Shibata (S70EX4) recommendation for Goldring/Excel ES-70S Cartridge

Not a bad price for the SAS. Now how do we import some?

I just sent them an email asking that very question. I honestly don't think we'll be able to do it and I don't expect that we'll be able to do it. I also don't expect an answer any time soon. This appears on the "Contact Us" page:

Due to various circumstances of our company,
the replies to the inquiry may be delayed for the time being.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your understanding.

John

Not a bad price for the SAS. Now how do we import some?

The ones on the Japan Domestic product site will probably not be sold outside the country.

It has several layers of domestic taxes build into the price - "not for export" product stream.

It would be easier to have some one in Japan buy it and then send it to you. :music:

The ones on the Japan Domestic product site will probably not be sold outside the country.

It has several layers of domestic taxes build into the price - "not for export" product stream.

It would be easier to have some one in Japan buy it and then send it to you. :music:

I could probably make that happen.

I just received a reply from JICO. It wasn't exactly an answer to my question but it was nevertheless interesting.

Dear John-san,

Thank you for inquiry.

SAS stylus is available on JICO Web Shop for domestic Japanese customers, But it's not available for on JICO Web Shop for overseas customers as you said
Because we receive so many SAS orders for overseas customers.
i
We produce SAS stylus now, however because we have so many orders of SAS, neoSAS/S and neoSAS/R stylus, We have temporary changed all the SAS, neoSAS/S and neoSAS/R display hide on JICO Web Shop for overseas customers. The specific date to take order for SAS again is undecided. We apologize for any inconvenience we caused. Please wait a little while for new information about SAS stylus.

Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Sayuri Shiraishi / JICO

John

I think my white noise LP is bandwidth limited, so it's usefulness in determining the HF response is limited.

You guys think the massive bump in the LF is my phono stage or something else going on? It looks super contoured so it makes me think it's "artificial" in some way. It's too perfect.

Here's the FFT's I generated:
Log freq axis:
NQAIOI2.png

Linear Freq axis:
ghxFfzr.png

Now you have something that looks like an Audio-Technica moving coil job, which should buck you up enormously!
As I may have mentioned, the same thing happened to me. The metal shank, the part that holds the cantilever and bearing, should be flush with the square opening that leads immediately inside the cartridge body, but if it's off a mm or so, no harm will come. In this photo of mine after the grip broke off, you see the shank has been pulled out until it's roughly flush with the front edge of the body, but it still sounded just fine. I pushed it back in afterward and thought I heard a little more treble, but couldn't be certain.
View attachment 1129968 View attachment 1129969

LOL! :rflmao:

When you mean replica, do you mean a fake/copy Astatic needle? If so, looks real to me.

When you mean replica, do you mean a fake/copy Astatic needle? If so, looks real to me.
I always thought that the original needles from the manufacturers were packed in the red boxes of Astatic, and the replicas were packed in white ones. That's why I had a question voiced earlier. Is the excel ES-70-EX4 needle original by e-bay link?

I still don't understand what you mean by replicas.

But, I've seen both the red and white packaging and never assumed they were different. So, the needle does look like an Astatic needle.

I still don't understand what you mean by replicas.
But, I've seen both the red and white packaging and never assumed they were different. So, the needle does look like an Astatic needle.
As far as I know, Astatic did not produce needles, but only packed them in its boxes. In red - the original needles of Shure, Empire, ADC and so on, and in white they packed not original needles, possibly of Japanese assembly, for example, Jico or Nagaoka.

Hi! Have just recently acquired an ES 70 F, and while I like its character, it does have a bit of a narrow soundstage. Especially if I’m comparing it to my Denon DL-110 (which is very wide but I find it too cold and lacking a little body), but also to my cheap aftermarket 2000 stylus on a Empire 66 E/X body. Even my JICO stylus for an Ortofon F15 sounds just a tad wider...

Will an EX4 or EX stylus be much wider or still sound a little closed in?

Noted, my F stylus isn’t burned in, only played a few hours, but I’m guessing the soundstage won’t be very affected by it. Or?

Maybe I should find an original stylus for the Empire instead? Easier said than done, but...

(Running a Luxman PD282, medium mass arm, through a Luxman R 1040.)

Hi! Have just recently acquired an ES 70 F, and while I like its character, it does have a bit of a narrow soundstage. Especially if I’m comparing it to my Denon DL-110 (which is very wide but I find it too cold and lacking a little body), but also to my cheap aftermarket 2000 stylus on a Empire 66 E/X body. Even my JICO stylus for an Ortofon F15 sounds just a tad wider...

Will an EX4 or EX stylus be much wider or still sound a little closed in?

Noted, my F stylus isn’t burned in, only played a few hours, but I’m guessing the soundstage won’t be very affected by it. Or?

Maybe I should find an original stylus for the Empire instead? Easier said than done, but...

(Running a Luxman PD282, medium mass arm, through a Luxman R 1040.)

The EX4 has a very low inductance (A good thing! As in, LOMC-style good quality!), so I imagine it will have many aspects that are much better that the 70F.

Thanks for the reply! @doctor fuse Yes, I guess it should. The difference in channel separation (according to the specs) is only 5 dB, but I guess that refers more to cross-channel bleeding and such, not the actual "width" of the soundstage. :)

Another question: has anyone tried the Astatic quads that are available from sellers on the auction site?

Back
Top Bottom