Sennheiser headphones wire modification

Njord Noatun

Not sure if this belongs best in DIY or General, but here goes...

I have two very nice Sennheisers sets that I like (HD-555 and HD-580). However, the one thing I do not like about them (actually, there are two - see below) is the flimsy, long and thin straight wire both these headphones come with: I would much rather use them with the thicker spiral wire that one often sees on vintage sets of cans.

(The HD-555 also comes with the 1/4" jack, but I would like to change that to a compact 1/8" [as does the HD-580 have] as I mostly use these with portable and digital music devices, and would be happy to use a 1/4" adapter whenever I would be using them with a vintage amp).

So - I need to modify the cans with a spiral wire: Does anybody know where I can source such wire in suitable length and width (the HD-555 wire is attached to only one side of the headphones whereas the HD-580 wire is split to feed both sides)?

Any other advice with regards to such modification for headphones would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.

I too prefer the thin wire to the coiled stuff. The Sennheiser wire is of very high quality and I don't think that you could find coiled wire anywhere close to that quality.

I think you can get an upgraded wire for those cans direct from Sennheiser,I just got one little over 12 bucks,or you can go the expensive route,cardas wire made for direct plug in, but it runs about $180 for a 10 foot cord.

Back
Top Bottom