Servicing a SONY DAT machine (Pictorial)

I took video clearly we can see that opening doors stop just before micro switch and goes back. I take more pictures.

I inserted blank tape and rewind fast forward works perfectly fine. I recorded audio from my echo and it recorded perfectly. Now just figure out the opening issue.

Could you take again the first picture with the tray as opened as possible ? (same angle but focused on the front part and with more light if possible)

Please post your results. BTW, did you know the 2700 is a movie star? There's a scene in "A Clear And Present Danger" where a rack of them can be seen. I liked the 2700 very much but it was about twice the price of the commercial 87ES, so I bought the 87ES. Only thing that was problematic was it conformed to SCMS and this was a headache so I ended up getting a pair of PCM-7010F's which I still use today. Fun stuff.
Hi, I have started my analysis regarding the problem I face with dropouts. I have started erasing a Sony Pro DAT plus 125 on my PCM-2700 that was previously recorded on a different machine (Sony DTC77ES). The recording input is 0. I have noticed an erratic behavior in the counter counting when it is set to "Counter mode", looks like some seconds tend to jump forward and when I set it to "Remaining time" mode its showing around 6 hrs 30mins remaining! In ABS time mode it behaves as normal. I also noticed that when I tried to fast forward the tape it kept stopping every 3 minutes or so! Very odd. I am now erasing the tape for the next 2 hours in SP mode and then try to fast forward the tape and see if it stops. In the meantime if these observations trigger any suspicions I would be grateful for your help again.
Will post again when I have some results and find outs.
Thanks

Hi, I have started my analysis regarding the problem I face with dropouts. I have started erasing a Sony Pro DAT plus 125 on my PCM-2700 that was previously recorded on a different machine (Sony DTC77ES). The recording input is 0. I have noticed an erratic behavior in the counter counting when it is set to "Counter mode", looks like some seconds tend to jump forward and when I set it to "Remaining time" mode its showing around 6 hrs 30mins remaining! In ABS time mode it behaves as normal. I also noticed that when I tried to fast forward the tape it kept stopping every 3 minutes or so! Very odd. I am now erasing the tape for the next 2 hours in SP mode and then try to fast forward the tape and see if it stops. In the meantime if these observations trigger any suspicions I would be grateful for your help again.
Will post again when I have some results and find outs.
Thanks
When you erase tape by re-recording you are effectively erasing audio and re- recording Absolute Time-Code but you will also still be committed to the bit and bite rate originally selected and recorded. Re-recording Time-Code all the way through is good. The net effect is i.d.'s will be erased and, with no Time-Code breaks, drop-outs are less a concern. In fast forward, you may have had the unit set to stop at previously recorded stop or start i.d.'s. If I were you, I'd just buy some new DATs. I think then your drop-out problem would cease.

Great information. I recently acquired a DTC 670. It loaded the tape just fine but once loaded no play no FF no RW. So went through all the posts and did everything that was recommended. Took it apart looked for issues but it back and still nothing. I think I did this 50 times.

Then noticed (pic one) was missing the white washer holding the brake mech. So fortunately found that rattling around in the case. Installed that and put it back together and it loaded then started to move but the right reel wasn’t moving so the tape got all bunched up. Took it apart and noticed the arm (pic 2) was dislodged. So the issue is missing the white washer to hold it down. Any idea how to fix this. Also looking at the other arm it has a small nut holding it down. I guess it was fixed already. Thanks for any help recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I think I’m close to getting this thing working.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 48
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 45
From which point of view ?

Usually we consider the transport as it is in the chassis: the drum is above the cassette shell, the tape runs from the left to the right, the left reel is the supply reel and the right reel is the take-up reel.

So what you call the left reel is probably the take-up reel, not wrapping the tape spooled by the capstan.

This could be a known issue of the DTC-670: with age, the reel motor no longer has enough strength.

What you can do:
- thoroughly clean old dirt and grease which cramp the transport
- replace the motor by a new one (this is a quite standard Mabuchi)
- modify the circuitry to send a little more juice to the motor

The last proposal is probably the easiest one if you are able to solder a potentiometer and replace a resistor on the main board.

Every thing is described in a supplement at the end of the service manual.

It is possible that the modification has already been made. In that case you will need to adjust the setting.

thanks the problem im trying to solve now is the white plastic cap. im missing 2 any idea what i could replace them with?

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 22
I have been told that you can use sequins (for embroidery, applique, arts, crafts and embellishment...).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-10 5mm Satin Matt Gold Flat Round Sequins .png
    Screenshot_2019-06-10 5mm Satin Matt Gold Flat Round Sequins .png
    708.1 KB · Views: 39
It was a pleasure.

By the way I am looking for a Sony Torque meter tape (ref TW-7131). If anyone knows where to find one at a reasonnable price...
Hey hdrobien - I know I'm 6 years too late... but I've just put my 2 Sony DAT Torque meters on ebay.

After reading this thread again, I made sure to power up my mechanical transport components and use them for a bit to get the "Juices" flowing! ;)
I have a pair of Sony PCM-7010F Time-Code DAT Recorders at $7200 each back in 1994 or thereabouts. They still work; but, they need about an hour or two warm-up to work without bad tape or alarm notices from interrupting playback. I have zero experience or knowledge about how to repair these recorders, although I did successfully install an option to both recorders allowing for editing function from a edit controller. At any rate, I'm impressed that there are folks here who like me have an interest in keeping their DAT Recorders in action.

The 7010 use the almost same transport as the 77ES and others high end consumer models (DTC-2000, ZA5ES...).

They usually suffer from the same problems, mostly hardened grease that prevent the left (supply) guide to fully extend. That is why they usually play better when warn (the grease is "softened").

They also suffer from worn out capacitors in the power supply, because they were usually always permanently powered in the studios.

The 7010 use the almost same transport as the 77ES and others high end consumer models (DTC-2000, ZA5ES...).

They usually suffer from the same problems, mostly hardened grease that prevent the left (supply) guide to fully extend. That is why they usually play better when warn (the grease is "softened").

They also suffer from worn out capacitors in the power supply, because they were usually always permanently powered in the studios.
My units are always powered off when not in use. Maybe I do not have a cap. issue. At any rate, I think you know which hog ate the cabbage. Interestingly enough, the unit which will not play unless it's warmed up was serviced by Sony back in 2010. Its time-code reader/generator went spastic. Sony repaired it at a flat rate of about $900. As I understand it Sony no longer supports the PCM 7000 series so if I want my units repaired now I will need to find someone to do it. It appears no one in my area however has the interest or skill to service my units.

Back
Top Bottom