Sennheiser HD-558 at Best Buy

Donal64

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
In getting acquainted with headphones, I bought a set of AKG-K240 semi open headphones for not much. I really liked the sound and decided to try out some other open back headphones. All my research, for sound quality and price, led me to choose the Sennheiser HD-558s. The only place I found that had the HD-558s new was Best Buy, for $79.xx. I figured these had been closed out and Best Buy still had some in stock. I did not read the fine print on the webpage. So off I go to Best Buy, after verifying that they do have them in stock. In conversation ,the salesperson mentions that Best Buy has a deal with Sennheiser to make these HD-558s and that is why they are not available anywhere else. He also mentioned that the HD-558s used to be the HD-60s. When I tried to get clarification about the HD-60s, I didn't get a good answer. He said these HD-558s that are being made exclusively for Best Buy, are the exact same headphones that have been selling right along in recent years. But I am just wondering. Anybody got any ideas in these headphones from Best Buy being the same as always, or not?

I don't think that Sennheiser has any connection with Best Buys and the HD 558 headphones. The HD558 have been sold for quite a while and not just in Best Buys. But, if Best Buys was asking $79 for the HD 558, that is a great deal. As far as the 558 being the HD 600 series, I'm pretty sure that is false. Sennheiser makes about 5 to 8 headphones in the 500 series, when you get into the HD 600 series, the price will almost double.

WOW !!!! That is straight BS that Best Buy is peddling. The HD558's have been discontinued for awhile and Best Buy has had them on sale for quite some time. They probably only had a few left and wanted them gone so they dropped the price.

WOW !!!! That is straight BS that Best Buy is peddling. The HD558's have been discontinued for awhile and Best Buy has had them on sale for quite some time. They probably only had a few left and wanted them gone so they dropped the price.

Here's a picture of the box with sticker that says "Only @ Best Buy". They are now $149. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhe...-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513&reviewsPage=27 I think Best Buy is the only store that is selling new 558s, except on ebay and such places.

Sennheiser HD 558 box.JPG

They will be back on sale soon. They probably have a crap ton at the warehouse and are the last ones to be selling them. They may have done a mass buy out as well. But Sennheiser does not make these specifically for Best Buy. There is not enough demand for this model. However its an outstanding headphone especially at the 79.99 price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom