Shipping a DVD deck with a disk left inside

eizner23

I sold a Sony xav-63 double-din single disk DVD head deck unit on eBay. The buyer messaged me saying it doesn't read any disks. No carton damage and it had bubble packets padding the box. He said there was a CD in the unit. I must have inadvertently left a disk in the unit. Could it be possible the optics were damage from the disk left inside during USPS delivery?

Very possible. I had a Sony cd player shipped with a cd left in and it destroyed a rare KSS-272 laser. :( Some optical drives need to be secured for shipping, however I am not familiar with your particular unit.

I would have thought leaving a disc inside would be better for transport? I bought a DVD player, and when it arrived the magnet clamping piece had broken loose and was rattling around inside. I ended up trashing the unit.

Lee.

I'd not think just a disk being in the unit would damage it in shipping, but I can't say for sure. As vincei mentioned though, some units have transport locks that are supposed to be engaged before shipping.

To leesonics point, I don't recall buying a new CD, DVD, or BD player that had a disk in the tray when new out of the box. If that was a drive saver you'd think the mfg would put in a some sort of dummy disc. Maybe some companies do and it's just I haven't seen one of those brands. :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom