1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Shominy's Adventuring Shenanigans

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Shominy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. ... and....

BACK.

The weather was unusually cooperartive with sun and 10-20 mph winds for the two days on the stratovolcano. We set upward at 5AM and made summit in <11hrs so decided to pitch and spend the night at 14,411 MSL. Again, spectacularly clean sunset, an incredibly black velvet sky that night, blending to a great sunrise on the 29th. 8.5hrs. back down in the same weather conditions.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Te-Te likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Beemerdoc

Beemerdoc Grumpy Old Fart Subscriber

Welcome home, Dean!
    Now,

:needpics:

Shominy likes this.
  3. So here we go.

About eight miles in from base camp and down below Mystic Lake, we encountered Carbon Glacier. This is a really dirty glacier, as it's name suggests, and looks like dog poop :). Piled over with moraine, soil and rock it really is the opposite of pristine. Much of the debris is due to avalanche and rockfall from above- right where we are going! :eek2: This is one of the reasons that there are SARs and deaths on this route every year. We all were wearing avalanche beacons, just in case...

It does have a couple of superlatives tho:
    -- it is the lowest elevation glacier in CONUS.
    -- being about 6mi long and up to 700ft thick, it is the greatest in both measures in CONUS, and therefore wins in volume as well.

Back to what we were up to here- this is the end of the glacier which pours its soul into the Carbon River. The very cool waterfalls out of the glacier made a refreshing place for breakfast. :)

Carbon was a bit rough to traverse, what with all of the topical debris and we have to clear this glacier to reach Liberty Ridge.
    carbon-mysiclake.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. Beemerdoc

That's pretty cool, but may I point out that "pics" is plural?

Te-Te and Shominy like this.
  5. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

Why bother with audio. This is more interesting.
    Perhaps one day you'll provide us with a descriptive tale from someplace tropical.

Shominy likes this.
  6. Yeah, they're coming.

Te-Te likes this.

7. Danke.

Eh, tropical. I am a northern sorta guy and have never been below the 36th.

Te-Te likes this.
  8. After getting near the top of Carbon Glacier, we are treated to this view; Carbon is at the bottom right half. Liberty Ridge (our route) is the 'spine' right of center, and we will follow that up to Liberty Cap (the apparent summit in this photo). I say "apparent" because the actual summit at 14,411' is 20 mins beyond that, at Columbia on the other side of the caldera. But to get there, we have to descend off of our perch and cross the region that you see separating us from Lib Ridge.

Crevasses are a danger here because of the lateral stresses this glacial mass feels as it splits into Carbon (R) and Winthrop (L) glaciers. EYES OPEN! Fortunately, there has been no recent snowfall to create trap door situations.

Look at that snow/ice sheet that will be above us while moving up Liberty. Though not peak avalanche season, it can happen at any time and the danger today, really the last three days, is the sun's warmth having weakened it. Rockfalls are available to any climber year-round, so.....

We did hear a distant, resonant, echo-ey crack about 10 mins after this shot and when we looked, there was a (small?) avalanche occurring on the Willis Wall, which is what you see to the left of Liberty Ridge. Here we go, game on...

CurtisRidge.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Hyperion, John James, Te-Te and 3 others like this.
  9. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

This quote will remain with me. I've always felt this way, though. No one goes to their grave wishing they worked more hours. Yet I know a few who believe their job is their life.

Shominy likes this.
  10. The Winthrop/Carbon crossing and as expected, crevasse dangers. No rope and fall into one means little hope. Crossing Winthrop_Carbon.jpg

Getting on with the Liberty Ridge ascent. Finn in orange, me in green leading this pitch. This climb was a sometimes 50 degree climb. Must.... keep... eyes... and... ears... alert to ice and rock falls from above (and from under our feet- yikes !)

LibertyRidge.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    onepixel, Beemerdoc and Te-Te like this.
  11. Te-Te

Te-Te Learning never exhausts the mind. Subscriber

Wow, really great stuff Dean! I'm enjoying this thread very much. :beerchug:

:lurk:

Shominy likes this.

12. Thanks, Terence.

Te-Te likes this.
  13. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Awesome adventures! Thanks for sharing.

Shominy likes this.
  14. Beemerdoc

Thanks, Dean. That is way cool.
    I was having a hard time understanding the first glacier picture. I am a water rat by nature.

Thomas

Shominy likes this.
  15. After clearing Liberty Ridge, a look back at the crevasse field on Carbon and Winthrop that we negotiated two hours before.

WinthropFromLibRidge.jpg

Another view of the ice wall climb, and Mark leading the pitch, to get atop the upper snowfield between Lib Ridge and Lib Cap.

IceClimbTo LibCap.jpg

Beemerdoc, Te-Te and Hyperion like this.
  16. On the upper snowfield in the march to Liberty Cap.

HighSnowfieldToLibertyCap.jpg

Beemerdoc, Te-Te and Hyperion like this.

17. Another view- Finn at the top of Liberty Ridge with me, and Mark trailing below, ready to ascend the ice wall up onto the snowfield. Looking eastward from our north side route on Rainier.

Climb Liberty Ridge+++.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 5:45 PM
  18. Te-Te likes this.
  19. Welp, after a small accident it was fortunate that each of us brought backup jackets- otherwise...

Anyway, topped-out on Liberty Cap. Still not at the true summit.
    Topped-out_LCap.jpg

Crossing over Liberty Cap and seeing the caldera- Mark leads us into it.
    1stPersonView_Caldera.jpg

Some summiting relief and funny business because... WE MADE IT, DAMMIT !!
    summit_splay.jpg

SummitJoy.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 5:26 AM
    John James, Te-Te and Beemerdoc like this.
  20. Now, for a little socialization with another pair of summitters who were already on top of the rock when we arrived. It seems that we were the only climbers who climbed the north side of the mountain. Everyone we spoke with came up from Paradise and through Camp Muir on the south side (the popular route)

Finn and me (under the red helmet).

Self_RainierSummit.jpg

Another, very nice pair of ladies on the rock- Annie and Lynn.
    LadiesSummit.jpg

20 more minutes and we reached Columbia Crest- the true summit at 14,411'. Yay! That is me on the hump. I was not on this spot the first climb and it just felt different.

Me_ColumbiaCrest.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    Te-Te and Beemerdoc like this.