Sherwood s-7300 and s-7310 differences

bhs00

other than the Quad being on the 7310, is there really a difference between these two?? Are they the same watts per channel and how many WPC are they? Im looking at buying one of these or getting a Pioneer sx-737. Which is better?

I don't know the 7300 model, but I have the 7200 (about 40 watts per) from the early 70's.

The "legend" of the vintage solid state Sherwood receivers is they were built by the same Sherwood engineers that built the tube receivers of the 60's and they built / tuned them to sound tube-like because that was the sound they knew and appreciated.

Several fans on AK (like me) talk up the early 70's Sherwood receivers because they like the clean / vintage design and think they sound warm (tube-like). I currently have my 7200 matched with some vintage Altec speakers (very efficient) and I love this combo.

Cheers, Snade

I have the 7310 and according to the info I found on it it's rated a 38 watts/channel. It's has a very nice mello sound to it. I can't comment on the other two, but I'm sure someone else will.

I have advent/1's. Will the Sherwood 7310 or 7300 work well this these?

Yes, a vintage Sherwood with over 30 watts per should drive the Advent 1s.

If you had Large Advents and really wanted to rock them out in a bigger room, I think you need over 50 watts per.

But the 1's in a normal sized room, the 7300 should sound good and get loud enough.

Cheers, Snade

I think Sherwood is one of the most under rated lines and for the life of me can not figure out why. Even the tube gear that is so well liked goes for cheap. I have 3 generations of Sherwood SS including the 1st gen ss tuner and amp, and a later gen receiver and an even later receiver. Also, owned a tube system for years. All in all, every one of them present very good to excellent sound and are very well built. I'd pick a Sherwood over a Pioneer for sound but, then again I admit I've never heard a Pioneer I liked so I do have a certain bias.

I'm guessing they're going to sound the same, just because they're rated just about the same in power output and they're both sherwoods.

While I can't answer the original poster's question, I'm another fan of Sherwoods. Most seem to favor the models made in the US given a choice.

I have an S-89000A in service with Genesis Model 10s.

I also have an older S-8800 that a hungry mouse homesteaded in for awhile (really) before someone gave it to me. It's allegedly being restored by a retired elec. eng. who

t a k e s

h i s

t i m e .

A year and a half and counting.

According to the Sherwood print ad the Japanese made 7310 had better components and an improved tuner over the 7300. I had one and thought it sounded fine driving a pair of Advent in-wall speakers at my office. What I didn't care for was the vinyl walnut veneer. Although the faceplate and knobs were similar to the S-XX00 series the cabinet gave it a cheap appearance so I ended up giving it away. I think you made the right choice going with the 7300. The S-7900/S-8900(A) are very well built (USA) and perform quite well. Their TOTL receiver of that era was the SEL-200 which is also in my collection along with the SEL-300 tuner due to their relative rarity.

Sherwood S-7310

Sherwood must be some pretty stand up equipment. Friend of mine always has some electronic Gizmo he wants to get rid of one time he gave me Sherwood S-7310, and a S7310A the 7310a I notices does not turn off, I can turn the Loudness knob counter clockwise the entire distance and it will not turn off. Might be an after market "Jerry Rigged thing" I know its considered a big no no , as far as Radio Amplifiers go, found the deal of a lifetime in a Indonesian Fender Bullet made back in 89-90. so I grabbed that and got that back home and though well , I don't have an AMP for it. Just to see if it would function I took the 1/4 jack cable from the guitar and plugged it into the Tape Dubbing port , at first I said , well it doesn't work. Then when re-visiting it I turned the volume up on the guitar. Works beautifully as a temporary guitar amp. Two reasons I think I am getting away with this, 1) I'm not a jackass that would turn it up the volume on the receiver more then half way 2 ) this is solid state electronics inside, Not toobs, and not Microchips. I have the feeling if I plugged this threw something modern like a Technics SA-R410 with integrated circuits it would probably have a problem with it. So this Sherwood is a workhorse. Being as old as it it sure it has some issues, sometimes the left channel will go out at times, but cycling between all of the options AUX1, AUX2, AM, FM, Phono, and back will usually correct the situation. Has pops and crackles when I turn it off and on .. Should go in and get all the dust out of there, and perhaps take a can of contact cleaner and clean it up a little, but New Amp Fender Bullet 15 DSP is getting here next week so. The Sherwood made it a month of use as a guitar amp..

Have had Sherwood 7310 since original purchase in 1975. In continuous service since then as Stereo and with advent of Stereo VCR, DVD and BluRay attached to television/flat panel.

Repaired on two occasions - faulty volume control in 1979 and one resistor in 1989.

Brochure and manual both indicate 43 Watts/channel @ 8 ohms 1 Khz

Use in DynaQuad mode with four speakers. This appears to be Sherwood low cost answer to Quadraphonic sound which had its origins in same era. Would like to upgrade to 5.1 or 7.1 but reluctant to part with existing since I know this sounds just fine and can rock the room with the best of the disaster movies.

While I can't answer the original poster's question, I'm another fan of Sherwoods. Most seem to favor the models made in the US given a choice.

I have an S-89000A in service with Genesis Model 10s.

I also have an older S-8800 that a hungry mouse homesteaded in for awhile (really) before someone gave it to me. It's allegedly being restored by a retired elec. eng. who

t a k e s

h i s

t i m e .

A year and a half and counting.
:eek2:

I wonder if Robie ever got it fixed, seeing as he posted over 12 years ago...:D

I wonder if Robie ever got it fixed, seeing as he posted over 12 years ago...:D

The guy that was working on it disappeared and I've chalked it up to a bad decision on my part.

I gave away the 8900 to a friend that had one in college but still have a 7200 (my favorite in terms of SQ), a 7100 and a 7100A.

None of the three are presently in use.

Back
Top Bottom