Shawshank Redemption

Whatever its merits or flaws from a critical standpoint, few films have more memorable quotes & scenes as Shawshank with a similarly impressive number of references in popular culture.

"I'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the Sodomites. You'll think you've been ****ed by a train!." is the only one that comes to mind.

o_O "Get busy living or get busy dying." rings no bells then?

Shawshank is a good movie and King's story is even better.

I've seen it but once and don't remember any memorable quotes, even the two mentioned above. When it comes to memorable quotes Blade Runner, Casablanca, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: a space odyssey, Sunset Boulevard and The Wizard of Oz spring immediately to mind. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I liked everything about the movie except when Red was able to recall the name of the Mexican town (Zihuatenejo) which I think Andy mentioned once in passing. No way anyone would remember that. San What a Who? Zee Zee Nay-a Hay-o? Zing San Way to Go Ho? Maybe it wasn't even Mexico . . . hmmmmm.

I like the show, it is one of my all time favorites. I can watch this film once in every few years and every time it is as exciting as the first time. It is no point to keep arguing about which movie is The World's Best Movie of all time, because everybody would have his/her Best Movie anyway isn't it?

Some of my other all time favorites: Das Boot, Donny Brasco, 12 Angry Men, To Kill A Mocking Bird, The Great Escape, Out of Africa, A Passage to India, The Mission, God Father I & II, My Fair Lady, Breakfast at Tiffany's, La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty), Lawrence of Arabia, The Day of the Jackal, and...... boy, the list is almost unstoppable!

It's fairly decent. I gave it a 7 at IMDB. On the other hand, I gave An Innocent Man a 10.
Shawshank Redemption introduces us to the idea of innocent persons in prison, but An Innocent Man takes it at least one step further.

Last edited:
Similar to The Green Mile eh Bosphrous? I liked the Shawshank. I remember researching it years ago as I wanted to visit and see the places where it was set however was shocked that it was not set in ME but out West in Oregon or Washington State. It is interesting to see today "The Brewer" where Brooks and Red stayed or "The Food Way". The prison apparently has been torn down but they apparently left the main gateway for tourists because of the film's popularity. I wanted to see the place where the tree and stone wall had been....but all out West...
"Watch yea therefore yea know not when the master of the house cometh..." - Mark 13:35 though similar also appears in Matthew 25:13 ;-)

I thought The Green Mile was unnecessarily dark and mean: A candy-coated excuse for torture, wrongful imprisonment and execution. Typical Stephen King produce.

Last edited:
This, and The Green Mile are on my top list of several, some of which have been mentioned.

Yes, but with a hands-on healer as the main character, the film masquerades as something lofty.
This mystical element device is an expected trope in any Stephen King story. King doesn't do documentaries, he does explorations of human interactions, with a mystical aspect. His depictions of human faults and frailties are usually accurate portrayals.

I like Morgan Freeman narration when he says; The last thing to go through the warden brain, before that 38 slug.....

Back
Top Bottom