Setchell-Carlson RP90A

manhattanman

Just pulled this console out of a dumpster. I had to cannibalize the chassis from the cabinet--don't have the room. I pulled the wooden faceplate, too. I had to dismantle the cabinet to get the faceplate out. Faceplate is special. All correct original knobs intact. Pulled off the original grill cloth. Didn't take the drivers--maybe I'll go back tomorrow and get them. Phono still there, too.

Amp chassis says RP90A, but the two "UNIT-IZED" tuners are installed in the amp, so I guess it's a RP91. 13 tubes.

Apparently, this is a very early model AM/FM/Phono stereo system. It facillitated the now obsolete AM/FM stereo, or two channel stereo broadcasting which lasted only a few years ('56-early '61). The phonograph had full stereo separation. There is no port for a stereo multiplex adapter.

Power transformer date code shows: Stancor, June of 1959. I'll get detailed photos of the chassis posted after it's cleaned up a little. Lighted dials are shown in post #6 on this page. 60-80 watts. It has 2 auxiliary stereo output speaker ports in addition to the installed internal/pilot speaker port. 3.4 ohms.

There's a fairly extensive and informative 2 page thread on the RP90A from 2007 shown here:
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1845

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Setchell-carlson

This is it: The printed faceplate dial pointers are civil defense symbols that coincide with the 2 opposing triangular symbols on both of the dials, themselves. Advertising lighter displays S-C modular component innovation.

Attachments

• DSCN2946.jpg
    DSCN2946.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN2947.jpg
    DSCN2947.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 113
  • sc lighter.jpg
    sc lighter.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Tuning dials light up. Dials are translucent and glow under the station number when on. This radio is too much!::music: The first picture is exactly life sized if viewed on a 17" flat sreen monitor when enlarging it to its largest size.

Attachments

• DSCN2955.jpg
    DSCN2955.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2958.jpg
    DSCN2958.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Where are they hiding the output tubes on this, between the tuner boxes ? I see the output transformers on the back corners.

I really like that industrial looking dial, and in superb shape too. Was the console in similar condition? Might be a valuable piece of equipment?

The cabinet was in great conditon--just like the faceplate. It troubled me to have to destroy it, but the entire set would be in a landfill, otherwise. I just went back to where the dumpster was about 20 mnutes ago and it was gone. I wanted some other parts, but to no avail.

Last edited:
I've got a little S/C Roundie TV stashed away that I plan to rebuild some day. Seeing this makes me want to get started on it. :yes:

Some of my research on S-C shows that Bart Setchell was inducted into the Minnesota Hall of Fame in '03. He built the first practical car radio and the first radio intercom. S-C formed in 1930. He held more than 100 patents and died in 1995.

Similar to the histories of other eletronic luminaries of the early 20th century: Dumont, Farnsworth, Armstrong, Scott, Kloss. They were inventors first and CEO's second, often to their detriment.

Last edited:
Engineers and inventors tend to not be so much business people. There have been a whole lot of examples of people with a fantastic product that just couldn't make it commercially. On the flip side, the people who can run a business usually can't make the thing to build a business around.

Back
Top Bottom