still ready to spin some records, and some packing peanuts tossed in for good measure as if they were making some Kung Pao Chicken!

I sometimes wonder if skimpy packing actually makes the UPS guys more careful. Like if they see something wrapped up like the Michelin man that just invites a good kicking, but if something is wrapped in a wet paper towel the delivery guy actually thinks twice about throwing it around.

Last edited:
I wish I had pictures of the packing I used to send a lava lamp a while back. There was dense foam and PVC pipe involved, besides double boxing.

Another ebayer that graduated with honors from Ura Putz University.

How about the guy who mailed me a (once) pristine copy of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust in a 18" X 24" padded mailer??! :no:

I sometimes wonder if skimpy packing actually makes the UPS guys more careful. Like if they see something wrapped up like the Michelin man that just invites a good kicking, but if something is wrapped in a wet paper towel the delivery guy actually thinks twice about throwing it around.

Well that might be a good theory if they know what's inside the package. With mine they had no idea of the size of the box in relation to the size of the contents, nor how much padding.

That stinks. What a waste. Hope you can get it fixed.
yes i did mostly, nothing internal was damaged and there was a very good condition faceplate on ebay at the time for $115 which i bought the seller refunded $200 and i just live with the case damage it doesnt show in my rack

I am wondering what receiver the OP bought that there wasn't at least one of in the house already? Or maybe it was adding to a collection?

I am wondering what receiver the OP bought that there wasn't at least one of in the house already? Or maybe it was adding to a collection?

Nostalgia at work. This is a duplicate of (IIRC) the first piece of audio equipment I bought brand new back in the early 70's. A Sanyo DCX3300K/KA quadraphonic receiver.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 3.jpg

s-l1600 5.jpg

My wife ordered two articles of clothing and a glass jewelry box for our daughter from H&M. All three items were placed in a simple plastic mailing envelope. The jewelry box was not separately boxed or bubble wrapped. It arrived in pieces. What was that packer thinking?!!!

How about the guy who mailed me a (once) pristine copy of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust in a 18" X 24" padded mailer??! :no:

Any damage is disappointing, but especially so when a rare and/or pristine item is involved. I do remember buying a perfect looking Stephens 152ax speaker off ebay. The seller took plenty of time and trouble typing a description of the item and providing a ton of detailed high resolution photos showing the speaker from every conceivable angle. The thing really was flawless, and not a dent, tear or ripple in the cone. Unfortunately they took absolutely no time or care in packaging the item for shipping. They merely wrapped the speaker in a plastic trash bag and threw it in a box full of packing peanuts. Not surprisingly when I opened it my heart sank. The cone had been completely torn and destroyed. I did get my money back...... but man..... you just can't find those in that condition. It had lasted all those years only to fall victim to a careless idiot.

Back
Top Bottom