1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Shominy's Adventuring Shenanigans

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Shominy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

So many people condemn me for risk taking, but I find it sort of hypocritical because everybody takes risks. Even the absence of activity could be viewed as a risk. If you sit on the sofa for your entire life, you're running a higher risk of getting heart disease and cancer. Besides, without risk are you living, feeling connected?

an amalgamation from myself and Alex Honnold

SuperjazzyJa likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

Here we are, deep in the VT wilderness on the AT, from six weeks ago. I hope that YOU were having a similarly great time then too!

DnN AT Tennessee.png

This was a week long trek, a speed hike to see what we were made of. Just over 200 miles in just under 7 days.

Heh. I am not usually bearded, despite what images you've seen.

SuperjazzyJa, Hyperion, Te-Te and 3 others like this.
  3. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Stunningly beautiful photos!

SuperjazzyJa likes this.
  4. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

Thank you.

Te-Te and Alobar like this.
  5. Alobar

I'm going to follow this thread. I don't get out away from my remoteness and isolation very much (although there seems to be a LOT I still haven't seen in my own backyard) and I know there is a whole world of beauty that is off the beaten path.
    Here's to many more adventures! :beerchug:

SuperjazzyJa and Shominy like this.
  6. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

Some wisdom received from a CDT (Continental Divide Trail) traveler several years back when we crossed on it. He was a very interesting, haggard-looking 30-something who stepped out of 1967's San Fran.

Of all the paths you take, make sure a few of them are dirt. - David? (I think his name was David)

7. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

I will be offline and immersed in one week as I head to Rainier for a second summiting, this time on the challenging and sometimes deadly Liberty Ridge route.

Alas, Nikki is involved in her senior year now and cannot be along. But one of her best friends, Trisha is coming with me (but not climbing). Should be interesting.

I am very much looking forward to this climb with two online acquaintance climbers from summitpost. They seem cool, quick-witted, and are climbing vets, though not on this route. The three of us hope to be standing on the caldera rim by sunrise on the 28th.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Te-Te and Alobar like this.
  8. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

Far greater risk driving to/from work daily on the roadways of the world. You're gettin' along fine IMO Mr S.

SuperjazzyJa, Te-Te and Shominy like this.
  9. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

The REAL question is, "Which Rainier will we get?"

Summit above the clouds...
    [​IMG]

... or a socked-in summit?
    [​IMG]

Well, both have their own, very different appeals to me. I like the drama of hard conditions in mountaineering. I also want to look forward to a spectacular sunrise from above 14,400 ft- something I witnessed from >20K on Denali.

Only the mountain knows.

10. Beemerdoc

Beemerdoc Grumpy Old Fart Subscriber

Um, you do know that is a live volcano yes??!!
    Asleep maybe, but totally alive. :eek:

Dave1384 likes this.
  11. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

Sure do! All the more exciting for an adventurer. I've summited before, on the less technical Fuhrer Finger route after a circumnavigation of the mountain.

Te-Te and Beemerdoc like this.

12. Alobar

You could tell that to about 5 million people living near its potential destruction radius. .

Beemerdoc likes this.
  13. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

From my previous solo Rainier climb. Climbing and in search of a place to settle for the night, I came across these guys already set up. Looking east at sunset as Rainier's significant shadow and unmatched prominence cuts through the nascent twilight wedge. This photo was at taken at 13,500 ft. I planted in with them for the night. They were cool, and we were all spent. We enjoyed the night blackness (the early crescent moon sliver set quickly) and starry evening, the absence of modern humanity noise- just the wind, snowpack (many distinct sounds!), and our getting to know one another over our individual stoves, dehydrated food packs, and headlamps when needed. Existence is just plain clearer in places like this.

We parted in the morning, as they were headed on a different route to the summit.

The twilight wedge is formed when the sun drops below the horizon and Earth's shadow is projected into the atmosphere and appears as a dark gray-blue band extending from the horizon line, upward to the peachy/orange layer above it. As the sun dips further below the horizon, the twilight wedge moves higher and higher until both you and the atmosphere around you are in Earth's shadow. You can see it any place you have a low horizon and is easiest observed in the summer months when the sun slides to and below the horizon on a steep angle.

Rainier west sunset.jpg

Hyperion, Te-Te, Alobar and 1 other person like this.
  14. roger2

roger2 . Subscriber

What are you using to take these pics?

15. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

On the somewhat infrequent times that I take it, a D7000.

Otherwise, it is on Nikki's phone or sent to me by someone who did have a camera with them.

Te-Te likes this.
  16. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

OK, doods. My final few posts today before I head to the airport to catch a flight to SeaTac this afternoon. I am all but off of electronics until the 1st. It's good for the soul- more people ought to detox too.

I am stoked. Trish is looking forward to the trip- she grew up there but has no ties in the area any more, and Nikki is a bit disheartened to not be going and was/is conflicted about not being on the climb party. But, school and all, ya know?. My partners, Mark and Finn are set to meet me at SeaTac. Jeezus. I am 44 and doing this??

Yes.

I miss the high snowfields that live in the mountains and it'll be nice to be on them again. Here in south central PA, there is not a whole lot of that going on.
    Rainier snowfield.jpg

I expect that there will be ice climbing- more this time than last. This one of me, from my prior trip, taken by Dask (just the coolest name in history!) who I met at the base of this ice wall just 10mins before...
    Ice climb.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

17. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

18. Beemerdoc

Just wow.
    Have a great trip and be safe up there.
    We'll look forward to stories and pics when you get back!
    :rockon:

Shominy likes this.
  19. Shominy

Shominy Lunatic Member

Thanks.
    One of the quotes that is deep within me.

"“Everyone on earth is afraid of losing his/her life, and only a few are afraid of losing their time.”
    ― Sunday Adelaja, How To Become Great Through Time Conversion: Are you wasting time, spending time or investing time?

Dave1384, Te-Te and Beemerdoc like this.
  20. Beemerdoc

Wise words, to be sure.
    As I approach 66, I am reminded often how important time is, and how little I have left.
    Today, I am investing time with my special needs son, Matt. We are going to have a "Boys Day", just he and I.
    My nickname for him is "My Little Humbler". He is 30 going on 12, and has such a perception of life that we all could take a lesson from.

Sandstrom and John James like this.