shipping a big ceramic casserole and its lid

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by malvo, Mar 21, 2018.

1. malvo

malvo AK Subscriber Subscriber

So I have a big Le Creuset ceramic baking dish with lid that needs to go from the east coast to the west. It's sturdy, but it's also big and ceramic--roughly 17" x 13", quite the whale. What are best practices here to minimize the chance that this thing turns into gravel on the way? In particular, how do I deal with the lid? Any hot ideas for me? I was thinking styrofoam lined box and lots of bubble wrap, lid wrapped individually of course...a puzzle. Pics below. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Knucklehead

Knucklehead The Village Idiot Subscriber

I think I would find a sturdy box that this would sit in tightly. And an outer box with at least 3" clearance on all sides and pour in lots of packing peanuts. Make sure there are peanuts under the inner box as well. The inner box will need to surrounded on all sides with 3" or more with peanuts. Pack em in tight! This will help keep the inner box from contacting any sides of the outer box. Thats where the damage will come from. The lid could also be put in a box and placed on top of the first box, then taped together. Packing peanuts work for items that aren't real heavy. Heavy items will beat the hell out of the peanuts, this compresses them and reduces the cushioning effect. That dish looks like more bulk than heavy. Packing peanuts should work well but make sure you compress them into the box - that will help keep them puffed up so they don't lose their cushioning effect.

3. malvo

malvo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm glad to hear this. It's more or less the method I ended up using, although I subbed in a mish-mash of old bubble wrap and tightly wadded newspaper between the inner and outer boxes. It was not my most lucrative ebay sale, but it was up there with most annoying to pack.