Severe shoulder and arm pain ~Wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy~

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm sure most have noticed I have posted minimally as of the last 3 weeks (Just kiddin', I know no one noticed)! Well my symptoms started as shoulder soreness, morphed into all the muscles around my right shoulder blade hardening to rocks (24/7), spine pain, and shooting nerve pain down my tricep, forearm, and wrist. The pain was constant 24 hrs a day, couldn't sit, stand, lay to alleviate. I went to the emergency room, this quack lidocained the crap out of my shoulder and prescribed pretty weak muscle relaxers. 2 days later, still in agony, I went to my PA who prescribed super strong relaxers. I bought a TENS stimulator and started choking down these horse relaxers. End of week two I started to feel better (still thinking it's a pinched nerve in the shoulder) so I scheduled a massage (huge mistake). Pain, muscle hardness came back 10x's worse the next day and continued for the rest of the week.

I finally took someone's advice and scheduled "dry needling" at a local Chiropractor. Showed up and explained where my pain was and immediately he stated, "it's your neck." I said I don't have neck issues, he showed me a diagram of the nervous system, pointing to the nerve that ran the length of my entire pain path. He lit me up with a Torodol injections (anti-inflame) in my neck and shoulder and scheduled me for an MRI immediately. BTW, he stated that in my condition and MRI (having to lay flat and still) is going to be one of the most painful things you've ever done (he was spot on, just brutal). Next day it was confirmed (as he stated) Herniation of the C5/6. He started therapy and performed traction (medieval head/neck pulling machine). I felt slight relief. He stated to ice the heck out of my neck over the weekend and return (Monday/today) for traction again. Well I iced it and found a way to perform a minor traction myself at home (using my arms and elbows, almost like I'm giving myself a full nelson). 30 mins later I felt, for the first GD time in 3 weeks, my muscles relax and my pain stop. I'm on an oral steroid for another 2 days and I'm sure repeated visits to this therapist, but I'm pain free for the most part, except that my posture is raised on my right shoulder still from tense but non-painful muscle tightening.

I suffered neck herniations as well, from an industrial accident (scaffold collapse; also dislocated right shoulder, and mid-joint right thumb). Sucks. It took me out for nearly three years.
I made a traction device from ballistic nylon straps, an eye hook and pulley, some rope, and a gallon water bottle. I put the eye bolt into the top of a door frame, and hooked the pulley to it. A piece of rope connected the head harness to the weight (water bottle with water load). I'd put a chair under the door frame, and set myself up for some traction. I eventually set this up so that I could lie down, and still have it apply traction. It all seemed to work very well.
So very sorry to hear of your pain. Empathy sent.

I suffered neck herniations as well, from an industrial accident (scaffold collapse; also dislocated right shoulder, and mid-joint right thumb). Sucks. It took me out for nearly three years.
I made a traction device from ballistic nylon straps, an eye hook and pulley, some rope, and a gallon water bottle. I put the eye bolt into the top of a door frame, and hooked the pulley to it. A piece of rope connected the head harness to the weight (water bottle with water load). I'd put a chair under the door frame, and set myself up for some traction. I eventually set this up so that I could lie down, and still have it apply traction. It all seemed to work very well.
So very sorry to hear of your pain. Empathy sent.

Not sure if it's related, since it's my neck, but I badly dislocated the shoulder on the side I'm having issues with 20 years ago.

That sounds awful. I still have shoulder and neck pain and stiffness from time to time after a severe shoulder injury more than 15 years ago (spiral fracture > hemi-arthroplasty), but yours sounds worse. I hope it continues to improve.

Discs C5-C6 and C6-C7 replaced in July with Mobi -C implants.I got up from the sofa and could not feel my legs,I had had a spinal stroke.
Next Thurs I am having a Laminoplasty which is specifically to provide relief from numbness ,pain or weakness in arm movement.Also a foraminotomy,which enlarges the passageway where a spinal nerve exits the spinal canal.
My arm felt like it was on fire for a while.Now I have numbness and weakness.These procedures will be done at the C-7 T-1 level.
Best advice I can give you is to get an MRI.
I suffered needlessly for a month trying different remedies when in fact my cervical discs were squeezing my spinal cord.
Get an MRI And have a neurosurgeon review it.

Last edited:
Haji. take care with the oral corticosteriods. If this is your 1st round, you may feel like they are a godsend but they can be the devil.

Similar situation here. Just had a total reverse shoulder about a year back, and the other one has a 50% rotor tear, both due to a motorcycle accident a couple years back. I'd also apparently broken my neck some time ago and somehow managed not to notice? Anyway. Doing some therapy and the guy saw a good bit of neck stiffness and started poking around. A bunch of stretches and some home exercises later, I can't vouch for any miracle cures, but the neck and shoulders certainly feel better for it and I'm seeing some improvement in mobility. Might be all psychological, but I can't say as I care, long as it works.

Similar situation here. Just had a total reverse shoulder about a year back, and the other one has a 50% rotor tear, both due to a motorcycle accident a couple years back.
Dang, has it been a couple of years already?? Seems like last summer I thought.
I do recall sKiZ is lucky to even be in the here and now.

Wait, 2 years since sKiZo's wreck?? That can't be right.

To hajidub, I have bouts where my neck, shoulder and tricep will just tighten up and won't let go. MOST of the time, I can find a way around it, and I know I have neck issues and will one day have to go under the scalpel.

Wishing you a continued recovery and pain-free days.

I suffer from cervical radiculopathy caused by bending my neck back and to the left.
The sickening pain starts at the center of my shoulder and radiates down the arm and to thumb and index finger.
I had to give up two of my favorite things, surfing and necking along with many lesser activities that let me know soon after I attempt them.

Not sure if it's related, since it's my neck, but I badly dislocated the shoulder on the side I'm having issues with 20 years ago.
I am so very sorry to hear about your suffering. I've been through a herniated disc (actually, all of my discs have deteriorated--genetic!) and it was the worst pain I've even been through in my entire life (and I'm a carpenter).

For me, it was L5/S1, and the best way to describe it is as follows: ever smashed a finger with a framing hammer? Hurts like crazy for a minute or two, then the pain abates to something tolerable. This felt like a smashed finger except it was the whole left leg and it would not stop hurting at that crazy level 10 pain. Round the clock Demerol for 3 days, then a spinal injection w/ nerve blocker and steroid cocktail finally knocked most of it out. After that, the thing that helped me the most was physical therapy; tons of stretching and weights, Roman chair exercises.

I continue to do my stretches every night, ten years later, and try to lift weights and row at least once a week. Once you're out of the woods, keep moving, keep using your body. And if you feel like none of the professionals you're talking to have a good handle on your predicament, find new ones. Don't stop until you get someone who understands your condition completely.

Again, very sorry about your pain. It is terrible!

I've had a few hard falls in the last several years, rotator cuffs bunged and upper body strength diminished as a result. It's still difficult to lift anything above chest level.

Back
Top Bottom