Shipping a McIntosh amp in Styrofoam

Yes, those heavy power amps are a bear to properly pack for safe transit.

I had a MC275 and MC2205 shipped all the way from Caracas, Venezuela to San Diego, CA.

I went to the local "Pakmail" and had them shipped in huge boxes, the inner one surrounded by tons of styrofoam, peanuts and what have you.

The unit themselvs were packed with several layers of bubble wrap. The MC2205 was not crated with wood, however. But both made it here in perfect order. The MC2205's package was even inspected by US Customs. Fortunately, they repacked it fine.

Shipping was two day Fedex air.

Unforseeable circumstances lead me to sell my MC2205. The MC275 was "lost" by Fedex ground a year later (on a trip from California to Florida).

I wish I still had them :sigh:

Regards,
crooner

And speaking of that damaged MC2125 on eBay...

Back in 1999, I bought a MR78 on eBay for around $800. It was in mint condition with case. They shipped it the same way as that particular MC2125, with panlocs installed and inside the walnut case.

They only used a single layer of styrofoam on the box. Single box. Not even bubble wrap!

My heart was pounding fast when the unit arrived at my door step. The UPS guy didn't drop the box (thank God!). This was travelling from Seattle to San Diego.

The seller used a box for a A/V receiver. Amazingly, the unit arrived intact. I just couldn't believe my eyes!!!

My guess is that the markings on the box (stating it was a stereo of some sorts), saved it from destruction.

UPS for the most part handle packages roughly. But I was very lucky that day!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom