Shipping Beam Bottles

Fat Point Ja

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
They have got to go.

I'm thinking that to ship that I will wrap them with several layers of plastic wrap. Then spray a layer of expanding foam in a box, lay the bottle (with the cap removed and wrapped separately) then finish filling the box with more spray foam. Maybe double box after that.

Your thoughts.

Sounds like you have a plan. I'd use bubble wrap around it. If you have spray foam that's cool.

I've shipped crystal stemware in PVC plastic pipe of the appropriate size. End caps fastened with duct tape. I laid one set on the basement floor, jumped on it, and almost killed myself. The pipe doesn't give. If you need larger than 4", there is 6" sewer, and from there you go to blue water main pipe. Scraps of that come from cutoffs at any of our ever-present road construction sites. I'm told the water pipe makes a dandy enclosure for an under-the-sofa sub, too.

I've shipped bottles if wine by wrapping tightly in several layers of bubble, then immobilize them in a box lined with Styrofoam, more bubble wrap, or other noncompressible stuff.

We used to get toner cartridges for the office printer in a long box perfectly sized for this, so I've shipped (and hauled by suitcase) a lot of booze in those too.

Your plan is fine but do a test on something non valuable using the spray foam technique. That stuff can be a real mess. I'd likely just use bubble wrap and packing paper. I've shipped a LOT of decanters, vases, crystal, etc. through USPS without problem. Make sure they are empty.

I have shipped a bunch of these including the huge Spirit of '76 plane. Big oversized box with lots of newspaper tightly packed to immobilize. The decanters themselves I wrap in bubblewrap first

Back
Top Bottom