seperating ht from music

jt1135

Looking for a preamp or something to run a turntable and blu ray player w/wifi thru. Has to have a remote so after a couple of cold ones and maybe a liberal lucky I don't have to get up and adjust the volume:)). Using svs prime towers and looking at an 80's class A amp for power. Splitting the HT from the music. Any thoughts?

Jolida JD5T pre-amp. Has a remote for power(stand-by), volume, and mute, you have to change the inputs manually. No tone controls, but with a class A amp, you probably don't need them. It also has a pair of 12ax7 tubes, so if you want to you can swap other tubes for a different sound. I've been using mine for about 6 years with stock tubes, it's given me no trouble, and sounds great. Not really cheap, but not too expensive, and highly under-rated in my opinion.

Forgot to add: The JD5T doesn't have a phono stage, you'll need an outboard phono-pre if you go this route, but I see you already have a pretty good one....

Last edited:
That's actually a pretty good idea. EXCEPT, you're trying to SAVE him money, where it looks to me like he wants SPEND some money! ;) Plus, he already has a pretty good phono-pre. There are a number of ways he could save money, but it sounds like he's looking to set up a music system that is completely independent of his HT set-up, which means he's willing to spend a little to get what he wants. I was just trying to give an option that is in line price-wise with the rest of his gear.

jt1135: You didn't mention a budget, or if you were looking for a new or used pre-amp. You have a LOT of potential choices, help us out here so we can help you spend your money wisely!

Thanks for all the replies and yes justjed I am splitting my system. A little info: I'm taking care of my 85 year old mother so I have my setup in the basement. She's a little hard of hearing so I can get some decent volume going but can't get too nuts. Looking at a reconditioned Yammie M80 to run the speakers. I have a Lounge MK3 phono preamp so that's not the problem. I listen to a lot of Pandora (I have discovered a lot of new music and artists) in my man cave or out on the deck. I can run Pandora thru either my computer or a blu ray player. Being 60 I don't feel like getting up and changing volumes all the time so hence the remote. I'm thinking running the mrx-310, Yammie mx-2 for the fronts, denon amp for the center and letting the anthem run the rears which I' doing now. Willing to spend about 500 to tie the phono, blu ray, and M80 together.

The Jolida runs about $550. You'll find very little about this piece on the internet. All I can really tell you is it's low-distortion(.02%), 5 inputs including a 3.5mm input jack on the front panel, 2 outputs(can be used for headphone amp, subwoofer, or bi-amping ) and has an Alps Blue motorized volume pot that's not too fast or too slow so it's easy to control. Relatively low gain, 10db, so depending on your phono stage, you may have to turn it up a little more than you're used to, but line level sources such as cd or tuner are fine. No real features, just very smooth sound and a GREAT volume control.

You'll likely get a lot of recommendations, that one is mine. For what it's worth.

Last edited:
Looks like the preamp is on hold. Sitting here studying everything and I don't have enough outlets to plug anymore electrical cords. Had the electrician here 3 months ago and installed a 20amp breaker and two 2 gang boxes. Plus running a power strip off another 15 amp circuit. That M80 is gonna use some wattage so sparky might have to come back and install another breaker and boxes. If nothing else when I croak the basement is gonna have enough outlets:)

Back to the Schiit, they have $350 and $700 preamps with remote control. I'm inching my way toward purchasing one or the other as my patience grows thin pursuing one of a few rare pieces.

Looks like the preamp is on hold. Sitting here studying everything and I don't have enough outlets to plug anymore electrical cords. Had the electrician here 3 months ago and installed a 20amp breaker and two 2 gang boxes. Plus running a power strip off another 15 amp circuit. That M80 is gonna use some wattage so sparky might have to come back and install another breaker and boxes. If nothing else when I croak the basement is gonna have enough outlets:)
Buy a preamp with some outlets in the back! Chain that schiit together! (with the exception of the power amp)

Got er done. Music side is Yammie C65, CDC775, M80, DT2 timer, Rega RP1 w/pp, Pandora thru computer headphone jack, Focal Aria 905s and dual SVS SB1000s. HT is Anthem MRX310, Yamaha MX2, Denon POA800, Sony BDP6500, Sanyo VWM700 vcr, Dish receiver, SVS Prime tower front, SVS Prime center, Def Tech ProMonitor800s rear and Paradigm PDR10v3 sub. Cheap 55 inch phillips tv as my plasma took a crap on me. Don't watch too many movies or tv so it will work for now. Still working on the wiring and setup hence the mess:)

Attachments

• 1080P_19700101000010_000021.jpg
    1080P_19700101000010_000021.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 8
Ahhhhh. Got it, duh.

To me its all just "sources".

This is one of the few times I agree with ev.

I have one system that plays two channel stereo and 7.1 surround. For two channel stereo only my stereo preamp the front channel amplifiers and their speakers and subwoofers are active. For HT/Surround I place my preamp in bypass mode and allow my HT pre/pro the ability to control everything. In this mode all my speakers (5.1) produce sound. I feel this gives me the best of both worlds because I have a (IMO) very good two channel system (in a dedicated acoustically treated room) that at the flick of a switch becomes an HT system with little to no compromising.

Back
Top Bottom