Sherwood RX-4508 bluetooth receiver

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by telemike, Mar 25, 2015.

1. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

First of all, thanks very much for those reviews, they were very interesting and informative. I can’t figure out the high price either. One reviewer said it was 459 Euro, perhaps that was really in Dutch Guilders or something like that.

The Amazon price of $150 is right in the ballpark, I think.

Have fun with your 4508!:)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

As for the price, I base my opinion on the fact it's been available at this price point for yrs, and could be purchased locally as well as online at numerous locations at the price. Watts are cheap these days, so 100 watt receivers are cheap, this isn't a bad thing, it is what it is.

3. Gnesen

Gnesen AK Subscriber Subscriber

I recently acquired a used Insignia (Best Buy) NS-STR514 receiver and thought of this thread. After taking a closer look I’m fairly certain the Sherwood and the Insignia are clones with a slightly different layout on the front panel. (EDIT: I see Drumolator mentioned Insignia earlier. EDIT #2: not quite a functional clone, the Insignia doesn’t have a phono section).

The build quality Isn’t bad. A really beefy transformer, a discrete amp section, and nice binding posts. Also note the jumpers galore — never seen so many in any unit. Not sure what that’s all about.

As for sound, it was really thin until I bumped up the bass a bit, but it now actually sounds pretty good.

Here are some nudies.

A71541E7-8D23-42A6-83CF-FFE59DBD2B47.jpeg BA018B1D-129A-4C23-B4E8-8D6E23A9DB80.jpeg 45651C85-C25C-4032-98CD-713BDA4B597C.jpeg 835B71B8-9264-466B-A608-C5DD13C56B3B.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  4. Delmarva

Delmarva Lunatic Member

Yes, with the exception of the Sherwood's phono input, the Insignia's audio input on the faceplate and the slight variation of the controls positioning they are identical units. Clearly from the same manufacturer and Branded under the Sherwood and Insignia names.
    Still very happy with my RX-4508 after nearly two years of service.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Gnesen and yotems like this.
  5. Tom White

Tom White Member

It had been mentioned that when using a phone or tablet to play music by bluetooth a person can use the remote to change tracks. My question is, when playing music over bluetooth, does information about the track show on the display? Artist, album, song title, that sort of thing?

I've wondered the same thing about the display capabilities on the cheap Yamahas, but have never found any information.

Delmarva likes this.
  6. Delmarva

Delmarva Lunatic Member

Yes, the remote can be used to play, pause and skip tracks from the connected device. There is no track info displayed whatsoever, not even a track number. It would be nice if it did do that though.
    The display simply reflects the commands.
    BT PLAY
    BT PAUSE
    BT FSKIP
    BT BSKIP

Tom White likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Tom White

Tom White Member

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Darned shame, but par for the course. You have to give up some things to keep those prices low. Plus, I guess if you are sending from a phone or tablet you can always just glance at those screens for the info, so no big deal.

Delmarva likes this.
  8. Delmarva

Delmarva Lunatic Member

It's really not an inconvenience at all. I'm always bluetoothing from my PC which is in the same room as the receiver so the info is right there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Tom White likes this.