Setton BS 5500

theblackknight said:
That is AWESOME!!!!!!

Concept 16.5's are not that uncommon and there were only around 1,200 of them made(according to Richard Schram). I have a feeling that around 1,000 total setton pieces were made instead of 1,000 BS-5500's made--Why?--because setton could have combined serial numbers.

Just my guess, they are so rare, 1,000 of them could not have been made.

Regards,
The serial number prefixes are the same for both of my BS 5500's. Anyways, the BS has an on-board voltage selector so it was clearly intended for the international market. 1000 for the worldwide market is not that many at all.

OTOH, the 16.5 was made for the U.S. market only and so most of them ended up in North American hands with the vast majority staying in the U.S. That's why they are still relatively common. As far as the final number of 16.5's produced, NN's serial number database has a high in the 2700's so a lot more than 1200 could have been produced.

EDIT: The 16.5 does not have an on-board voltage selector nor an FM de-emphasis switch for European FM. This makes them undesireable for export so 16.5's are likely to stay here and remain relatively common.

theblackknight said:
Concept 16.5's are not that uncommon and there were only around 1,200 of them made(according to Richard Schram).
Richard Schram has never given an production volume estimate for the 16.5 - in fact, he stated to me that he did not know or remember, as he was predominantly involved with design and not so much the commercial end of PS' business.
EDIT: Having looked through the Schram interviews, he did actually estimate that 1,200 16.5s were produced. So Henry, you are correct:yes:!. However, he also stated that "but my memory is very fuzzy about this. I don't recall any information with which serial numbers might correlate". As far as I can estimate from the serial number database, and as Sam points out, the actual number may be more than twice that. With well over half Pacific Stereo's outlets located in California, it is very likely that the majority of the new 16.5's were also sold to residents in this state, leaving precious few anywhere else.

SoCal Sam said:
As far as the final number of 16.5's produced, NN's serial number database has a high in the 2700's so a lot more than 1200 could have been produced.

My BS-5500 came yesterday!!!! big thanks to SoCal Sam!!

he sent me all the paperwork etc with it.:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I removed the faceplate and individually cleaned each part, knob, and both of the handles.

It looks really minty now. I used a lens-cleaning cloth to squeese under the plastic front to clean under it.

The only issue with it right now is that the right speaker C light is burned out. Its the type of lamp that has a preattached cord to it. If any one knows how many volts it is, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THanks!!

theblackknight said:
removed the faceplate and individually cleaned each part, knob, and both of the handles.
It looks really minty now. I used a lens-cleaning cloth to squeese under the plastic front to clean under it...

You missed a spot, Henry. Just kidding! It looks great, and I should be fortunate if either of my teen sons took vintage gear to heart the way you do.

I'm happy you like your new BS-5500. Judging by your awesome detail job, the BS-5500 is now in a good hands. She never looked so good when I had her.

Start thinking about a summer job or cutting your neighbors' lawns. One is not enough...
theblackknight said:

he sent me all the paperwork etc with it.:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I removed the faceplate and individually cleaned each part, knob, and both of the handles.

It looks really minty now. I used a lens-cleaning cloth to squeese under the plastic front to clean under it.

The only issue with it right now is that the right speaker C light is burned out. Its the type of lamp that has a preattached cord to it. If any one knows how many volts it is, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THanks!!

here are some pics---
bs5500a001.jpg

bs5500a002.jpg

bs5500a003.jpg

bs5500a004.jpg

the BS-5500 sounds much warmer than I thought it would. I figured that with the focus on design, the sound would not be as great. But, it REALLY SOUNDS good!!!!

some kids my age collect video games. others collect lots of different things. I am trying to collect setton stuff. I just LOVE the looks.

and , besides the looks, the BS-5500 will run ONE HELLUVA sweet party.:boink: :rockon: I like dancing, loud music, and setton. The BS-5500 satisfies those needs.:tresbon:

How about a scan of the test results card. I think the tech filled in the blanks because the results are the same on both sides...

SoCal Sam said:
How about a scan of the test results card. I think the tech filled in the blanks because the results are the same on both sides...
I dont have a scanner, but I will try to take a picture of it later this weekend.:thmbsp:

I just hooked my cambridge 540D up directly to the BS5500. the 540D has a variable R/C volume, so I set the controls on the 5500 acordingly.

ALL I CAN SAY IN WOW!!!!! It sounds INCREDIBLE!!! this is a really sweet amp!

just if I could get the matching pre and tuner.....................I hope to find them sometime or another.

I also need the BS-5500 SM!!!

BTW, does anyone know if the amp/preamp sections are separateable on the AS-3300 or AS-1100?

test card

Here is the test card--

the manual says it is 100wpc.
it starts to clip at a whoppin 162 wpc!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop:

Setton BS5500

While I am new to this forum I am no stranger to the world of vintage audio gear having been an enthusiast since the late sixties I have seen it all ( or at least most). This particular thread encouraged me to tell my story regarding Setton equipment. It all started at a small town yard sale about ten years ago. The sale was just down the street from my house at the time so I decided to take a walk down to the sale and check things out . Sitting on the grass was a rather grimy looking power amp and pre-amp that at first glance appeared to be some sort of Japanese made behemoth. The power amp was missing a handle and was so grimy I debated as to whether I was interested in even asking the price. I did however and the seller told me it was $4. I said"per piece or for both".She said "for both". What the heck I thought, maybe I can salvage some parts,etc. The first thing I noticed was how heavy the amp was because I had to carry it home. Once I got the two pieces home I started cleaning and after a couple of hours I was astonished to find that underneath the grime that both items were almost mint condition. I started investigating the Setton brand on the internet and found almost nothing. I was at the time using a Dynaco set-up which I loved so I stored the Setton for future consideration.OK, set the time machine for 2009. My Arcam (the Dynaco kicked the bucket eventually) blew a fuse so I took it in for repair. Now I had several back up pieces I could have used including a Luxman receiver and a Fisher tube receiver but for some reason I thought about the Setton which had never even been powered up. I hauled it out of the basement, re-cleaned it and plugged it in. WOW!!! It was love at first listen. My tech has since called me a couple of times to say that my Arcam is fixed and ready to go, but frankly I haven't been in a rush to pick it up because I am just lovin' my Settons. I have the BS5500 power amp and the PS5500 pre-amp. I removed all the handles(hate those things anyway) and not only do they look like a million bucks but they sound unlike anything I have ever heard. The sound-stage is so huge it seems like my living room wall has completely disappeared and bass detail the likes of which I have never encountered before.For the record the rest of my system is vintage also, the turntable is a Technics SL110 with an SME 3009 tonearm and my speakers are a minty pair of Dynaco A25's. Total investment $129. Who says you have to spend mega bucks to get good sound?

While I am new to this forum I am no stranger to the world of vintage audio gear having been an enthusiast since the late sixties I have seen it all ( or at least most). This particular thread encouraged me to tell my story regarding Setton equipment. It all started at a small town yard sale about ten years ago. The sale was just down the street from my house at the time so I decided to take a walk down to the sale and check things out . Sitting on the grass was a rather grimy looking power amp and pre-amp that at first glance appeared to be some sort of Japanese made behemoth. The power amp was missing a handle and was so grimy I debated as to whether I was interested in even asking the price. I did however and the seller told me it was $4. I said"per piece or for both".She said "for both". What the heck I thought, maybe I can salvage some parts,etc. The first thing I noticed was how heavy the amp was because I had to carry it home. Once I got the two pieces home I started cleaning and after a couple of hours I was astonished to find that underneath the grime that both items were almost mint condition. I started investigating the Setton brand on the internet and found almost nothing. I was at the time using a Dynaco set-up which I loved so I stored the Setton for future consideration.OK, set the time machine for 2009. My Arcam (the Dynaco kicked the bucket eventually) blew a fuse so I took it in for repair. Now I had several back up pieces I could have used including a Luxman receiver and a Fisher tube receiver but for some reason I thought about the Setton which had never even been powered up. I hauled it out of the basement, re-cleaned it and plugged it in. WOW!!! It was love at first listen. My tech has since called me a couple of times to say that my Arcam is fixed and ready to go, but frankly I haven't been in a rush to pick it up because I am just lovin' my Settons. I have the BS5500 power amp and the PS5500 pre-amp. I removed all the handles(hate those things anyway) and not only do they look like a million bucks but they sound unlike anything I have ever heard. The sound-stage is so huge it seems like my living room wall has completely disappeared and bass detail the likes of which I have never encountered before.For the record the rest of my system is vintage also, the turntable is a Technics SL110 with an SME 3009 tonearm and my speakers are a minty pair of Dynaco A25's. Total investment $129. Who says you have to spend mega bucks to get good sound?

Welcome and great story! I used to have a pair of BS5500's. I could never nail down a PS5500 or the tuner so off they went to a new home. Good sounding amp made by Pioneer, I think.

cool story. now you just need to recap that set, then see how it sounds.

the BS-5500 is the best amp I have ever owned. Mine is in mint condition and is recapped. I absolutely love it.

bs5500c.jpg

Notice the new Nichicon Gold series power supply caps.
retakes001.jpg

retakes002.jpg

I have the:

BS-5500 owner's manual and scematics
PS-5500 owner's manual, service manual, and scematics

all scanned.

Please PM me with your email address if you'd like me to send them.

Henry

I am new to AK, my recent acquisition of a PS5500 and BS5500 has found me here. I discovered this beautiful set up idling in an out-building in southern France, I knew the owner (who had acquired them with the property) and took them home for a trial. Despite the 30 years of accumulated gunk on the inside they worked almost perfectly from the off. Hooked up to my Celestion Ditton 15XRs they sound excellent, without doubt the best sounding amp I have ever owned. I have a crackling volume knob, but I understand this is easy to repair.

I am trying to discover more about them, most of the links posted earlier in this thread do not exist anymore. Does anyone have an update of where this information is held? As usual I am looking for manuals etc, and any hints on reconditioning. I am a complete noob when it comes to refurbishment but want to get into it. Is there a source of information that describes reconditioning amps, re caps etc from a beginners point of view?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Russ

Back
Top Bottom