septic + garbage disposal.. suggestions?

240sx4u

Lunatic Member
Guys, I am going to put a new garbage disposal in the house. The old one is seized.

My question is this, is it REALLY worth spending 190 on the septic model from insinkerator on ebay? I can buy the non-septic model for about 80 bucks. I am aware that its a bad idea to use a garbage disposal because the septic, so it will get as little use as possible.

Thoughts? I could really use that extra 100+ dollars!

Evan

I think you answered your own question, septics and disposals don't mix so use it sparingly and save yourself $100!! Ground up garbage just floats on the surface of the septic so it doesn't break-down correctly, human waste only!! :yes:

Septic Care

Why not save all your money, and just start a compost pile? I had a dipsosal on a septic, and would add extra yeast since my wife used it all the time.. never seemed to have too many problems, considering whites ALWAYS got washed with bleach :no:

Don't use RiddX just chuck in a pack of yeast once a month and you may need to have it pumped every four or five years, maybe even longer. If milk turns sour pour that down the drain. The people who pumped ours that last time (only the second time in 20 years) told me about getting a call from a dairy farmer, his had not been pumped in 30 years. The guy said it was almost clear water, turned out the farmer poured all soured milk down the drain. This septic pump service guy was the one who told me never to use RiddX, said the first load of wash would stop it in its tracks and make things worse than none at all. I grew up in the country with septic systems, we never had a pumping service and I can't recall anyone in the village having problems. My Dad was the one who taught me the yeast trick.

Oh BTW we have the regular model garbage disposal - no problems.

Thanks guys, I do have a compost heap.

I was more referring to doing dishes by hand when there is rice and small stuff that you can't completely clean from the dishes before you hand wash them. I won't be jamming any huge items down there.

The yeast thing is a great tip, as is the milk. The septic was pumped last month, so I plan to keep it in as good of shape as possible.

Evan

BTW; It makes me happy to know that searching AK will yield septic results now LOL.

I have a rural system here with a 1000 gallon tank. I did have it shut down once in midwinter (not fun). I did get it going with Rid-X, and changed to septic-friendly detergents, and stopped the use of toilet bowl cleaner.

I have a cheap Emerson disposer, but use it only for reducing the food debris from plates. The fatty residues of meats are usually burned in the woodstove.

I did start a compost heap, but promptly abandoned the project; we have enough problems with bears here that we don't need to do more to encourage a visit from one.

We did try a plastic compost bin that the supplier assured us was completely bear-proof, provided it was properly anchored. I set it up just outside the back mudroom door, anchoring it down at four points with 4' grounding rods. It took exactly 3 days for a bear to come up and smash the thing completely to bits.

It's funny to see so many misconceptions about septic systems.
I had our leech field replaced last year. It was probably 30+ years old. I picked the brain of the owner of the company doing the new field. None of the "wives" tales about septic are true. Adding stuff,........... does nothing. Garbage disposals are fine. If you would normally put it down the drain, grinding it wont affect anything.
The bacteria in the system, as most owners know, does all the work. Once innoculated by our usage, (one poo and the vault" is ready to go :banana:) mother nature takes over.
The ONLY thing that causes a system to fail, is age, or if a LARGE ammount of a chemical kills the bacteria in the vault. Not pumping out the "ash" from the vault can cause failures.
Pretty much the leech field is the only item in a septic system that "wears" out. (vaults can, but they usually are very old) Expect a new one to last about 30 years before the trenches saturate and don't work anymore.

I'm no expert on septic systems, so take this with a grain of salt. But I do know something about composting and organic decomposition. It does not surprise me that yeast or other inoculants would improve the breakdown of solids and reduce sludge. Something like yeast is a different animal from what is normally in your gut (and your septic tank). The Japanese have been making this stuff called Bokashi (aka EM or Effective Microorganisms) which is a culture of several bugs including yeast. You can put it in your kitchen compost accumulation bucket and it supposedly breaks down the stuff in a couple days with no odor and makes a clear liquid fertilizer that you can drain off. That definitely sounds like a diffferent process than what normally happens in my kitchen bucket if I don't empty it. :D

One bug's poop is another's food. Enough variety of bugs, there's more complete breakdown and less sludge. :smoke:

My parents installed their septic system in the late 70's and still have not had it pumped out and use a garbage disposal every day. They do use common sense.

I've never had anything but a septic system and use our disposal daily. We pump every 4-5 years, family of 4, no issues. If they were built right to begin with they are virtually bulletproof.

Thanks guys, the septic system is new as of about 4 years ago, including drain field. Ill take your advice, using common sense, I think everything will be fine.

Thanks!

The septic tank is just that - a tank. It holds the material until bacteria can degrade it from a solid to a liquid. It then passes from the tank to the leach lines, which let the liquid percolates through the soil back into an aquifer, or through evaporation. What kills a septic system is when the leach field fails. That usually occurs when dirt, plastic, or other inorganic or un-biodegradable items get in the system and clog the leach lines. Grease is another thing that, although degradable, is slower to break down. Over-use, and too many solids before they can dissolve, cause problems, but most systems are over-engineered these days to prevent that. There are also other products on the marked besides Rid X (and cheaper) that will keep the bacteria level where it should be. We use one here that costs about $89 for a year's supply.

As far as a so-called "septic" disposal:scratch2:..............I would like to ask the designer if it would do much good in a household where the people don't chew their food real well (like corn, if you get my drift). It all ends up in the same place......:D

I don't know if you knew this or not, but most disposals have an allen wrench slot on the underside to unseize them. It should be in the middle of the underside to be exact. Put the wrench on and try to rotate it back and forth.

I apologize if you have already tried that, but I know many people don't know about that trick. There is also a reset button under there as well.

Back
Top Bottom