Shipping Tube Tester

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by Snow, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

How would you go about shipping a suitcase style tube tester like the Hickok 752A just as it is or in a box with padding etc?

1081413-hickok-752-tube-tester-mint.jpg

Regards Snow

Please register to disable this ad.

2. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Box with some padding for cushion and to protect the case some.
    Keeps the carton wear off it.
    Cardboard rubbing is abrasive.
    The vibration in shipping causes the rubbing.

3. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had a similar tester shipped to me once, and in transit, it must have been dropped upside down. The panel has the entire works on its back side and it's heavy. The small screws holding the main panel to the wood case pulled out and that had to be repaired. Luckily no serious damage, but it could have been catastrophic. So you might want to insert some packing between the lid and the control panel to keep everything tight. And if there's any doubt about the latch or hinges, wrap the whole thing tightly in something like bubble wrap so the lid can't separate in transit.

Snow likes this.
  4. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Treat it like a tube amp & it should arrive OK:)

Snow likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks everyone for your advice, the reason I asked is I thought it might be easier for the handlers if the handle was exposed and also they could see what it was and perhaps not toss it around like a box. I haven't decided to sell it yet but thought I would see what others thought before I did if I do sell it I will list in BT.

Regards Snow

6. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would not leave any part of it exposed to the gorillas under any circumstances. Also, just seeing the handle gives no information about what it actually is. Everyone will think it's a crappy old piece of luggage or a portable typewriter. Most people don't know what a tube is, much less a portable tester.

Double box that sucker and prepare it for the apocalypse. :thumbsup:

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

if anything, add handholds to the side, and put labels indicating such on top in bright yellow,
    most folks will see and use the handholds, easier on the hands, and less likely to use
    box as fast ball pitching to some .400 hitter.

bubble everything. and again, lots of gorillas between you and buyer.