Setup Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi for basic 2-channel use without remote & mic?

thurber

I picked one of these up for $60 with no remote or mic. Going to look for those online, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone knows if these types of receivers can be used without going through the whole MCACC rigamarole? I spent about an hour poking various buttons blindly and switching inputs but couldn't get sound (except for tuner, so I assume it is working) - I think the manual is saying you have to do the MCACC before anything else. Going to spend some more time with the manual later tonight and also try a reset, but wondering if anyone knows these units and if there is a way to just get some sound going through it. Any help or insight very much appreciated. Thanks!

Should be usable without the mic, but without a remote sometimes complicates things.

Find the factory reset and do that before going further.

The only other issue I have at the moment is with regard to the speaker impedance setting. The manual suggests you can switch between settings for 6 ohm & 8 ohm speakers (I use 6 ohm) by holding down the 'Speaker' button, while pressing 'Standby/On.' Except there is no sign on the display that you have changed it. So I don't know if you are just supposed to assume that it's been changed, or if I'm not doing it right. Anyone have any thoughts?

Personally I suggest just leaving it at 8 ohms. All 6 ohms does is limit the performance. May be no big deal (to leave it on the performance-limiting 6 ohm setting) if you never crank it up much.

Last edited:
Yep - leave it at 8 ohms and just don't crank it all the way to 11.

Remote on eBay - from China, so unsure about quality. Price is right though...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Pionee...574592?hash=item1ca0115480:g:RUgAAOSw3sNZebGy

Looks a lot like the one I have for a Pio VSX something or other that I picked up as a "challenge". It was a "parts or repair only" sale, but I had seen a quick fix written up that I thought might work. It didn't. Microphones for the MCACC system are readily available on ePay also, but if you aren't going to use surround speakers, I see no need to use the system.

Just picked up one, awesome receiver. Of course, no remote. Any recent information on how to use this without remote? Especially speaker setup. Any aftermarket remote will work?

Just picked up one, awesome receiver. Of course, no remote. Any recent information on how to use this without remote? Especially speaker setup. Any aftermarket remote will work?

Well, I'd start by checking into downloading a manual and see how far you can get using the front panel. Might be able to do everything for setup, or maybe not, but that's where to start.

Back
Top Bottom