Shipping Canada to US - What's Involved?

Todd Dodds

I'm clueless about Canada to US, and US to Canada shipping, duties, taxes etc.

I'm looking at an amp on Canuck Audio Mart in Ottawa, and the seller says he'll ship "...at great expense to buyer". His selling price is in line with what I'd expect to pay, but I'm wondering how bad all the various duties, etc will be? And I guess freight rate on UPS, Fedex etc will be nuts going across the border?

Is there a shipping calculator anywhere that takes into account all the applicable fees?

And for those of you with experience, would the same package going to/from the same addresses cost the same going both ways? That is, is it cheaper to import from Canada, or export to Canada?

I recently purchased a two box preamp from a seller in Canada. Shipping was somewhat pricey, but was worthwhile due to the exchange rate. This was pre tariffs, mind you.
The boxes were shipped via UPS. I was not charged duty, but each package was subject to a "brokerage charge" of $21.23 USD, so I paid an additional $42.46.
I'm not sure if this is a flat fee based on package size, or if they charge based on purchase, or shipping, price.

Yah ... hidden costs that you'll never know about until they deliver the package can get ya.

I go with Canada Post Express. Reciprocal agreement with USPS, includes insurance, and bypasses customs so no fees there.

Back
Top Bottom