Setton BS 5500

yes!!

SoCal Sam said:
Keep going djsmasm!!

update time again!

the low voltage power supply is working but I don't have the heatsink for Q11 anymore and I can't find one which would fit!!!!!!!!

argh!!!!!!

update!

djsmasm said:
I really think I won't be able to fix it more until I get the good schematic........

:tears: :tears:

even with the wrong schematic, I've managed to almost fix it entirely, but there's a problem with protection circuitry, although it's neither a DC out nor a heat problem.............what can it be!!!!!!!

the relay and the "protection" lamp are blinking......:scratch2:

the power IC's seem to work fine, but I didn't load the outputs yet.....don't want to use them with a faulty protection circuitry!!

but there another problem : I've lost a PCB!!! the one called "PSAZ009COX"

even if there are only 5 components on it, it seems to have its own purpose, which I don't understand......maybe someone will be able to explain to me......!!

thanks!

SoCal Sam said:
Search AK for Setton Owner's Club. I think Monteman owns an AS3300 and these are pics of his amp. Maybe you can spot the PCB you are missing.

http://www.ckopfell.com/SettonAS33003.jpg
http://www.ckopfell.com/SettonAS33002.jpg

thanks but I've already these pics, and as they both are taken from the same side of the amplifier, I won't be able to see the PCB.....

but the problem is not really here, the first thing to do is to rebuild this PCB! I have everything to do that, but I also wanted someone to explain me its function.........!

thanks!

To all, and djsmasm-

YES, I do have an AS3300. I would like to help you however I can, but need you to tell me what to do.
I am not a technician but can take a detailed photo of any accessable board if it will help you.
The schematic problem you are describing leads me to believe that the technician who worked on my AS3300 had this same problem.
It took over three months to get it out of repair...and this was in 1980!
Let me know-

theblackknight said:
Also, doing research I found that AKer "House de Kris" has a TS-11.
Glad I decided to stumble into this thread, even late, since it appears I've been identified as a Setton owner. Yes, I confess that I, too, own a TS-11. Bought it new as a teenager in high school. Came with a Shure M91ED cartridge, but I immediately upgraded to a V15typeIII. Later on, I swapped stylus to achieve the V15typeIIIHE level.

As was mentioned by another TS-11 owner, the mat was essentially the Setton "S" logo. Actually, I swapped that mat out for a D'statII mat which I felt performed better.

The sliding dust cover is a great idea and I liked it a lot, but dust doesn't just fall straight down. In other words, it got quite dusty under the dust cover. In addition to the sliding dust cover, the controls were on the front, this allowed me to actually place this table inside my rack occupying very little verticle space. Wish I'd taken a picture of that application.

I've retired this Setton (now using a ReVox B-795), but I still like the looks of this table a lot. I've been meaning to take some pictures for the new Setton website, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Since I hold onto EVERYTHING that comes with a product, I can include scans of the owners manual, and pictures the original shipping box, styrofoam inserts, and plastic bags.

Monteman said:
To all, and djsmasm-

YES, I do have an AS3300. I would like to help you however I can, but need you to tell me what to do.
I am not a technician but can take a detailed photo of any accessable board if it will help you.
The schematic problem you are describing leads me to believe that the technician who worked on my AS3300 had this same problem.
It took over three months to get it out of repair...and this was in 1980!
Let me know-

you are lucky, with your working AS3300........I'm not, with my blinking one!!!!
looooooool

a thing you can do is open it, and take a pic of the smallest PCB you'll find, it should have less than 5 components on it....

and can you tell me if I'm right when I think the relay should be "on" just after power on, but a few seconds later AND it should be "off" just after power off........?

one thing again, could you measure the voltage between chassis and pin n#10 on the output PCB, the one with the Sanken modules........?

if you can't do this last thing, I will never know if the PCB I built is well made or not!!

thanks a lot!

little update!

so I've managed to build some brackets.......

I reconnected every wire, and it's happening a strange thing!

the more I let it run, the more it works a long time without blinking.......

it can work for 1-2 hours continuously, and suddenly, it will blink a few times, and after, it will work again for a few hours.....

the problem is in protection circuitry!!! but which components do I have to change, that's the $100 question!!!!!!!! looooooool

First of all, good luck djsmasm with your AS-3300!!:thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

But for me, I have sorta bad news.:sigh: I talked to my uncle tonight at a dinner party about getting the RS-660. He said that he wanted to try it out himself first and see what he could do before giving it too me to repair. He has a point there though--he bought it new for $850!!!!! when he was my age, and it was his babe, pride and joy back them. The problem is, he is what I call the KING OF UNFINISHED PROJECTS. I doubt he will get too doing it for a long time.:sigh: :no: He assured me he wouldnt throw it away or anything, but still, I was really looking forward to getting it. Kinda sucks.:sigh:

Well, I hope to get the next one on eBay if I have enough money by then. IMO, it's the sexiest and coolest and awesome piece of audio equipment Ive ever seen.:yes: :tresbon:

That small circuit board activates the protection circuit when the power is switched off or the plug is pulled out. Simply open the wire from the transistor's collector to defeat this circuit.

Nakdoc said:
That small circuit board activates the protection circuit when the power is switched off or the plug is pulled out. Simply open the wire from the transistor's collector to defeat this circuit.

yes thanks for the explanation of the board's function!

I guessed it when I rebuild it, it worked just like you say!

strange thing again : the amplifier seems to have fixed itself!!

it can work for hours now........

I still have to change a few transistors with original types!

thanks for support!

it works!!!!

yes I finally did it!!!!!!

after changing nearly every 2SC1685 AND the little lamps (protect, heat and operate), it can work for as long as I want now....!!!

thanks all for support ine this repair!!!

theblackknight said:
First of all, good luck djsmasm with your AS-3300!!:thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

But for me, I have sorta bad news.:sigh: I talked to my uncle tonight at a dinner party about getting the RS-660. He said that he wanted to try it out himself first and see what he could do before giving it too me to repair. He has a point there though--he bought it new for $850!!!!! when he was my age, and it was his babe, pride and joy back them. The problem is, he is what I call the KING OF UNFINISHED PROJECTS. I doubt he will get too doing it for a long time.:sigh: :no: He assured me he wouldnt throw it away or anything, but still, I was really looking forward to getting it. Kinda sucks.:sigh:

Well, I hope to get the next one on eBay if I have enough money by then. IMO, it's the sexiest and coolest and awesome piece of audio equipment Ive ever seen.:yes: :tresbon:

Henry -- Hopefully, he'll have a change of heart.

-- Chris

BS 5500 Twosome

I have two BS 5500's at this time but one is committed to a fellow AKer. I thought I'd snap a few photos while they are together.

Attachments

• BS 5500 1.JPG
    BS 5500 1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 41
  • BS 5500 2.JPG
    BS 5500 2.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 38
  • BS 5500 3.JPG
    BS 5500 3.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 33
  • BS 5500 4.JPG
    BS 5500 4.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 24
That is AWESOME!!!!!!

Concept 16.5's are not that uncommon and there were only around 1,200 of them made(according to Richard Schram). I have a feeling that around 1,000 total setton pieces were made instead of 1,000 BS-5500's made--Why?--because setton could have combined serial numbers.

Just my guess, they are so rare, 1,000 of them could not have been made.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom