Sherwood S5000II happiness

boris_CH

Hey folks,

just finished my Sherwood S5000II tupe amp. What a lovely sound! Enjoy it much better compared to the Thorens AZ25 I got as well.
IMG_6219 (Custom).JPG IMG_6220 (Custom).JPG
However, the Sherwood came in pretty aweful cosmetic condition. Covered inside with mold all-over and therefore smelling like... Cleaned the baby on the outside and had some issues with the front plate, because the color and painting got away even with water. Then I looked at the inside and cleaned every single cable trying to not unsolder too much to have it a bit easier. Put the pieces back together, polished a bit and connected the Klipsch Heresys... What a sound!!!

Unfortunately after one hour one of the old aluminium capacitos died - that bad boy
IMG_6227 (Custom).JPG
but that will be fixed pretty soon.

Great amp!

My friend has one and it's better than his Fishers & Scott's... Very impressive.... and now the prices are more than ever.....

The S5000II is the sleeper of all sleepers in this hobby. Something magical about the 7868s.

Lost mine, and the matching S2100II tuner, in the divorce.

Boris. Very well cleaned up unit. How did you clean each cable ( I assume wire). What kinda solvent you used on the chassis. They sparkle. I have a Sherwood S5000 project waiting for me to clean it up.

Wow! That is clean, the faceplate is pristine too. Awaiting to restore my (newly acquired) Sherwood S7700 III.

Thanks guys!

The S5000II is the sleeper of all sleepers in this hobby. Something magical about the 7868s.

Lost mine, and the matching S2100II tuner, in the divorce.

Ouch... :(

Boris. Very well cleaned up unit. How did you clean each cable ( I assume wire). What kinda solvent you used on the chassis. They sparkle. I have a Sherwood S5000 project waiting for me to clean it up.

Wire, indeed. I used a soft vingar/water solution to get rid of the mold. The chassis was first cleaned with soap and water and the polishing was made with the swiss version of Nevrdull which is called Metarex.

I have the fairly similar S-5500-II, its a nice amp.

If you have it, I'd put the chimney back over the tubes too. It will help keep the transformers cool, and pull heat from under the chassis as well.

I have a fully restored S-5000. And yes it is one beautiful little amp. I'm amazed EVERY time I put it back in the lineup. It's not the last word in detail or imaging but wow - is that little amp musical and sweet sounding.

Replaced the bad capacitor and still - wow - incredible sound...!
Nice stuffing job :). Most people saw them in half and wrap with silver tape. I have an S5000II just like yours with 7868's. I took the front panel off it was so dirty when I got it. Mine still has some slight finger stains around the loudness knob that would not come out of the panel and the pilot light jewels are chipped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom