Sherwood S2000 Find

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by wjcjr, May 3, 2017.

1. wjcjr

wjcjr Active Member

Just picked up an original MK Sherwood S2000 Mono FM/AM tuner off that auction site. I'm a tuner collector in general with a particular soft spot for Sherwood tuners. I already had an early S2000, the one with the Maroon/Gold case. The 'new' one was the standard cream/gold Sherwood. The seller listed the tuner 'as is' and being untested. Normally I run not walk away from these listings. This is usually code for 'it doesn't work' but I don't really want to admit this. But, the auction photos showed it was in very good cosmetic shape and this was a variant of that model I didn't already have. So, I bit and sniped the tuner for a very reasonable amount given the caveat in the description.

The tuner arrived yesterday from FedEx. The box was in good shape. But on opening found that seller had packed it in those big air bubble packs, just loosely applied on top of the tuner. On the bottom he had a couple layers of the very small size bubble wrap which was not attached to tuner, just layered on the bottom of the box. Oh, on the outside of the box in small script he had hand written: 'Please do not Drop' which I'm sure make a big impression on the folks at FedEx.

Initial examination revealed no dents or bent knobs or shattered glass faceplate so I started to relax. Then I noticed looking in the rear that I could see the 6X4 rectifier tube was missing. The auction photo showed this tube so I dug to the bottom of the box and found the missing 6X4 with bent pins and a fogged getter, usually a sign of compromise of tube vacuum. Yep, the glass nipple at top of tube was sheared off and I could see into the tube, cool, but scratch this tube. I'm in luck as I have a couple spare 6X4's so I replace and hook tuner up to the variac for a gradual/leisurely power up. I have removed the cover at this point and have visually inspected all the tubes. They all appear to be original with a mix of Sylvanias & RCAs and a Amperex Bugle Boy 6BR5 tuning eye tube. Date codes show 58-22/58-26 for mid 1958 which jives with tuner serial number from 1958.

On variac power up, I notice 1 of the 2 #44 bulbs is out, so I replace that from my stock. I have attached a
    'T' dipole antenna wanting to see if eye tube works. Well, after 2 hours we're at full powerup with no visible issues. The eye tube is working well and opens/closes where I would expect it to as I tune up and down the band. I connect tuner to my stereo system to see what audio I can get. Great news! Immediately on FM I get luscious sound, not even a hint of hum. Apparently the ancient filter cap is still alive. Output level is higher than most of my other tuners so output tube is still cranking. FM sensitivity is very good as I'm pulling in a ton of stations. Granted it's mono, but almost all the stations sound great, even the weaker one's. Ok, that's FM, what about AM. This tuner has a wide/narrow switch for AM. So in wide I go down the band and start picking up stations, great! At 1600 KHz my town has a decent 'oldies' station (no talk radio thank God) that is a good test for AM music. Again, I get this luscious sound. In wide band this tuner is simply great sounding on AM.

AM and FM work and sound great with all original tubes (excepting the 6X4) and no other visible mods/repairs to original components. Not bad for a 58-59 year old tuner (finally something just barely older than me). Which brings me to the big point of this long winded post. I'm not really surprised by this Sherwood's performance. I have a fair number of Sherwood tube tuners and without exception, all arrived with a majority of original tubes still working. These tuners are easy on tubes (and other components) which speaks to the quality of engineering that went into their design. If you are thinking of dipping your feet into the tube tuner world, I can highly recommend starting with a Sherwood.

malden likes this.
  2. amptramp

amptramp Active Member

I second that. I picked up a Sherwood 2100II tuner for the sparrow feed price of $20 at the London Vintage Radio Club (London, ON Canada, not England) a few years back and the sound and reception quality was better than the FM tuner section of the H. H. Scott 340B receiver I was using as an amplifier. Most tubes are original and this one has the onboard stereo decoder. It outperforms my Fisher KM-60 as well which I got at auction (real auction, not an auction site) for $22.50.