Seriously!! 20W for infamous amp killer Kappa 9 in extended bass mode

If your using solid state you need a high current design. Speaking of that the amps should be able to deliver at least 60 Amps of current per channel.
Tube amps are different and short resistant and the only way to kill them is running them with no load at all.
The SET amps he does use look quite havy with output transofrmers. Mine weighted a litte under 56kg a pair and I drove the RS2b with a SET 811A amp. They have heady duty output transformers.
I think the RS2b is not that difficuilt. The woofers are not under 4 ohm and the mids and highs dips shortly to 1.6 ohm at 9kHz.

Still the model would help.

Yesterday I connected the MC-275 to my Kappa 9s. Room shaking bass and sweet top. WOW. Simply amazing.

I am not sure I think the MC-60 or MC-58 would be a little too weak. Their output transformers do not look that good, but I might simply try it soon.

“60 amps of current per channel” would melt the voice coils, but thankfully would be difficult to achieve plugged into a 15 amp AC outlet.

After reading this I tried the Dynaco st-70 (highly upgraded) with the kappa 8 with great results. Hmm. Should I ditch the bi-amp?

The only speaker in the infinity line I’ve heard the benefit from bi amping is the RS-4.5. I can’t speak for the higher up infinity’s. I tried on on many including my 8’s when I had them, were all different but I really like a single amp.

Old
I was trying to bi-amp Kappa 9, using 20W 6L6 Push-Pull tube amp to high and 300W SS amp to low. Out of curiosity, I just connected the 20W tube amp to both, and see how it sounds. WOW, very very surprise, it sounds much better than bi-amp. I even used the extended bass mode. Its the best sound Kappa 9 I ever heard. It even has one of the best bass compared to high current SS amp. And I listen loud classical music in a 21'X14' room. The 20W push the kappa 9 without a drop of sweat.

Old.but still , offcourse it works with tubes.
First off nudell designed most his speakers to be ran with tubes.

Secondly kappas don't demand watts it demands current . Tube amplifiers have output transformers (chough mcintosh uses autoformers to assure stability)

No different with tubes, your transformers on the output give it the current they need. They pull about 7 amp or so combined on low passages in extended mode.

So it's not weird, or unique or special that they can be driven with tubes. It was intended to be driven that way

Old

Old.but still , offcourse it works with tubes.
First off nudell designed most his speakers to be ran with tubes.

Secondly kappas don't demand watts it demands current . Tube amplifiers have output transformers (chough mcintosh uses autoformers to assure stability)

No different with tubes, your transformers on the output give it the current they need. They pull about 7 amp or so combined on low passages in extended mode.

So it's not weird, or unique or special that they can be driven with tubes. It was intended to be driven that way
Correct, current is also limited by the output transformer which is nothing else like an isolation transformer. The tube is not bothered if something is going to a direct short then, only at OTL amplifiers it would be critical. They don't work.

Can anyone upload a video on YouTube driving them with tubes on top or full range? I just want to swoon in my dreams before I get to rebuild mine and there is no sneak-peak that I can get from it now.

I know you may all have sold your Kappa 8's and 9's, maybe too much of a kind request I am asking.

Back
Top Bottom