Setton BS 5500

I have not read all posts in this tread so sorry if this already has come up, but here is the Pre. amp. to OP´s Power amp: Ebay.de

Last edited:
Laser Dude, please edit and remove your ebay link, otherwise you'll get this thread kicked over to Dollars and Sense (D&S). You can point to an ebay reference by just listing the item number and not a link.

Russo, Welcome to AK! There are quite a few Setton enthusiasts and owners on AK, you might consider also posting a new thread to see if anyone has more info. Try vintage solid state as the forum.

I'm not an owner but an admirerer of Setton gear. Had to pass on one of the smaller receivers but do like the look and general quality of the products. Hopefully the other owners will chime in soon for your questions.

BTW, how is it this thread has a 5th page showing on the page selector but it keep reverting back to the 4th page (which hasn't yet reached over 135 posts?)

One BS-5500 on eBay with one amp inop.
One pre and amp listed in Santa Maria Ca Craigslist.

Welcome to AK.
That was 12 years ago, he may have found one by now.
Also you can't buy and sell in the open forums (if that was your intent).
Not really my intention. Just curious if he still needed. I realize it was quite some time ago

Not really my intention. Just curious if he still needed. I realize it was quite some time ago
That's cool, no harm, hope you didn't take offense.
Open ended question like that could have been interpreted in more than one way.

Welcome to AK.
That was 12 years ago, he may have found one by now.
Also you can't buy and sell in the open forums (if that was your intent).

I'm ok with it but I do not set the rules. Anyways, the Setton's are long, long gone so don't need the preamp. Very nice stuff and an interesting company. Never could figure out who made them. I'm was thinking Pioneer or more likely Foster.

I'm ok with it but I do not set the rules. Anyways, the Setton's are long, long gone so don't need the preamp. Very nice stuff and an interesting company. Never could figure out who made them. I'm was thinking Pioneer or more likely Foster.
I’m not sure who actually manufactured them. I had the BS5500 and PS5500. Very powerful, clean sound and very pleasing to the eye. Amp went by the wayside, much to my disappointment.

I’m not sure who actually manufactured them. I had the BS5500 and PS5500. Very powerful, clean sound and very pleasing to the eye. Amp went by the wayside, much to my disappointment.
At one time or another, I've owned all of the Setton models of receivers, integrated amps, preamps, power amps, tuners, and turntables. I still have my original AS-1100 integrated amp that I purchased new in 1978, and the PS5500 and BS5500 preamp and amp. Great pieces of equipment.

CC1856E5-A76B-4335-B762-7F31E7E3CD7C.jpeg

Setton is definitely great eye candy with decent build quality...I was fortunate enough to come across two sets in a short amount of time.

About Setton...

In the mid 70's, in France, a team was formed around the leadership of Jack Setton, Harold Weinberg, Bernard Bertuol and Toshiro Yasamura. Gradually, the team grew as one after another, their different projects took shape. The contribution of their Japanese technicians was essential. Indeed, the Japanese are some of the best by far in the areas of automation and systematic computer control of each audio part. Originally, the Frenchman Jacky Setton decided to develop a small series of receivers and amps, which immediately gained a good reputation through internationally awarded reviews. Although Setton was based in New York, he had "research" centers all over the globe - he was French in the first place and the French distributor of Pioneer, among other things. It's been said that some units may have been designed in cooperation with Pioneer. For the noble front design with oval elements, Setton commissioned French designer Alain Carre (from the fashion house Pierre Cardin) to produce the elegant look now associated with Setton products.

Because Setton closed shop around 1980 and went on to other grand adventures, it's very true that there is a very limited number of these beauties floating around out there...

Back
Top Bottom