Shopping For A New Car...

savatage1973

Addicted Member
As the title says, I am in the market for a new car. First, a bit of advice--never give the salesman your "real" phone number or e-mail address--like vultures on a f**king fresh roadkill.

Requirements:

4 door sedan
MUST fit 4 (or 5) "real" human beings--back seat space a priority
RWD or AWD ONLY
Minimum 400 hp
Advanced automatic or stick tranny
NOT look like every other car on the road
Price--preferably $80K or under

Replacing a Chevrolet SS (Commodore Holden)--total loss due to accident that is not replaceable--discontinued.

If I was looking for a car in that range, I would probably go for a Tesla S. It fits all your requirements.

Last edited:
Man with 80K you have a lot of options. I'm a GM truck and SUV guy so I can't help with a sedan.

Aluminum bodied like Audi A8 or Tesla and at the least a heavily galvanized steel body like a Porsche or other Audi. Maybe BMW is in there with a 12 yr rust warranty added a few years ago. MB rust!

If rust is no worry a nice Cad CTS or CT6 for me as I wouldn't drive it in the winter!

Tesla may be negative to some in that they will lock it up if anyone but their people service it so I've read. Maybe wrong there! Hopefully after warranty your free to do what you want there! LOL!

Last edited:
So far--in the running are an AMG Benz and a Porsche Panamera 4 E hybrid--just drove a friend's Tesla, but not a long enough umbilical cord--it is "balls to the wall" for a few miles, but I want the gas option. The 80K figure is not a limit, the Porsche is winning thus far and over 100K.

For reference, the current stable is Chevy Silverado 3500HD diesel, Challenger HellCat and Suburban 2500 "law enforcement" package. Fuel mileage is not a factor.

The Jag is looking interesting. BMW doesn't seem to have their "poop in a group" in this market segment. The Panamera and Benz are still winning hard. Why won't Lincoln or Cadillac get there?

Lincoln is FWD based. BMW Alpina may fit the bill as a brother bought a used 2015 5 series with 550HP from twin turbos & AWD . He is very happy with it!

Another option is a custom built 50's , 60's..70's car of your taste restomodded with the latest suspension/drivetrain etc. You for sure won't see another!

Just got the wife a Volvo S-90 , T5 , AWD SUV . What a nice ride with all the bells and whistles . A endless amount of safety features . It's our fits non American vehicle , etc Gmc , Ford or Chrysler . Just got tired of the poor or questionable quality of there vehicles. Still have a Ford , Gmc , Chrysler in the driveway .

2017-Volvo-V90-R-Design-Concept.jpg
Just got the wife a Volvo S-90 , T5 , AWD SUV . What a nice ride with all the bells and whistles . A endless amount of safety features . It's our fits non American vehicle , etc Gmc , Ford or Chrysler . Just got tired of the poor or questionable quality of there vehicles. Still have a Ford , Gmc , Chrysler in the driveway .

I was going to suggest the new Volvo V-90 R wagon. I've had a few older Volvo wagons and loved them. I think the new one is a really good looking car.
2017-volvo-v90-r-design-new

xjpju4

Last edited:
I got to drive the Jag--not an easy feat since not just every dealer has one. Very impressive car (but it ought to be--the sticker is just north of $125K). Downside is that it is substantially more than I wanted to spend, but the upside is that it is a dealer demo with 2200 miles on it--general manager's demo car, so it can/wll be significantly discounted. It is a deep pewter metallic (Carpathian Grey) with black rims and black/charcoal interior. I'd rather have all black on black on black, but I can't get a $20+K discount if they have to source one from another dealer, and this one is a good looking car as it is.

I really didn't want to go the whole way to $100K for a car, but my buddy's wife just bought a loaded Escalade that stickered just under $100K, and that is nothing more than a leather-wrapped Suburban IMO. It seems there is a rather clear demarcation line at around $50K--anything under that mark is all about the same in looks and performance, and as soon as you crack that barrier, the prices climb very rapidly.(as in $10K increments).

The Benz is out, and the Porsche is teetering on the edge. The Benz is compromised in back seat headroom (due to its coupe-like styling), and not a lot of trunk space. The Porsche is just expensive and every dealer has at least a dozen of them, and they aren't giving them away, despite the rather large inventory. BMW doesn't really have anything that appeals to me (their big sedans are "dated")--neither does Audi, and Maserati was never really an option due to their history of reliability (or lack thereof), small dealer network, and the fact that their flagship sedan looks like a bloated Buick. The new Alfa's are getting rave reviews, but the only Alfa I ever owned was a Spyder (30 years ago), and I still can't get that taste out of my mouth.

From the total loss of my other car back in May, and the sale of my bike, I have $70K cash readily available, and can gather up the rest, or live with a car payment for a couple years (would be no more than a payment on an Accord or Camry), but I haven't had a car payment since 1998 (other than work trucks, and that is the business, not me, personally).

Someone chime in and talk me out of this before I call the dealer back today! :eek: :crazy:

Reading that last paragraph back to myself, it just drips of "justification" ;) Someone save me...

I know this may not be what you are looking for, but my 2014 Buick LaCrosse is plenty big enough for 4 humans, is real quiet and comfortable, and is scary fast for an Old Man car. (at 56 I think I may be the youngest owner) Not the prestige you might be going for, but a really nice car in the $50K range and the audio system is not half bad either.

Back
Top Bottom