Sherwood S-7200

cooky

Found one on-line serviced and ordered it, probably should of done some research first but looking online it looks like a good enough receiver.

My question is will it drive (and match well with) my more modern Monitor Audio Bronze 2s?

Mixed genre listening, not wanting much volume

A college buddy of mine had one back in the mid 70s and he had them hooked up to a set of Infinity 1001s. It had no problem driving the Infinitys so I'd guess it would work with the Monitor Audio Bronze 2s although I'm know too much about those. Sherwood solid state units are often overlooked but are of fine quality. Provided the one you purchased is indeed serviced and functioning up to spec then you should have great listening times ahead. I was just about to but a S7300 but got bitten by the separates bug then ultimately tubes. Do enjoy your new find. OPG.

Let us know what you think of the 7200 when you get it. The Achilles heel of that era Sherwood is the on/off volume switch. You can easily destroy the little plastic tabs built into the switch. My advice to you is to plug the receiver into a power switch and just use the knob for volume control. Use the power switch to turn the receiver on and off. I think you will like theSherwood. I had and it deove EPI 100s and EPI 180s quite easily. The Sherwoods have a nice sound to them.

the item came in the mail, but a neighbour signed for it and they seem to be out for the night!
thanks for your replies I'm looking forward to listening to it

I also have an S-7200 in addition to an S-7100 and an S-7300. The S-7200 is a solid little receiver that I've used to drive Dynaco A-25s as well as ADS L500s which are 4 ohms. In both cases, the S-7200 was able to drive them to reasonable levels without difficulty.

As was mentioned, the power switch is a weak link and mine was broken when I acquired the receiver. Initially, I bypassed the power switch but recently repaired it with a 3D printed part afrer being inspired by this thread.

I have an S-7100, S-7100A, S-7200 and S-8900. While the S-8900 was made in Chicago (the others, in Japan). Sherwood has a long history of contributing to hi-fi and I love supporting the local brands.

Of all those I own, I always thought the 7200 was the best sounding of the bunch. I gave the higher powered, US made 8900 to a friend who had one back in college.

I think you'll like the 7200. It's a very nice little receiver with a very nice tuner. I love the Sherwood tuners. I could live with my 7200 for years, love it and not have to obsess about improving the sound.

That said, I've moved on to more modern hi-fi. Technology marches on and better stuff is available now but at a $$$ premium (not all of the modern stuff is good, either). I do think it's a great little receiver regardless. YMMV.

I have an S-7100, S-7100A, S-7200 and S-8900. While the S-8900 was made in Chicago (the others, in Japan). Sherwood has a long history of contributing to hi-fi and I love supporting the local brands.

Of all those I own, I always thought the 7200 was the best sounding of the bunch. I gave the higher powered, US made 8900 to a friend who had one back in college.

I think you'll like the 7200. It's a very nice little receiver with a very nice tuner. I love the Sherwood tuners. I could live with my 7200 for years, love it and not have to obsess about improving the sound.

That said, I've moved on to more modern hi-fi. Technology marches on and better stuff is available now but at a $$$ premium (not all of the modern stuff is good, either). I do think it's a great little receiver regardless. YMMV.

agree with above. i really like mine running ads 710s, but like above my main rigs now are seperates and class d (tpa3116, and panny xr57)

it drives them amazingly, loudness off, tone defeated and smooth as silk. Very happy to finally get them !

offtopic: sound is fine with vinyl, but the pc sound card is far too shouty even when it's turned down in windows

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom