1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Shominy's Adventuring Shenanigans

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Shominy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. After reading through @SuperjazzyJa 's 'On The Road' thread, and being inspired by it, I thought that I maybe could pull off an adventuring thread on the stuff that I have done, am doing, am planning to do, or are pipe dreaming about to be fulfilled sometime off in the future. I'd like to think that it can be inspirational for some, interesting to others, and some degree of motivation for a few.

I'll begin with one that I recently posted;

[​IMG]
    Nikki and I in a sunset skydive above the Shenandoah Valley. This image is the one that describes the incredible experience the best. Skydiving at sunset is a source - made all the better with only you and a coupled spirit in the cosmic panoply. It'll change your life, man.

I have also done a solo dive under full moonlight (another cosmic experience!), one through a cloud deck, and around towering cumulonimbus where you can see your fall as the perspective of the cloud changes because your vantage point is changing at 120mph downward.

Dean

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Hyperion, Te-Te, captouch and 3 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Looks like a fun thing to do & that setting is very nice!

Rome

Shominy likes this.
  3. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

I met you some 387654 times in this forum and always asked myself which is your first name. Now I now it. :)

Breathtaking picture. It makes me almost speechless (almost... since I am "Plappermaul" Chris ;) ).

I feel giddy even if I stand on a sheet of paper...:oops:

Te-Te, Shominy and ETLS like this.
  4. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Stack those sheets brother, life is meant to be more than one sheet at a time!

5. This is a moonlight dive- my good acquaintance and one-time dive partner, Adam Elkin.
    Unfortunately, I have no such personal video as my one dive was a solo. If you think that a sunset dive is life-changing, this is an order of magnitude more so! It is tingling, terrifying at first, exhilarating, and releasing all at once.

Te-Te and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  6. The wilderness is healing, a therapy for the soul.
    - Nicholas Kristof

7. SuperjazzyJa

SuperjazzyJa 18 Wheel Member

I'm glad you are posting your adventures and glad to have prompted you in so doing. Sky diving looks like fun. I just don't want to break bones at my age.

Dave1384, Te-Te and Shominy like this.
  8. Gnesen

Gnesen AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a friend that I go hiking with that likes to say: “Sights like these are reserved for those who are willing to suffer to see them.” Or something to that effect. The same goes for the risk the OP takes on the skydives. Looking forward to more posts.

ETLS, SuperjazzyJa and Shominy like this.
  9. If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine.
    - Paulo Coelho

Dave1384 likes this.
  10. Beemerdoc

Beemerdoc Grumpy Old Fart Subscriber

Dean,

That is a most beautiful picture, but I am having a hard time understanding why you would get out of a perfectly good airplane in flight.

This from an old fart with his feet glued to terra firma. :confused:

Thomas

Shominy and SuperjazzyJa like this.
  11. Good night, Algonquin Provincial Park.

800x547.jpg
    Nikon D7000, Sigma 10-20mm, ISO 200

On this excursion, I engaged into a 13-day kayaking, portaging and camping trip into Algonquin Provincial Park in Sept 2017- after the visitor mass had somewhat subsided. My goal was to explore the mid and northern areas of this Park. Campsites are by reservation only in the backcountry and from Sept-April, one may not see another person for days when deep in the backcountry, which was the case for me on this trip. Moose and trout (and insects!) were my day companions, Loons my evening and early morning ones. This is the degree of solitude that freshens my soul.

After a somewhat grueling time on this day (I fell, turned my ankle, and was harassed by insects all day), I settled into this scene on Little Crow Lake as the day closed.

12. SuperjazzyJa

SuperjazzyJa 18 Wheel Member

Hope your ankle heals quickly.

13. This was last year, so it is healed from that incident. It is my weak link though, as it has been sprained 10's of times since the initial one in 11th grade those many years ago.

14. Some days I feel like quitting and going home.
    Then breathtaking moments like these remind me that I'm already home.

IMG_1349.JPG

From my 2014 Rainier wilderness 100mi. circumnavigation and summiting trip. The weather, spectacular much of the time (April). Cloud envelopment, then clearing, then envelopment again- some of the most mystical times of my life. This image taken in the vicinity of the Nisqually Glacier.

Eye on the prize. After my Wonderland Trail circumnav., I set vertical and headed into the sky. The summit peeks through that mysterious weather from 2mi. vertically above. (Even above the open spot in the center of the image- look carefully).
    IMG_1357.JPG

15. A POV of a very satisfying kayaking trip to the upper Adirondacks, in the Lake Kushaqua region. This was a five day'er with night temps sometimes into the 20's (in early Sept.). The weather was calm, the portaging pleasant, the camping great, the night sky black velvet, and the company effervescent (as always).

This was an minimalist trip- ultralight small packs, tarp tenting, food rationing, and our ultralight sleeping bags.

Kayak lake.jpeg

Te-Te, Hyperion and rogerfederer like this.
  16. Umm. No.

Though I am a whitewater enthusiast, this would have destroyed the kayaks... so it's portaging time and looking back upstream (from the Lake Kushaqua trip.) This carry was the better part of a mile. Nikki bounded around on those rocks as any wilderness guy might. She is so amazing!

Me? I had one foot dunk in the water. Nikki 1 : Dean 0.

The Adirondacks are as old as they are interesting. They can be remote (in the High Peaks Wilderness), accessible (Lake Placid/Saranac Lake), or historic (the towns of Star and Cranberry Lake). Loon Lake continues to pull at my soul !

Rapids NY.jpg

Te-Te, Hyperion and holyman772 like this.

17. A poor image taken from a moving kayak on a moving bird. I LOVE LOONS!!
    Loon.jpg

The tarp tent site at Clear Pond, NY. We found a nice pine stand and in the absence of sleeping pads, pine needles work very well !

This night was rather exciting as we were visited by a pair of black bears after midnight. They were just curious, no food as we hung it all away from the campsite. Nevertheless...
    tarp purple.jpg

I was greeted in the morning with this scene as I set off on a no-trail run before breakfast.
    morning_clear_pond.jpg

18. On my car as inspiration.
    20180826_191236.jpg

I reached a 2018 milestone this morning on the AT and side trails. Goals. I'm looking for 1500 mi by year's end.
    20180826_175858.jpg

Te-Te and rogerfederer like this.
  19. Later today...

I passed through this always interesting area- an evergreen stand on the right, deciduous on the left. It looks amazing in the fall.
    20180826_181155.jpg

I stopped by a small cairn that I set up about 100' off-trail so it would not get disturbed. It was to honor a meeting, and the scratches in the rock still show after 3-1/2 years. She has never seen it.
    20180826_182903.jpg

And there will always be surprises in the wilds.
    20180826_183442.jpg

I ran the difficult, up- and down-graded middle half of my 12 miler today. As another of my car's window stickers says...
    20180826_191218.jpg

20. "I don't have a lot of pressure on myself to be successful. I'm more of an artist. I just try to make myself more a part of the most beautiful painting as possible. And enjoy it."

Dean Potter
    ---------------------------------
    This, as I begin preps for my second Rainier ascent in late September. It's one of the best canvasses in CONUS. This time, I am taking the Liberty Ridge route along with two experienced climbing acquaintances I met on summitpost.

Liberty Ridge is unpredictable, frequented by rapidly changing weather, and has seen many deaths. On a high note, it is in Sierra Club's Fifty Classic Climbs Of North America.

I am stoked !

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Te-Te and John James like this.