Sharp RT-3388 fancy Cassette Deck!!!

jleon92f

Addicted Member
Hi Analog Fans...

I picked this up a while ago because it looked cool! It worked for a few minutes then died..the deck itself looks brand new?

FF seems to be the only thing that works well. Is there a manual for this deck, looks like a computer with all the controls..

Thanks,
John.:music:

Last edited:
Ohhhhh, I remember that thing. It was one of the first to have a way to locate tracks on a cassette. That is, you could put it into a mode where it would monitor the tape for dead spots then drop into play when the silence was long enough. For the late 70s, this was indeed high-tech. It wasn't fool proof but close.

Sonics-wise, it was a pretty standard cassette play/rec unit. The Naks, Sony and Teac decks of the same era were much better at recording and playback.

Don't know where to find manuals but it likely needs belts and wheels and a lube replaced.

Cheers,

David

Oh, boy... It is also going to need a rubber doughnut that goes on the capstan and drives the T/U idler.

Some suggested subs are auto vacuum hose, vinyl tubing, that sort of thing.

Thanks, it just ate 2 test tapes.:tears:

So I will put it on the things to do list!:D

Thanks,
John.:music:

Ohhhhh, I remember that thing. It was one of the first to have a way to locate tracks on a cassette. That is, you could put it into a mode where it would monitor the tape for dead spots then drop into play when the silence was long enough. For the late 70s, this was indeed high-tech. It wasn't fool proof but close.

Sonics-wise, it was a pretty standard cassette play/rec unit. The Naks, Sony and Teac decks of the same era were much better at recording and playback.

Me too! I thought it was the coolest deck when I first had a look at one during the 70's. Performance wise, nothing to shout about.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240947

Here is a thread documenting my Sharp journey and all the folks that helped me along the way. I use it now on the main system. Belt changing wasn't difficult Unfortunately the computer stuff doesn't work on mine but it's a good sounding deck. I haven't done any recording yet so everything I have played was recorded on other machines. Gotta like the big ol' VU meters!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240947

Here is a thread documenting my Sharp journey and all the folks that helped me along the way. I use it now on the main system. Belt changing wasn't difficult Unfortunately the computer stuff doesn't work on mine but it's a good sounding deck. I haven't done any recording yet so everything I have played was recorded on other machines. Gotta like the big ol' VU meters!

Yup , I love the Meters. Thanks for the reply. I have it on my things to be fixed pile. I just like the way it looks! I don't know if the computer stuff works. There are Batteries in the rear for the clock, which I am thinking has to also do with the computer setup. Did your belt kit come with the tires too?

Thanks,
John.

A common failure in these were the lights for the display. They are routed THROUGH the display (if memory serves). It's been a very long time, but I seem to recall that the fix for a "no lights" condition on the 3388 was a new LCD module.

I have a Sharp RT-3388 that the tapes stop working. I found that a small rubber roller desolved on the flywheel shaft, so I machined a new one and installed it. Now it works like NEW! I can supply the wheels if anyone is interested?

Steve

This was Sharp's TOTL deck. We sold them at Dixie Hi Fi back in the day.
We had other brands of TOTL decks and the Sharp certainly was good sounding, especially considering they sold for less than the others. It was a buy with some techno bling as well.

I have a Sharp RT-3388 that the tapes stop working. I found that a small rubber roller desolved on the flywheel shaft, so I machined a new one and installed it. Now it works like NEW! I can supply the wheels if anyone is interested?

Steve
This is a shot in the dark, Steve. Are you still following this website? I am wondering if you still can make a small rubber for me like yours? I have a Sharp RT2251 with a similar transport the that takeup pulley 035 on the parts list dissolved also. Are you still around? John Or maybe the dimensions you used. I substituted a vinyl tube and it would brief and then abraided.... Thanks Pulp Speaker

Back
Top Bottom