Sgt.Peppers.... too dated?

Apropos of nothing...

I think that the second side of Abbey Road is the quintessential soundtrack for a Sunday evening. I've listened to it countless times over the decades just before bed on many a Sunday night.

Apropos of nothing...

I think that the second side of Abbey Road is the quintessential soundtrack for a Sunday evening. I've listened to it countless times over the decades just before bed on many a Sunday night.

And one of the most brilliant recordings ever made. I find it enjoyable on other nights too.

Apropos of nothing...

When I was a kid, I sometimes mistook the Moody Blues for the Beatles. So I call Tuesday Afternoon, but I still don't know if that was George or Ringo singing on that one. :scratch2: :D

I don't think that just because something is dated, that it means it can't be good. Pop music is particularly sensitive to sounding dated when it's overly concerned with something that was trendy at the time and, and that something is no longer trendy. The psychedelia sound, for example. There's very little pop music that's over a few years old that ISN'T dated sounding. I think the only exceptions are when something was so ahead of its time, or not concerned with trends, that it defies categorization. And by nature, that stuff probably wasn't all that popular in the first place. I think of Big Star's 3rd album....a lot of indie rock owes a debt to that album, and you could play it, and it doesn't sound like it's time, or any other time. It's just this singular thing by itself.

Certainly somebody in the Romantic period heard Baroque and thought "eww, it's so dated!".

Doesn't matter. Something can be dated and still be great. And Sgt Pepper...is dated. It was part of a trend that no longer is a trend. Same with Odessey & Oracle that I love so much. I still love it. Even music I love from the '90s, the whole shoegaze-genre, sounds dated. It's of the early '90s and sounds like it, to anybody who lived through it. And there's bands today doing a perfect copy of it....which sound as dated as the real thing.

And one of the most brilliant recordings ever made. I find it enjoyable on other nights too.

A very mature work; a great band's very carefully crafted and heartfelt "goodbye". Sounds great, too (I am still much enamored of my "SR/2" half-speed mastered MoFi LP).

Those boys knew how to end an album, too!

Maybe it's time to dust off and re-discover those 50 year old pop classics.

Never been a fan of Pop Music from any period. Most of it lacks musical creativity beyond the basic melody. It all follows the same basic format of 3 or 4 rhyming verses separated by a repeating chorus. Repeat the chorus twice after the last verse and fade to black.

i believe, "She's Leaving Home" is on that record. Odd song, but I like it very much. Makes my wife cry. But I agree with overall gist of the post. I prefer Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, White ablum.

I don't think that just because something is dated, that it means it can't be good. Pop music is particularly sensitive to sounding dated when it's overly concerned with something that was trendy at the time and, and that something is no longer trendy. The psychedelia sound, for example. There's very little pop music that's over a few years old that ISN'T dated sounding. I think the only exceptions are when something was so ahead of its time, or not concerned with trends, that it defies categorization. And by nature, that stuff probably wasn't all that popular in the first place. I think of Big Star's 3rd album....a lot of indie rock owes a debt to that album, and you could play it, and it doesn't sound like it's time, or any other time. It's just this singular thing by itself.

Certainly somebody in the Romantic period heard Baroque and thought "eww, it's so dated!".

Doesn't matter. Something can be dated and still be great. And Sgt Pepper...is dated. It was part of a trend that no longer is a trend. Same with Odessey & Oracle that I love so much. I still love it. Even music I love from the '90s, the whole shoegaze-genre, sounds dated. It's of the early '90s and sounds like it, to anybody who lived through it. And there's bands today doing a perfect copy of it....which sound as dated as the real thing.

This how I feel.
I think the term can have a negative connotation to it, but it shouldn't.

What mix of O&O do you prefer? The disc I have has mono and stereo. I've been listening to it in my truck, and I started with the stereo mix. I didn't care for the mix, much like listening to Pepper in there(or on headphones). I switched over to the mono and sounded better. Less "dated", to be honest.

Never been a fan of Pop Music from any period. Most of it lacks musical creativity beyond the basic melody.

Not even Cole Porter, Rogers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Lowe, Johnny Mercer, the Gershwin Brothers and Noel Coward? Too bad.

In terms of considering some of The Beatles music sounding dated. The Beatles themselves, made their "own" music sound dated with each new release.

"Strawberry Fields Forever" recorded just a little over 3 years after "I Want To Hold Your Hand", made that song sound positively antique in comparison.....that was the genius of The Beatles and their musical evolution!

Not even Cole Porter, Rogers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Lowe, Johnny Mercer, the Gershwin Brothers and Noel Coward? Too bad.

Twenty years ago I don't think I would have cared much for any of them. Now? Every time I put on music with a female singing a "standard" my kid thinks it's Ella. I guess I've come around on the songbook style of music. I seem to fall back to it a lot.

In terms of considering some of The Beatles music sounding dated. The Beatles themselves, made their "own" music sound dated with each new release.

"Strawberry Fields Forever" recorded just a little over 3 years after "I Want To Hold Your Hand", made that song sound positively antique in comparison.....that was the genius of The Beatles and their musical evolution!

Good point.For the record my favorite tracks on Sgt.Pep are "A Day in the Life" and "Good Morning".The rest.. meh.I always did prefer Lennons vocals compared to McCartneys and this lp seems to be McCartney as the majority.

I don't think music ever sounds dated. I think it is more a matter of the listener dating it. In a non-relationship sense. :)

Music is music, and is pretty well always of its time. It's either good or not good. It's just a matter of what the listener brings to it. If the time it was made matters to you, then whether it is dated or not will be an issue. If you can put that aside, then it is just music.

I don't think music ever sounds dated. I think it is more a matter of the listener dating it. In a non-relationship sense. :)

Music is music, and is pretty well always of its time. It's either good or not good. It's just a matter of what the listener brings to it. If the time it was made matters to you, then whether it is dated or not will be an issue. If you can put that aside, then it is just music.

What the Mounty said :yes:

That is the point I was trying to make, but you state it better. That and the blatant irony of someone with a Hendrix avatar asking if something from the exact same period is "dated."

Besides, nobody here really cares whether it is dated or not. Criticisms have come down to:

1. I do not like the Beatles in the first place.
2. I used to like it but have heard it too much.
3. I like [insert other Beatles album] better.
4. I do not like rock and roll in general.
5. My tastes have changed.
6. I like it, but I despise the never ending attention and praise the Beatles garner while the Zombies languish in obscurity.

All are legitimate stances (except #6) but have litte or anything to do with something being dated, whatever that means.:music:

That is the point I was trying to make, but you state it better. That and the blatant irony of someone with a Hendrix avatar asking if something from the exact same period is "dated."

Besides, nobody here really cares whether it is dated or not. Criticisms have come down to:

1. I do not like the Beatles in the first place.
2. I used to like it but have heard it too much.
3. I like [insert other Beatles album] better.
4. I do not like rock and roll in general.
5. My tastes have changed.
6. I like it, but I despise the never ending attention and praise the Beatles garner while the Zombies languish in obscurity.

All are legitimate stances (except #6) but have litte or anything to do with something being dated, whatever that means.:music:

Thanks for clearing things up, but I have a question. I have to go out shopping this afternoon. I was going to give the Zombies another listen, but I'm wondering if I should pop Pepper into the CD player. What do I do?:D

...but have litte or anything to do with something being dated, whatever that means.:music:

yes, i'm guilty of that here. lost track of the OP. is dated the opposite of timeless? if so, dated would mean having the quality where only folks in that particular time could appreciate it. and with SGP that's obviously not the case. overrated somewhat is what I think...Pet Sounds is greater example.

As someone wondefully mentioned earlier.." so Bach is also....dated"?? If this is the case... Wait I m going to also going to can my Miles Kind of Blue album now.Why? Its from 1959.. so its dated.

There are people here who are often trying to show off their pseudo intellectualism on this blog. I call them the "Jesus people" (those who are convinced they have the light and must show it to others...) These people by defintion will go against a current. Again thats OK because its just their opinion and that is fine. There is no right or wrong answer here. Its a discussion.

Now if some like the Zombies more than St pepper ( BTW I just ordered the O and O as I have ...euh never heard it) so be it ... It that works for them ;) I respect everybodies opinion and will not impose my vision on anyone!

Back
Top Bottom