Sherwood S 1000 II

Rybeam

Have a chance to get a Sherwood S 1000 II amp, owner is not sure if it is stereo or not. I cannot find a definative answer on web. Anyone here know ?

Thanks All !

Mono; but a very good to excellent integrated amp. Take it if the price is reasonable.
If you don't want it... :)

A S-1000 II just sold for $149 with a BIN, and its the basic unit. Not the one with the leather case or face like I have. Pure Mono.

I wish I had heard that when I was looking for info on my Father's S-1000...I still have it, missing a push button cap and I am sure needs a freshening...he had it coupled with an EICO HFT-92 since the mid '50s...I am sure it still works but wouldn't want to "fire" it up without a check...wish I knew more about it...:(
Bill

Sherwood S-1000 (unsuffixed) schematic:
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=2401

The S-1000 II may well have miniature, 9 pin outputs (e.g., 7189's or EL84's). I am just not sure. There may be a Sams for the S-1000 II, there's a searchable database at the Sams website. I have it on good authority that many major city libraries have the old Sams folders in their collections, if you don't want to buy one.

They made two versions of the S-1000-II...one with a pair of 6L6's at about 20 watts and another with parallel push pull EL-84's for 36 watts.

I have a SAMS for the 6L6 version and an original Sherwood for the 4 x EL-84 version.

I pick it up on Friday, I'll post the tubes and other observations after I play her for awhile this week end. I guess I should use speakers that are expendable at first, watch for sparks, fire, smoke and funny smells. Owner is fixing up an old house , this amp is in a wall unit with a Technics table and an old Viking reel to reel. I have not seen it, I bought sight unseen.

If it hasn't run for a while, you should bring it up to line voltage slowly with a Variac if at all possible to give the P/S electrolytics a chance to reform. If it's used regularly, that won't be necessary (tho' it couldn't hoit).

The worst problem in old tube gear in my experience is bad coupling capacitors. Unless you know they've been changed, they are well worth changing.

Almost all integrated amps in those days had a mag phono preamp.

Sams online index isn't the greatest - they have a downloadable program that is much better. but it needs 10 megs of disk space.

S-1000 : Sams 345-14
S-1000II : Sams 441-14
S1000II : Sams 390-10 (A: Revised)

Back
Top Bottom