Shopping for an LP12

CavScout

There is one local to me for $1800.
It is in beautiful condition and has an SMS 3009 series 2 tonearm.
Is this a good turntable?

Difficult to say without seeing some pictures. With a 3009, it's probably an older deck, but may have had some upgrades?

jeff

There is one local to me for $1800.
It is in beautiful condition and has an SMS 3009 series 2 tonearm.
Is this a good turntable?
Bear in mind that turntables have parts that wear out, such as the 'tables main bearing, motor, power supply, suspension parts, and tone arm bearings. I bought a new LP12 in 1985, then traded it in towards the new Cirkus model in 1993. 18 years later, my 1993 LP12 was beginning to show wear in the main bearing, though I was told it likely wouldn't be audibly significant for another 3 years or so. This was expected since both the dealer and the Linn rep had said that the estimated bearing life with regular use was about 20 years. Before putting your money down, you might inquire about how many years the current components in the LP12 you're considering have been in there. Maybe the bearing was replaced not many years ago; maybe it's already had power supply and motor replacements in its lifetime. Some people replaced the springs/grommets in the suspension every five years or so, at the same interval as replacing the belt. As to the tone arm, the SME 3009 Series II was discontinued in 1973 (replaced by the series II Improved), so it's at least 44 years old. Are you buying from a dealer competent to assess the condition of both the 'table and arm? Can they estimate how much time you have before needing parts replacements? Is it a Linn dealer who can do a comparative audition against a new Majik LP12 ($4320, but the dust cover and hinges are extra)? Are the Linn's strengths complementary to your other components and system goals? Are there new turntables in the $1800 range that might actually work better in your system plus be worry-free in terms of parts/service for the next 20 years? I think these are all questions to consider in deciding whether or not what you're looking at is a good turntable.

Awesome info, thanks.
I never thought of any of that stuff.
It is for sale at a local vintage audio shop.
One thing that concerns me is that if I ask those questions and I get nothing but positive answers how am I supposed to qualify the accuracy of those answers.
What I mean is what is stopping the seller from just saying all those things were replaced fairly recently ?

I own an LP12--purchased new in 1985. Literally thousands of dollars in upgrades/modifications over the years--it is the perfect "tabula roso" to work with, as there are so many well-documented mods/upgrades to do--some may see that as a weakness, others a strength--but if you want it "perfect" to your ears, plan on investing money, and I think the asking price is high, but that is just me. Good Luck!!!

Awesome info, thanks.
I never thought of any of that stuff.
It is for sale at a local vintage audio shop.
One thing that concerns me is that if I ask those questions and I get nothing but positive answers how am I supposed to qualify the accuracy of those answers.
What I mean is what is stopping the seller from just saying all those things were replaced fairly recently ?
By "vintage audio shop" do you mean a store that deals strictly in used gear? If so, they are not going to be an authorized Linn dealer, and their staff likely has not had any of the information and training the Linn dealers receive. Their information about the piece might be restricted to whatever the person they got it from told them. That doesn't make it a bad buy; after all, Linn is still in business, and any and all parts can be replaced over time as needed. You might love the way it sounds now, and it could provide that level of performance for some time to come. It's just that with used, especially from someone who doesn't specialize in Linn, you're going to be less certain of just what you've got, and you're going to have a shorter life span for wearable parts than you would if buying new. Will you have an opportunity to hear it in your system before buying, or at least with a return option if you don't care for how it sounds in your home? Are there other options in your area that you can audition to compare it against? In my opinion, auditioning different options is the best way to be sure you're getting good value for your money, but getting it home and finding yourself saying, "I can't believe how great this is!" is another way of validating the purchase.

jrtrent's advice here is sensible. Linns can be finicky on suspension setup and maintenance and care. Linn does a superb job supporting even older LP 12 turntables. And upgrades are out there and many since this was built.

I am going to pass on it. If I am going to pay $1800 then I won't want to spend any more for at least 10 years

I am going to pass on it. If I am going to pay $1800 then I won't want to spend any more for at least 10 years
Buying new seems the best course, then. There are lots of great turntables in the price range you mentioned, such as the Rega Planar 6, Clearaudio Concept, and SOTA Comet series IV. I've found great satisfaction in the more humble Rega RP3 (superseded by the new Planar 3) with Shure M97xE cartridge; in my current system I couldn't ask for better sound or a more engaging performance.

Do you have dealers available where you can audition equipment to hear which models have the strengths you appreciate most, or are you going to need to depend on reviews and forum opinion to help make your selection?

Back
Top Bottom