Seriously, 13.2 channels? What a joke Denon.

So ... here at AK, most are about comfort with a bunch of reluctance and pessimism toward new technology. Let me say it plainly and simply - these object based formats are limited only by the ability of the sound engineers.

Some of the Atmos discs that I have are just mind blowing. The sound is so enveloping, you have a sense of startling realism that nothing short of being there can touch. For example, the movie Only The Brave about the Granite Hot Shots - when the helicopters are dropping the water overhead we were covering out heads to keep from being soaked. We watched Everest last summer - we were shivering and looking for blankets.

From a technology standpoint, it’s an absolute marvel. An IMAX isn’t just a bigger screen. Likewise, Atmos isnt just more channels. You need to experience it for yourself ...

IMHO, Atmos is one of the biggest advancements in recorded sound in the history of recording sound.

All about fooling your software with theirs to achieve suspension of disbelief, no matter how many, how few, or where the channels are.

I can remember Bjorns in San Antonio Demo ing custom . 12.2 systems almost 25 years ago. as best as I can recall. He had front speakers side speakers rear speakers , high front speakers, subs hidden, I know not where. He was using custom amps and a Specially designed Dolby early custom digital decoder. He was either using a Runco or big Barco projector. And the screen filled the entire wall of the room from close to the floor to almost the ceiling. I think the projector could fill the screen with a 2.35 ratio movie.

I think the biggest system we installed using a Lexicon processor for a 11.2 version of 7.1 system in a long narrow auditorium using JBL Professional speakers, QSC amps, and Rane muti channel processors for the tri- amped front speakers and the front and rear 4 subs. Then the system had to be duplicated in the control booth. We used an 8 channel/ 24 input Soundcraft mixer when the system was used for live musical groups and as a PA for Seminars etc. The system had the latest big Barco projector and the throw to the screen was 100 ft give or take a few. The screen was close to 50 ft wide. The only compromise was the speakers were on either side of screen L& R and the center channel was above the screen. The screen was at the back of the stage. The speakers at the front. We used time delays in zones for the side speakers and with the rear speakers as the distance settings were to long for the Lexicon HT processor.

Rodrigues+-+foodstamps.jpg

Back
Top Bottom