Short Interconnectors / Patch Cords

BKville

I need two single short interconnectors / patch cords for bridging my amps.. I couldn't find anything... Can someone point me in the right direction.. Or maybe even better if someone would make up two the length I need...

Thanks, Brent

They are easy to make and you can buy just the plugs at Radio Shack and use your choice of cable. You have some Fishers that share chassis but need ICs to connect? That about drove me nuts......a tuner not connected to the preamp it shared a chassis and faceplate with. I thought it was broken.

Thatch_Ear said:
They are easy to make and you can buy just the plugs at Radio Shack and use your choice of cable. You have some Fishers that share chassis but need ICs to connect? That about drove me nuts......a tuner not connected to the preamp it shared a chassis and faceplate with. I thought it was broken.

That would really annoy you,Thatch

Merry Christmas

Alan

Brent do you need Y's or short RCA's? I have some parts express 3' RCA's if you need singles you just pull them apart, they are nothing fancy jsut plain cables I could send you a set if you need them.

Thatch, I have my NAD 2150 and 3150 amps bridged.. Yeah, that would be the best and easiest way but I physically can't do it...

Thanks Thor, I have a bunch of 3' and 6' cables and 6 big ass single cables that came with the NAD amps..

I also saw those 1.5' cables at Parts Express.. Thanks...

I'm trying to eliminate the mess of cables I have now.. If I had 1 cable 6"-8" and 1 to go between the left pre-out and right main-in I'd be stylin'.. Hahaha..

Later, Brent

Brent,

I would be happy to cobble up some 6 inch interconnects for you out of my 6000 foot roll of magnet wire. If you can wait, that is. This weekend I have to finish up the record-cleaning test we are doing over a the vinyl forum, but I would be happy to get to it next week.

magnet wire makes good I/C's IMO. Doesn't have to be exotic stuff for superconductor NMR magnets, either... even the Radio Shack stuff works well :)

Mine is nice-looking, but not exotic. It is covered with clear shellac and does a great job. I use bare naked RS RCAs (the cheapest and lightest I can find). I find they do a better job than the huge "connector jewlery" that's in fashion right now.

Has anyone here experimented with making interconnects similar to CAT5 or CAT6 wiring ? I am curious but don't have time or $$s at the moment for something that might not be any improvement.

CAT5 also makes decent interconnects. Vacuum tube amp guru Gary Kaufman uses 'em, as you can see in this photo of his "Shishido 12BH7 Push-Pull Amplifier"

amp3.jpg

www.the-planet.org

Cat 5 is supposed to be great for speaker wire. I personally find that the thinner the wire in my ICs (28AWG and up) the better they sound.

The TNT audio site has some step by step stuff related to making cat5 speaker wire. It seems like a long and involved process...but cat5 is easy to find for free and at that price, anything is worth trying...if you have the time.

Those cat 5 ICs in the pic look neat though!

I reside in the small, unwashed minority on this, but get Wasatch to make you up a pair of their 105 cables in the proper termination and length. You'll never go back to the cheap-shit cables once you hear a good set.

CAT5 'as is' makes very good speaker cabling. I use twisted pairs of CAT5 as speaker cable for my Paramour 2A3 SET monoblocks and like it quite a bit better than the 16-ga zipcord it replaced (I am not much of a 'believer' in exotic cabling).

Single runs of CAT5 work OK, too. I use all the solids for "+" and all the stripeys for "-". CAT5 should be low capacitance, but I recommend caution using it with amps suspected to be unstable into reactive loads... just in case!

MannyE said:
Brent,

I would be happy to cobble up some 6 inch interconnects for you out of my 6000 foot roll of magnet wire. If you can wait, that is. This weekend I have to finish up the record-cleaning test we are doing over a the vinyl forum, but I would be happy to get to it next week.

I'd really appreciate that... And I'm in no hurry.. I'll PM you...

WOW... 6000'.... Ha...

Thanks, Brent

MCM electronics audio cable

The cheapest good stuff I have found is the bulk audio cable from MCM electronics with their compression RCA's.Cable is shielded teflon stuff,and the RCA's are around $2 each.I have all my stuff wired up with it.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom