1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sherwood score and Dynaco SCA-35 vs Sherwood S5500IV

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by BSpaaudio, Oct 13, 2018.

1. BSpaaudio

BSpaaudio Active Member

So I scored three Sherwood pieces for $20.00 each. I've sold off the Sherwood S-1000 II amp and S-2000 tuner. But I may keep the S-5500IV amp.

My question is, which amp has the better phono section, the Dynaco or the S5500IV?

The problem with the S5500IV is that I suspect the volume on/off switch is shot which is why a previous owner drilled a hole in the face plate and installed a on/off push button. If I decide to revive the Sherwood I'll want to find a new face plate and volume on/off switch? What is the likely-hood of finding those parts, short of buying a second amp for parts?

Thanks Sherwood.jpg Sherwood S5500IV (2) (1).jpg Sherwood S5500IV (2) (2).jpg Sherwood S5500IV (2).jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

Sherwood from my reading the forums over several years, as Dynaco skimped in that area as it was a lower cost unit. The output transformers are nice though! Sherwood would have double the power output also with the bigger 7868 output tubes.

3. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The 80 watt Sherwood integrated amplifiers are very nice. May take a while to find a donor with a decent face but you can listen to it while searching. I've never owned a SCA-35, but with half the power of the Sherwood, and knowing the quality of Sherwood pieces I'd keep the S5500IV for overall sound. As far as the phono section goes you need to hear from others who have owned the Dynaco.

4. EastPoint

EastPoint Factory Code No. 4200 Subscriber

You can buy a new complete volume control with power switch for the Sherwood on eBay, or possibly track down a replacement power switch.

5. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I get that things break and sometimes a fix must be improvised, but why on earth do people make such ugly repairs? Would it have been that big a deal to lose the headphone socket or one of those slide switches that nobody ever uses to cleanly install a power switch? Ugh.

Anyway, honestly they're both probably quite decent. If the SCA-35 uses the same phono section that the PAS does (honestly don't know this, but it would make sense if it did) the response should be very accurate. The PAS phono stage at least has been modeled and real-world tested to be a very close match to ideal RIAA, much as they claimed it was back in the 1960s. Not sure I've seen similar test data for a Sherwood, and I've never tested one myself but they do have a good sounding phono stage as long as you have decent tubes in there. Doesn't need to be anything special, but they can't be weak and it doesn't like a 5751 either.

GuyNoir likes this.
  6. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

+1,,, I've removed 2 prong AC outlets on the back of amps to add a switch,,, they are usually on the back, and are near AC line in, so would not move a hum source to a sensitive location... No need to ruin the face plate...
    Hell, a power strip would work with no damage!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. GuyNoir

GuyNoir VT Neophyte

Oh, the humanity and butchery. :no:

8. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

9. GuyNoir

GuyNoir VT Neophyte