Share my system? Why not?

Ty Krebs

I've lurked on this forum for a while and not posted anything. I figured that I'll put my neck out and take the beating about how I need to change this or that, what component is the worst possible thing I spent money on, etc., etc.

"Core" components bought in my 20s - integrated amp, turntable, disc player. DIY portions have come in the last 2 years. When I do upgrade I will probably continue down the DIY path, its fun and rewarding.

Cheers

Sources:
Dell Laptop running Clementine -> AMB Gamma2 Dac -> DIY cables
Sota Moonbeam, Rega S101 tone arm, Grado Prestige(0) Gold w/8mz stylus -> Schiit Mani -> Kimber Hero
Sony DVP-NC650V DVD/SACD Player -> Audioquest Diamondback

Amplification:
Creek 4330R mkII Integrated

Speakers:
DIY Cables -> ER18MTM (Ribbon version)

Monster HTS-1600 Power Center

All DIY components made by me, including equipment rack

What am I looking to upgrade next:
DAC
Amplification (?)
Phono setup - it's a bit bass heavy

Welcome aboard!!!

I figured that I'll put my neck out and take the beating about how I need to change this or that, what component is the worst possible thing I spent money on, etc., etc.

Please don't feel that way. If you like what you have--go with it!!! If you solicit recommendations regarding upgrades/changes, then ask--THEN brace for the worst LOL.

No "shame in your game"--enjoy the music that it makes!!!

Sources:
Dell Laptop running Clementine -> AMB Gamma2 Dac -> DIY cables...

Hell yes! The feature set of Clementine is simply astounding. You have an excellent setup on nice, natural looking shelving. Welcome to AK, Ty Krebs.

Thank you all for the welcome.

I'm happy with the music I get out of my equipment but, of course, I'm always looking on ways to "upgrade". If I didn't want to make the music sound better then I wouldn't be an audiophile, would I?.

@parman - I'll get on that right away.... (right after I put a new roof on the house):D

Hell yes! The feature set of Clementine is simply astounding. You have an excellent setup on nice, natural looking shelving. Welcome to AK, Ty Krebs.

I fell in love with Clementine on an old linux install and now won't go away from it. It really is great.

Thanks about the shelving. Its birch and mahogany with just a clear coat. I thought the contrast would look good. Most important of all is that my wife likes the look.:naughty:

SOTA moonbeam was my first modern tt. I really liked that piece. And it looks good, too. That's a great little setup there - I wish I had speakers that size!
I've never heard a piece of Creek gear but it's certainly highly regarded so maybe look elsewhere for the first few upgrades.

SOTA moonbeam was my first modern tt. I really liked that piece. And it looks good, too. That's a great little setup there - I wish I had speakers that size!
I've never heard a piece of Creek gear but it's certainly highly regarded so maybe look elsewhere for the first few upgrades.

Thanks Saggy. The SOTA I got for a steal because the motor made a ticking noise. I just replaced the motor and it's been rock solid since. If I change out anything on my LP rig it will be the cartridge. I'm thinking of trying out a Denon DL103 but haven't pulled my wallet out yet. I've been pleasantly surprised with the Schiit Mani.

I've had my Creek for over 15 years and haven't found anything that I can afford that I'd want to replace it with. I had a Marantz 2220B that sounded noisy in comparison. I tried some LJM L15D class D amps with the Creek preamp section that just didn't make it either, the highs weren't as clean as the Creek amp section and the bass was a bit loose. I've been toying with building a Hypex UcD amp for fun but I've got to pry some funds out of the wife first.....

Cheers

There is a DIY turntable of my own design in the works. I hope it sounds good after all the work I've been putting into it. I'll be posting pics when it's done

If you upgraded the amp, are you staying integrated or going to separates? What's the budget?

That Moonbeam is very upgradeable. have fun but before going crazy on it look online for a used Comet or even Sapphire, as you can probably sell the Moonbeam, take the proceeds, and add a few hundred dollars for a better table.

***aaaaand I just read your comment about the DYI tt.

carry on....

Back
Top Bottom