Shorted Output Transistors, Fuses Blowing

The TO-66 was almost gone, but apparently some are back, made by Central Semiconductor, even a 4 Amps PNP type usable for old amps is there. (I could not find a 4 Amps PNP type for some time). Watch out some types are darlingtons.
Select TO-66 and TO-66-2 at Mouser .
Expensive, they are........

we're jumping around here.

VOM on any two pins that yields 0 resistance means it's shorted and therefore BORG'd.

testing pulls with missing pins means there's the possibility that the metal flat-portion
is electrically the active (and missing) pin. you will need to look at the datasheet to confirm/deny.

you would do well to look for modern day equivalents for the simple reason that, if you buy NOS
and the circuit still has problems, you will blow the (expensive/rare) replacements.

just posted in another topic: the easiest way to protect old sansui main amps, because the power fuses are usually accessible from the side.

fuseres.jpg

Thank you all again for your help!

She's been up and running for several hours since I replaced the output transistors, no issues, running nice and cool and sounding good. Now to tackle the dead tone pots and lack of bass...

I best start another thread :rolleyes:

IMG_20190110_174452.jpg
DSC03062.JPG

I doubt that you will be able to plug the TO-66 case transistors into the test jack on your meter, so you'll have to test them the old-fashioned way.

If/when you find failed output transistors, you may also find that they are no longer available. A TO-220 case device will probably have to be fit into its place, something like this:

index.php

cb3472b8170ef4596f302631ce1bf494f1a6ce96.jpg

MJE15030G and MJE15031G should be suitable replacements for your two output types.

From a manufacturer's application guide:

Retrofitting TO-66 and TO-3 with TO-220 00.png
Retrofitting TO-66 and TO-3 with TO-220 01.png
Retrofitting TO-66 and TO-3 with TO-220 02.png

Back
Top Bottom