Sharp RT-2251 Cassette

danrclem

I've been wanting to add a cassette deck to my system even though I won't use it much and I found this one locally. I can't find out much about it but it looks like it was quite expensive new.

I can get it cheap but says it needs a belt so I'd be taking a chance on the rest of the unit. Is this a good unit or should I wait for something else?

Sharp cassette

They were solid. well built decks that are straight forward Performers. IMHO that would be a nice addition. We sold Optonica back in the day so the decks were pretty much the same

I can't find out much about it but it looks like it was quite expensive new.

Is this a good unit or should I wait for something else?

Looks to be well made. According to the vintage cassette website,it's MRRP was $360 back in 1979... a budget to middle class deck.

I picked up a Sharp RT-2251 at a flea market a while back and it is a good deck, once you get it fixed up. One thing to note about this deck is the take up spindle is attached to the capstan by way of a tiny rubber wheel. This tiny rubber wheel was completely melted off of my unit into a sticky tar. If that happens, the tape will not thread up and the deck will keep stopping itself. In order to fix mine I took apart the capstan, cleaned off all the goo, and it may sound odd, but a little bouncy ball rubber inflator nipple actually makes a perfect replacement tire. It can be ground down with a dremel tool to correct size. Hold it in the sleeve and shove the capstan back through. You may also want to join the two rubber idlers on the second motor for FF and REW together to give more friction when rewinding and fast forwarding, otherwise the wheels may slip and operate slowly. Just a few quirks I found out with this specific model.

I picked up a Sharp RT-2251 at a flea market a while back and it is a good deck, once you get it fixed up. One thing to note about this deck is the take up spindle is attached to the capstan by way of a tiny rubber wheel. This tiny rubber wheel was completely melted off of my unit into a sticky tar. If that happens, the tape will not thread up and the deck will keep stopping itself. In order to fix mine I took apart the capstan, cleaned off all the goo, and it may sound odd, but a little bouncy ball rubber inflator nipple actually makes a perfect replacement tire. It can be ground down with a dremel tool to correct size. Hold it in the sleeve and shove the capstan back through. You may also want to join the two rubber idlers on the second motor for FF and REW together to give more friction when rewinding and fast forwarding, otherwise the wheels may slip and operate slowly. Just a few quirks I found out with this specific model.
I just picked up a RT-2251 the other day, the counter belt was broken, got a new one, but confused on installation. It looks like it goes direct from take-up reel to free flywheel to counter, but the door hinge is in the way. Any suggestions?

^^^ disassembly perhaps. :dunno:

@ChrisMurdock - how the wow and flutter?
Don't have the equipment for that - but I believe I figured out the counter belt by placing both top and bottom loop on bottom of the free flywheel, thus having the belt go under the door hinge. That being said, and some cleaning I did to the rollers, etc. I have everything working w/exception of playback. That stops within 5 - 10 seconds. Sounds like your issue, but the capstan looks pretty good - maybe worn down possibly. Any words of wisdom?

There’s a small but loyal contingent from the St. Louis area here on AK.
—-
BTW - welcome to AK.

There’s a small but loyal contingent from the St. Louis area here on AK.
—-
BTW - welcome to AK.
Thanks! Appreciate the welcome!! As mentioned above, got this old Sharp RT2251, and am having a heck of a time. Had the same issues that Chris mentioned above (using an inflator nipple) and seems to work a little, but still no success (mine was very gummy as well!). Take up spool doesn't seem to move as freely as I think it should. Do you know anyone around here that works on these? My eyes aren't what they used to be!!!!

There are not many and the best bet will be Alpha Tech on Big Bend. Team there has pretty good with the things I have taken to be repaired. I have learned to repair some of my own things over the years and enjoy trying to do that. Some things I'll send off though. Nak decks go to Nakmandan in Round Lake, IL. Tube stuff goes to where the expert is. My Citation stuff has gone to Jim McShane in the past but he really doesn't do repairs any longer. My tuners go Michigan to PunkerX. My Thorens table is with Jim Campbell right now getting the once over. Most of that stuff is either over my head or the repair is specific and I son't have the tools to do the job. Give Alpha a call.

^^^ disassembly perhaps. :dunno:

@ChrisMurdock - how’s the wow and flutter?
Just signed back into this site after a long break. Wow and flutter on the 2250 is, I would say, up there with the Onkyo TA-20xx series decks. Could compete with the Sankyo transports, but maybe just under. It's a decent worthwhile 2 head 2 motor deck.

Back
Top Bottom