Sherwood S4400 & S360 recap questions

jebbo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all, I am going to attempt to update my Sherwood amplifiers,starting with the PS can caps and the bias supply can cap and selenium diodes. I was going to try and load pics of the schematics with circles and arrows of spots I questions on but got a new printer/scanner and haven't figured out how to use it yet. So question 1 the S360 has a single selenium diode 1ma -20v on the bias supply (I think), what should I use to replace that? Question 2 the S4400 has two selenium diodes, on one leg 160ma -23v bias supply, the other leg -23v goes to heater supplies of V1 and V2. What should I replace these with? Question 3 one value in the can is 5uf 350v the closest I can find is 4.7 350v or 6.8 450v it goes to screen grid on pentode section of 7199. Thank you for any advice you can give. Oh I will have to restuff the existing cans there is no room under chassis.

A 1N400x diode will do for the selenium rectifiers, but you may need to add some resistance in there to bring voltages back down. There is less drop across a silicon rectifier.

4.7uf would be the usual closest replacement for a 5uf. You can probably bump the voltage if you'd like, depending how close to the rating it actually runs.

Sherwoods are indeed snug. The S4400/S360 seems to be a bit of a rare combo. You see the S4400 show up for sale once in a while but the S360 very seldom appears. Kind of a neat setup really, stereo preamp with a mono power amp and an outboard mono amplifier to complete the stereo setup. I'm a bit curious what their marketing idea was for that one.

Thanks gadget, yeah it's an odd one but man it sounds so good! I got it from drknstrmyknight and I think in one of his post it had the Sherwood ad from the late 50's. I'll see if I can find it.

. . . The S4400/S360 seems to be a bit of a rare combo. You see the S4400 show up for sale once in a while but the S360 very seldom appears. Kind of a neat setup really, stereo preamp with a mono power amp and an outboard mono amplifier to complete the stereo setup. I'm a bit curious what their marketing idea was for that one.

Old thread, I know, but I think the question is worth answering.

It provided consumers a "building block" approach to going stereo. Stereo reproduction was hotly debated. The benefits of soundstage and imaging were not easy to achieve, and the trade-off entailed in multiple sources was loss of resolution everywhere but the sweet spot. These issues are still present, of course. Many devotees of high fidelity wanted nothing to do with it, so it was a debate whether it was desirable and whether it would ever be necessary to undertake the additional expense to go that route. Record companies sold both mono and stereo versions of their LP's for more than ten years. The equipment manufacturers were all for it, naturally, so they devised these pieces to make it possible for people buying new equipment to avoid obsolescence should stereo really take off. Hi Fi magazines from the mid/late '50's have ads for many similar curious bits of gear to help with the transition. The Sherwood S4400 is one of them. You could buy a mono integrated to drive your one speaker, whether new or one you already had, and down the line, should you want to, you only needed to add a second power amp and speaker to go stereo. That was the idea.

Last edited:
On rereading it seems worth mentioning that this particular piece would have made t possible to use an already owned power amp to complete a stereo amplification setup, possibly to be followed later with the purchase of a matching S360.

Back
Top Bottom